Hunter Silberman School Fall 2019 Admissions

ML878

FYI, I reached out about scholarships and was informed they’re generally awarded during the first semester of classes. Professors typically will nominate students or you will need to fill out an application (these don’t become available until start of the semester, with September deadline). Decisions are usually made by December. Scholarships range from $1,200 to full tuition. Hope this helps!

Accepted! I haven't gotten my email yet but I logged in to my account again and it said my admissions decision was made available today! So excited, as now I've heard back from every program I applied to and can make a decision. Still irritated with a lack of responsiveness from the school about visiting from out of state next week though :(

15 hours ago, asr13b said:

Accepted! I haven't gotten my email yet but I logged in to my account again and it said my admissions decision was made available today! So excited, as now I've heard back from every program I applied to and can make a decision. Still irritated with a lack of responsiveness from the school about visiting from out of state next week though :(

I got this today too but when I click on the link for the decision it doesn't take me anywhere! Does yours say accepted somewhere? 

On 2/27/2019 at 2:49 PM, HaroldAguiar said:

My interview is this Friday 11am.  I'm kind of freaking out, so anxious right now.  Anyone else has an interview coming up?

Which track did you apply to? Did you attend the interview? How was it? What kind of questions did they ask? Did they explain why some people are being accepted without interviews while others are being interviewed? Would love to hear everything and if you got accepted. TIA

I am so confused because I just got my decision and I GOT IN! But I didn't go through the interview process so I am absolutely lost. I even called the Admissions office and they said not everyone gets an interview and she verified it as well. Has this happened to anyone else? Because another person who works at my current site also was accepted but without an interview as well. I am excited but also wondering if this was a fluke of some kind.

41 minutes ago, socialjusticeSW said:

I am so confused because I just got my decision and I GOT IN! But I didn't go through the interview process so I am absolutely lost. I even called the Admissions office and they said not everyone gets an interview and she verified it as well. Has this happened to anyone else? Because another person who works at my current site also was accepted but without an interview as well. I am excited but also wondering if this was a fluke of some kind.

My understanding is that they are being sued for having an illegal and discriminatory admissions process so they are changing the way they do things but not sure why they are interviewing some people while accepting others without an interview. Perhaps someone who went to the interview can answer to that. 

If they are gonna scrap the interview process, they should do it for all or keep the process for everyone. I sent in my application few days before the deadline and just got an email and acceptance package via email. Hunter sure seems to be in a rush. They except me to respond by the 15th but thats when U at Buffalo is due which is my first choice.... :(

6 hours ago, tpg13 said:

I got this today too but when I click on the link for the decision it doesn't take me anywhere! Does yours say accepted somewhere? 

I had to scroll to the bottom of the page and all the way down there it allowed me to click to see the decision.

5 hours ago, kbourgie said:

I'm confused-- one of Hunter's web pages says the deadline to apply is March 10, one says Feb 1. Does anyone know what the official deadline is? 

There’s a ton of different programs but: Traditional Full Time 2 Year was due in Feb 1st. Advanced Standing 1 Year is due March 10 and I believe there’s another due date for the OYR. 

Just received my email to choose an interview date. It says that after you interview you hear back in three weeks, which is just too long in my opinion it took them 7 weeks just to tell me they want to interview me

I  received an email to choose my interview date. I only had the choice between this Thursday and Friday evenings. So Thursday it is. Anyone who has gone through the interview care to shed some light on the process? 

I got an extension from Fordham in the meantime, but only until next Monday. No word back yet on NYU. 

Hi all!!! I have been anxiously stalking these threads as I await a decision and wanted to give my two cents and share my timeline. My application was completed on February 1st (two year). I received an invitation for an interview on 2/13 and requested a Skype interview from California. I interviewed on 2/26 (one week ago today) and haven’t heard back yet. I have been accepted to NYU and Fordham, but Hunter is my top top choice! The Skype interview was myself and two other people. The interviewer asked what we were currently doing for social work and why we chose the specific track, what we’re doing to prepare for graduate school, and then gave several scenerios (specific to clinical work) which I felt were meant to determine our thought processes within problem solving and ability to think like a clinician. They were meant to be stumpers - I pulled from the values of the school and core values of SW to answer with sprinkles of my own theory. I personally found the 2 hour process to be intense! And I don’t mean intense in a bad way, but my advice would be to try and stay focused. I’m an anxious type and during my writing sample I felt like I had just run a marathon and wasn’t writing as strongly because my brain was foggy and I was adrenaline crashing. The article was dense and the alotted 45 minutes went fast for me and I love writing. Felt like I was turning in garbage but I tried to focus on answering the prompts and summarizing the main points of the article. Did anyone else do a Skype interview recently?

2 hours ago, Zeppelin14 said:

Hi all!!! I have been anxiously stalking these threads as I await a decision and wanted to give my two cents and share my timeline. My application was completed on February 1st (two year). I received an invitation for an interview on 2/13 and requested a Skype interview from California. I interviewed on 2/26 (one week ago today) and haven’t heard back yet. I have been accepted to NYU and Fordham, but Hunter is my top top choice! The Skype interview was myself and two other people. The interviewer asked what we were currently doing for social work and why we chose the specific track, what we’re doing to prepare for graduate school, and then gave several scenerios (specific to clinical work) which I felt were meant to determine our thought processes within problem solving and ability to think like a clinician. They were meant to be stumpers - I pulled from the values of the school and core values of SW to answer with sprinkles of my own theory. I personally found the 2 hour process to be intense! And I don’t mean intense in a bad way, but my advice would be to try and stay focused. I’m an anxious type and during my writing sample I felt like I had just run a marathon and wasn’t writing as strongly because my brain was foggy and I was adrenaline crashing. The article was dense and the alotted 45 minutes went fast for me and I love writing. Felt like I was turning in garbage but I tried to focus on answering the prompts and summarizing the main points of the article. Did anyone else do a Skype interview recently?

Thanks for this. My email said that they will notify within three weeks of the interview. Good luck!

I am so glad I found this forum because I was nervous that I got rejected based on how long it took Hunter to get back to me. So my timeline was my application was completed 11/30/18, then I got an email to be scheduled for a skype interview which I had last week 2/26/19. They told me that I would hear within 3 weeks, but looking at other forums about Hunter, I saw that if you contact them and let them know other schools are waiting for your reply, that they might speed up the decision process. I applied for the 2 year program. I have until March 15th to give my response to another school, so hopefully I'll hear from Hunter either this week or next week about a decision.

Edited by adj_Hin

1 hour ago, adj_Hin said:

I am so glad I found this forum because I was nervous that I got rejected based on how long it took Hunter to get back to me. So my timeline was my application was completed 11/30/18, then I got an email to be scheduled for a skype interview which I had last week 2/26/19. They told me that I would hear within 3 weeks, but looking at other forums about Hunter, I saw that if you contact them and let them know other schools are waiting for your reply, that they might speed up the decision process. I applied for the 2 year program. I have until March 15th to give my response to another school, so hopefully I'll hear from Hunter either this week or next week about a decision.

I’m in the same boat! I have a week to get back to the other school. Did you call admissions and tell them that? 

2 minutes ago, Zeppelin14 said:

I’m in the same boat! I have a week to get back to the other school. Did you call admissions and tell them that? 

I Emailed Michelle Dessir and I emailed the Social Work Graduate admissions email as well, I haven't heard back from either of them and I emailed Monday.

Edited by adj_Hin

Hi, 

I applied beginning of January and mid February my application showed pending interview, I waited 2 weeks and finally called and asked what was going on. The student ambassador I spoke to said she'd forward my information to the correct people for an interview and the same day I received an email to schedule my interview. I have this Friday at 6:30pm. Has anyone here been through the in person interview yet and what questions were asked? What was the experience like?

I see some have gotten decisions. My application for OYR program was conpleted on 2/4 when my OYR agency form was finally completed. Still no interview, decision or anything.