To MA or nah?

Fontanabush

So I already have 2 masters. One in Interreligious Engagement (Comparative Theology) and a Master of Theology that focused on philosophy- Kant, Foucault, Aquinas and Pragmatism.

I got rejected from 2 philosophy depts and 3 divinity schools. Would an MA be worth it? What schools have full funding? 

Solicited feedback on my apps, so will wait for that. Just looking at how to keep moving forward. 

Thanks

Edited by Fontanabush

27 minutes ago, bluwe said:

There's a list on this forum somewhere of all funded MA programs...its a few years old but I don't think much has changed.

There is, but the trouble with it is that, so far as I can tell, is that none of them are necessarily great for continental-ish philosophy of religion. My interests are somewhat in the same neighborhood as Fontanabrush and I haven't had much luck scouting out funded MA programs. 

Edited by antianticlimacus

For what it's worth, Gonzaga University has a terminal MA in Philosophy that is pretty good for continental philosophy. It's not fully funded, but it has many more opportunities for funding / assistantships / financial aid / etc. than most Philosophy MAs. 

https://www.gonzaga.edu/college-of-arts-sciences/departments/philosophy/graduate-program/ma-admissions

Edited by redsubywa

What's another MA, this time in philosophy of religion, going to do for you? What's it going to do for your CV? I suspect the answer is 'not much'. It's hard to make a case for needing to earn a third very similar degree.

If you really want a PhD in one of these subjects, then I think that your best bet is to apply again, and more broadly. 

2 hours ago, maxhgns said:

What's another MA, this time in philosophy of religion, going to do for you? What's it going to do for your CV? I suspect the answer is 'not much'. It's hard to make a case for needing to earn a third very similar degree.

If you really want a PhD in one of these subjects, then I think that your best bet is to apply again, and more broadly. 

This is like a cup of cold water to the face. Especially as I process the rejections and think what do I need to do more of. It is excellent advice. Thank you.

Edited by Fontanabush

On 2/25/2019 at 9:04 AM, Fontanabush said:

So I already have 2 masters. One in Interreligious Engagement (Comparative Theology) and a Master of Theology that focused on philosophy- Kant, Foucault, Aquinas and Pragmatism.

I got rejected from 2 philosophy depts and 3 divinity schools. Would an MA be worth it? What schools have full funding? 

Solicited feedback on my apps, so will wait for that. Just looking at how to keep moving forward. 

Thanks

Like others have said. Depends on your goal. If you’re trying to teach philosophy, then sure. But fair warning.. go to a school with a good PhD placement record. UW- Milwaukee is a good place. But it’s probably best to apply for PhD again but try to spruce up your application. retake GRE? A better sample paper, SOP.. 

Also, only a funded MA. It’s not worth paying money for an MA in philosophy. It doesn’t matter how much you love it. And pay very close attention to their placement record.