Waitlist and Help Me Decide Thread 2019

imonfire98

10 hours ago, wannabeschoolpsych said:

Hi everyone. I'm considering emailing the director of my program because I haven't heard anything back about the waitlist and my position. I really just need clarity and peace in what is supposed to happen. I want to be prepared and am not sure if I should go ahead and start applying to jobs as alternative plans. Does anyone have any advice on how to word my email? I still want to come across as professional, interested, and patient. Thanks!

I would probably give it until Monday. Let them have the week to sort out things. I know it feels like it's been forever, but the deadline for funded offers was only 4 days ago, and if they are going to make new offers, they still might have to go through the same paperwork and vetting process with the graduate school and everything before they send out anything to waitlist people. They would've only started that process on Tuesday, once the deadline passed and they were sure about who had accepted what. Then I would simply say that I would like to know the status of my application, or something like that. Keep it simple. Just ask if you are still on the waitlist, or if the cohort has been filled. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Psyhopeful said:

I would probably give it until Monday. Let them have the week to sort out things. I know it feels like it's been forever, but the deadline for funded offers was only 4 days ago, and if they are going to make new offers, they still might have to go through the same paperwork and vetting process with the graduate school and everything before they send out anything to waitlist people. They would've only started that process on Tuesday, once the deadline passed and they were sure about who had accepted what. Then I would simply say that I would like to know the status of my application, or something like that. Keep it simple. Just ask if you are still on the waitlist, or if the cohort has been filled. Good luck!

An alternative account. I emailed the place I was waitlisted on Tuesday. Then, they emailed me back to schedule an interview for Wednesday (they mentioned in the email that they were glad I reached out and showed I was still interested) and we had the interview. Wednesday night I was accepted. So moral of the story, I dont think there's any harm in reaching out now to ask about your status and let them know if you have the intention to go there if you get off the waitlist.

I am glad to see I'm not alone! I actually sent an email to my director today. I had initially emailed him in late February, received no timeline, figured for SURE by now I would've heard...never did. I sent a really basic email thanking him and letting him know the school/program was still my top priority, and that I understood if he had no updates, but felt I should communicate that I'm still committed to hearing back from them. I feel a little better now because the waiting was getting to me. Could be all the way between May-June if some people drop off late. Keep me updated on your waitlist!