Any Portland State (PSU) applicants out there?

Last year PSU announced admission decisions in early March, so I’m getting anxious to hear! 

I’m an out of state applicant. I loved the city and their campus, but was most impressed by their emphasis on medical.

I’m curious to hear why others applied here. Also would love to know if anyone has heard anything from them yet.

Edited by Rezzy S.

I also applied. I talked to a professor there over video chat and she seemed like someone I'd really like to work with. I also enjoy Portland as a city and have had friends who went there for undergrad and loved how diverse PSU was. However, I've read on a few forums that the department is super disorganized and kind of a mess ☹️ This is all second-hand information, so who knows if it's true, but it's making me a bit hesitant about the program. Maybe someone here has more direct experience. 

28 minutes ago, charlottearoora said:

I also applied. I talked to a professor there over video chat and she seemed like someone I'd really like to work with. I also enjoy Portland as a city and have had friends who went there for undergrad and loved how diverse PSU was. However, I've read on a few forums that the department is super disorganized and kind of a mess ☹️ This is all second-hand information, so who knows if it's true, but it's making me a bit hesitant about the program. Maybe someone here has more direct experience. 

Yikes - I hadn’t heard that before. Would love to hear from someone in the program now about what it’s like.

Edited by Rezzy S.

2 hours ago, Rezzy S. said:

Yikes - I hadn’t heard that before. Would love to hear from someone in the program now about what it’s like.

I looked at the posts again and they're all from several (4-5) years ago, so hopefully things have changed!  It might have been a weird transition period or something.  That's what I hope.

1 hour ago, ArchieMJ said:

I applied as well! To the Applied Psychology Program. I haven't gotten anything back, even an interview invitation. I'm still very worried and I'm not even sure I'll get in. Fingers crossed and best wishes to everyone. 

Good luck to you! You may find more up to date info for your program in the psychology forum: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/8-psychology/. I imagine you'll hear back at a different time than speech-language pathology applicants. 

On 2/26/2019 at 4:03 PM, charlottearoora said:

What department? The graduate admissions as a whole, or a specific major? 

47 minutes ago, minniepoptarte said:

What department? The graduate admissions as a whole, or a specific major? 

Feel free to join the conversation here, but you may find more relevant information at the Social work forum here: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/65-social-work/.

This is the Speech-Language Pathology forum. 

On 3/2/2019 at 11:09 PM, Rezzy S. said:

Feel free to join the conversation here, but you may find more relevant information at the Social work forum here: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/65-social-work/.

This is the Speech-Language Pathology forum. 

Well that is embarrassing. Well I double-checked and when you search "Portland State MSW" it lists all MSW program discussions and this one is just randomly in the middle of them. Thanks! 

On 3/4/2019 at 4:32 PM, Emily T. said:

I haven't heard anything yet, but I have a feeling we'll hear by the end of the week! I'm super excited to find out. :)

I hope so! For the last couple years they've notified between 3/8 and 3/10 so I think you're right. :)

3 minutes ago, Emily T. said:

That was me! Haha. My friend from my program was also accepted today. 

Congratulations! :) I'm curious if all of the emails have gone out. ?

Just now, Rezzy S. said:

Congratulations! :) I'm curious if all of the emails have gone out. ?

Thank you! There was a delay between when my email went out and hers, so I don't think they're all out yet. Fingers crossed for you! ?

33 minutes ago, lilyslp said:

Just received my email with acceptance! Super excited. They said that members of faculty would be calling next week to answer any questions that we may have, which I thought was really nice! 

So happy for you! :) 

• 2 weeks later...