Hunter Silberman School Fall 2019 Admissions

ML878

On 3/13/2019 at 6:12 PM, Jberridge said:

Hi again! 

I had my interview this morning and wanted to share in case anyone here still has an upcoming one scheduled. There were 8 others in the room and we started exactly on time. The interviewer was very nice and understood a lot of us were nervous and really tried to put us at ease, she said If you were interviewing you were more than half way to an acceptance, and this was a way of putting a face to your application. I would say to prep, think about your volunteer/work experiences and how that is shaping your goals, why hunter? and be prepared for follow up questions about your experiences such as how you dealt with certain things or what you’ve learned about yourself, etc. We then had a scenario that was a bit tricky that we discussed as a group while she listened, followed by the writing piece. I found the writing to be the most intense (even the interviewer said she thinks they should pick a different article) because it you have 25 minutes to read and respond to the article and it was a 3 paged article with small font, and the content was a little dense, by the time I had read and highlighted a few things I only had about 10 minutes. But all in all I think it went well. I would say take your time and think about your responses, and relax and think of it as more of a discussion like you would have in class, and try to be genuine as opposed to what you think they want to hear. Also make sure you’re answering the actual question asked! A lot of people didn’t and got side tracked and carried away talking about specific situations at work that were not relevant, and of course stay away from personal experiences, as they remind you. 

Hope that was helpful to anyone else ( if there even is anyone else) who still needs to interview. Best of luck!

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing that. It helps to ease some of my anxiety since I've never done a group interview before. 

So I submitted my application on 2/27 (one day before the deadline for the OYR). My dashboard at the moment has not been updated with receival of my agency executive form, transcript, etc. It only shows my application has been submitted and that my recommendations have been submitted. Should I be concerned? I know it's only been two weeks but reading through the forum, it doesn't seem others have experienced this problem. Appreciate your time! Also, I'm so encouraged reading the forum, just everyone being helpful and nice :) 

Edited by SandyT

59 minutes ago, SandyT said:

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing that. It helps to ease some of my anxiety since I've never done a group interview before. 

So I submitted my application on 2/27 (one day before the deadline for the OYR). My dashboard at the moment has not been updated with receival of my agency executive form, transcript, etc. It only shows my application has been submitted and that my recommendations have been submitted. Should I be concerned? I know it's only been two weeks but reading through the forum, it doesn't seem others have experienced this problem. Appreciate your time! Also, I'm so encouraged reading the forum, just everyone being helpful and nice :) 

No problem! Glad that was actually useful to someone and I didn’t type it all for nothing lol. I actually don’t know much about the OYR program Because I applied for the 2 year. It could just be taking the system time to update, though 2 weeks is a pretty decent amount of time, I know I sent in my transcripts after my application and my dashboard reflected that within a few days. So I would ask when you go in for your interview or call, from what I’ve heard emails are not worth dealing with when it comes to Hunter. Best of luck! ?

18 hours ago, SandyT said:

Did you upload copies of your transcript ETC to the online application or just mail them? Maybe that's why it's taking a bit longer? I'm sure it couldn't hurt to call and confirm that they have received your documents. Good luck!

3 hours ago, Rhodalikesducks said:

Did you upload copies of your transcript ETC to the online application or just mail them? Maybe that's why it's taking a bit longer? I'm sure it couldn't hurt to call and confirm that they have received your documents. Good luck!

I submitted my transcript online but I did mail out my agency executive form which I feel like is taking the longest time. I'm gonna call next week, just to ease my anxiety! And it seems like people have had good results when calling, like they were able to have their questions answered, etc. 

Best of luck to you too! I saw that you also applied for the OYR program. I would give them a call just to check but I wouldn't worry too much since it seems not everyone is getting an interview. If you completed everything awhile back and you haven't heard from them or no changes on your dashboard, give them a call.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:34 AM, Rhodalikesducks said:

Has anyone else applied for the OYR program gotten a response? I also didn't have to interview and I'm still in shock!

Wow congrats! You're so lucky you didn't have to interview. I just received an email on Wednesday and my interview is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. Crossing my fingers I don't forget how to breathe?

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:53 PM, SandyT said:

I mailed my agency executive form on 2/23 and by 2/27 they received it and my application was complete. My official transcript I ordered and had it directly mailed to the school and I don't recall this taking much time either. Definitely give them a call on Monday and see what's up! 

On 3/15/2019 at 11:54 PM, Stephanie592 said:

I mailed my agency executive form on 2/23 and by 2/27 they received it and my application was complete. My official transcript I ordered and had it directly mailed to the school and I don't recall this taking much time either. Definitely give them a call on Monday and see what's up! 

Ahhh good to know, thanks for sharing! Will definitely be calling tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's not too big of an issue.

Good luck with your application :)

15 hours ago, SandyT said:

Ahhh good to know, thanks for sharing! Will definitely be calling tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's not too big of an issue.

Good luck with your application :)

I know you have until April 15th to send in your hard copy of the OYR and you don't need to send in your official transcripts until you're accepted. As long as you submitted your unofficial transcripts onto the portal, that will be enough for them to make a decision. I hope this helped! Good luck!!

Edited by Rhodalikesducks

I received my acceptance earlier today as well for the 2yr clinical track!! I interviewed last Wednesday. So excited! I’m still waiting on Columbia, but unless they give me a pretty hefty financial aid package, it’ll be a no brainer to go for Hunter! 

Hi Prospects, 
I used this blog to ease my anxiety during the application, interview, result process, and I hope this is of use to some of you! 

Program: OYR
Background: 5 years of work experience in a mental health department as a case manager and a 2.9 GPA (do not lose hope! you must try!) 
Timeline:
1/30 submitted app (last rec was submitted on 2/28)
3/7 my appt status was "pending interview" (no email) 
3/13 I called them that my status changed but didn't receive an email. A few moments later, I received an Eventbrite link to schedule an interview. 
3/16 interviewed with 7 other applicants. The writing part really, seriously, no joke, most definitely stumped me (but they still accepted me so DO NOT lose hope when you get to this stage!!!!) 
3/18 10:30am, my app status said "final decision" and I scrolled to the bottom to see a link that said I got accepted!! 

Remember to be kind to yourself and that everything will be ok! Positive vibes to you all and best of luck!  

Side-note: I just found the Hunter stat book if anyone is looking: http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/communications-office/Factbook2017.html

Edited by lalas
choice of words

On 3/18/2019 at 9:11 AM, Rhodalikesducks said:

I know you have until April 15th to send in your hard copy of the OYR and you don't need to send in your official transcripts until you're accepted. As long as you submitted your unofficial transcripts onto the portal, that will be enough for them to make a decision. I hope this helped! Good luck!!

It was helpful, thanks!

A quick update for everyone, in case others are on the same boat at me:

So I had to call twice cause when the first time I called, they just said they didn't receive my form and didn't further look into the case. The second time I called, I let the student ambassador know that I did mail it out and that there may be a disconnect because I mailed it before I submitted my application. She then went and found it! She immediately updated my application. So it might be that because Hunter gets a lot of applicants, sometimes it doesn't hurt to call and give them a nudge (for anyone who's reading through this forum and wary of calling). The other concern I have at this time is that everything is submitted but my application still says incomplete. I'm not sure if it's because my transcript is the unofficial one, even though they said unofficial is okay until your acceptance. I'm gonna give it a few days for the system to update and will probably call again haha

1 hour ago, SandyT said:

It was helpful, thanks!

A quick update for everyone, in case others are on the same boat at me:

So I had to call twice cause when the first time I called, they just said they didn't receive my form and didn't further look into the case. The second time I called, I let the student ambassador know that I did mail it out and that there may be a disconnect because I mailed it before I submitted my application. She then went and found it! She immediately updated my application. So it might be that because Hunter gets a lot of applicants, sometimes it doesn't hurt to call and give them a nudge (for anyone who's reading through this forum and wary of calling). The other concern I have at this time is that everything is submitted but my application still says incomplete. I'm not sure if it's because my transcript is the unofficial one, even though they said unofficial is okay until your acceptance. I'm gonna give it a few days for the system to update and will probably call again haha

Hey!

So mine was marked incomplete because I only uploaded my unofficial transcript and when I called the man told me "applications aren't complete just because the documents are in -- someone has mark them so." And then two minutes later my application no longer said incomplete, so I would call sooner than later!

Edited by jonnn

Good Evening,

I submitted my application to Hunter for  the Advanced Standing MSW Program on 02/01/2019 and was accepted 03/20/2019 without an interview. I myself was shocked that I didn’t have to do a group interview. I was later emailed my acceptance package.

I am going crazy with anxiety. I only applied to Hunter cause it was just the best fit for me. I applied on the day of the deadline for the OYR 3/1, everything was complete 3/20. I know it has only been a few days but I am so anxious and have been obsessively checking everyday multiple times a day, I need help. I am crossing my fingers, and sending positive vibes out to the universe that I get in. Anyone apply on the deadline and heard back yet? I know it is super early to hear back but I can't help it. Really hope I get in, I will keep everyone posted!

Edited by Glenda

7 hours ago, jonnn said:

Hey! Have any of my last minute apply-ers heard anything back yet?

I applied the day of the deadline 3/1, and everything was complete by 3/20, I haven't heard anything yet but it is still too soon. I am going nuts checking every minute. When did you apply and to what?

On 3/22/2019 at 4:18 PM, ACMSW said:

Good Evening,

I submitted my application to Hunter for  the Advanced Standing MSW Program on 02/01/2019 and was accepted 03/20/2019 without an interview. I myself was shocked that I didn’t have to do a group interview. I was later emailed my acceptance package.

Congratulations!!!! Are you considering Hunter as your school?

On 3/22/2019 at 6:46 PM, Glenda said:

I am going crazy with anxiety. I only applied to Hunter cause it was just the best fit for me. I applied on the day of the deadline for the OYR 3/1, everything was complete 3/20. I know it has only been a few days but I am so anxious and have been obsessively checking everyday multiple times a day, I need help. I am crossing my fingers, and sending positive vibes out to the universe that I get in. Anyone apply on the deadline and heard back yet? I know it is super early to hear back but I can't help it. Really hope I get in, I will keep everyone posted!

Hey, I would definitely give it some time. I believe they said it takes up to 4-8 weeks to review and to move forward in the process. As long as it's completed, I wouldn't fret and just wait. I know a lot of people have been accepted already but I also know there's a lot who is still waiting for a response. Hope this helps a bit, I totally understand checking your email/dashboard everyday! haha 

On 3/19/2019 at 1:38 PM, jonnn said:

Hey!

So mine was marked incomplete because I only uploaded my unofficial transcript and when I called the man told me "applications aren't complete just because the documents are in -- someone has mark them so." And then two minutes later my application no longer said incomplete, so I would call sooner than later!

Yup, same thing just happened to me. It's kinda frustrating that I have to call everytime for one follow-up. It's pretty stressful but at least it's completed now. I just have to wait for the next step in the process. Thanks for your input! Best of luck with you :) 

2 hours ago, SandyT said:

Hey, I would definitely give it some time. I believe they said it takes up to 4-8 weeks to review and to move forward in the process. As long as it's completed, I wouldn't fret and just wait. I know a lot of people have been accepted already but I also know there's a lot who is still waiting for a response. Hope this helps a bit, I totally understand checking your email/dashboard everyday! haha 

I just received an invitation for an interview!. I am super excited!

Hi all just wanted to give a bit of background on my timeline for the application process. 

I applied for the OYR program on 2/26/19 and my application was completed on 3/20/19. I received an email for a group interview on 03/25/19 and will be interviewing this week. I'm basically a ball of jumbled nerves but it is really awesome to hear about everyone's experiences. And I'll be sure to update if I hear anything back. Sending everyone positive vibes! 

For those of you who’ve submitted your enrollment deposit—did you receive a confirmation email of some kind? And if so, does it provide more info on any next steps we need to take? I mailed in my form and check on Saturday and wanted to know if I should plan to call them if I don’t hear anything. Thanks!!

(P.S. good luck to those who are still in the interview stages!)