Choosing Between PhD Programs

So far, I've been offered admission into 2 programs. I'm having trouble deciding between them, and am looking for some advice...

PROGRAM A

- Prestigious university
- Smaller department
- 3 hours from where I live; would likely have to resign from current full-time job

PROGRAM B

- Less prestigious university
- Bigger department, but less geared for my research interests
- $5,000 more in funding per year than Program A
- 2 hours from where I live; it's more likely I could keep my full-time job

Thoughts?

The job is actually in my field and pays well, so if possible, I'd like to keep it. Work experience is pretty invaluable, and I'm pretty confident I could balance both if they were geographically close enough together. It would also afford a degree of financial freedom I wouldn't have otherwise.

Edited by EasterInTheBatcave

2 hours ago, EasterInTheBatcave said:

The job is actually in my field and pays well, so if possible, I'd like to keep it. Work experience is pretty invaluable, and I'm pretty confident I could balance both if they were geographically close enough together. It would also afford a degree of financial freedom I wouldn't have otherwise.

Whether or not you can do it and whether or not it's a good idea are not the same thing. What are you reasons for going into a PhD program? I think that for better or worse, success in academia tends to require an all-in mentality of sorts (such a mentality, of course, doesn't guarantee success and having alt-ac plans is always wise). I've seen people try to balance another job and a PhD program. While it can perhaps be done in some cases, I don't think it's ever a recipe for excelling in your program. 

Also, @Warelin is right that many programs stipulate that you are not allowed to have other employment beyond the program (you can maybe get away with occasional free lance work). So, don't just assume your DGS is going to be ok with this.

In my opinion prestige is more important than an extra $5,000/year. Also, you cannot keep your full time job so that should not be a factor in this decision. These departments are paying you for coursework and eventually teaching to be your full time job. That is the expectation. I feel like if you’re still trying to keep a full time job then you aren’t fully aware of the scale of responsibilities you are going to have as a PhD student? It’s extensive and beyond simply attending classes. 

Edited by trytostay