I don’t think I have a chance. Someone reassure me

So I currently have a cumulative gpa of a 3.038 and csd gpa of a 4.0. My math and science are sitting around a 3.0. I’m currently in my spring semester of sophomore year. If I did my math right I should finish with a 3.5ish if I get all As... do I have a chance? I have anxiety that it’s not worth it

You're only in your sophomore year, so you have time to improve your GPA. Plus, schools look at other things other than your scores such as leadership positions, research, and volunteering. You also have to take the GRE which is also an important factor in the whole process. So, I wouldn't be worried if I were you. 

Yes! Keep the CSD GPA up and get your overall up to a 3.5 like you mentioned. Shadow SLPs, get involved with NSSLHA and research, and get to know your professors so they can write you good letters. Study hard for your GRE as well and clear 150 for each quant and verbal and 4.0 for writing. When its finally time to apply, use the stats on ASHA Edfind to see where you have a good shot of getting in. You got this!

I totally agree with what Rezzy and Sarah said above! Although it's a given that applicants need GPAs on the higher side (usually above a 3.3), certainly not everyone's grades are the reason they caught the admission committee's eye. Plus, I've seen numerous people post on here in the past who got accepted with GPAs as low as 3.1. It's really about you as a whole. If I were you, I'd focus on killing the GRE and do something meaningful to boost your resume every semester and summer with something that is related to your career goals. For example, if you really want to do research during your career, I'd join a lab now and try to work your way up to lab manger and present at conferences etc. Make yourself standout in some way (or even better- multiple ways)! You'll be fine! 

I agree with what everyone else is saying. Make other parts of your application stand out and you will be fine. My cumulative GPA is under a 3.0 and I somehow got in!

You absolutely have a chance! It's going to be really important that you make sure you're well rounded, but if you can do that you will have no problem. My cumulative GPA was lower and I have been beside myself during this whole process and a complete mess thinking that I wouldn't get in anywhere. Because everyone seems to have 3.9s and 4.0s on here and it's terrifying. I applied to 10 schools out of fear and definitely didn't need to do so-- I think in my case it was because I worked so hard to make sure all other aspects of my application were strong (experience, GRE, letters of rec, stand-out personal statements). Start getting close with the professors in your department now and volunteer as much as you can! Try to get experience with populations you aren't familiar with, and maybe even dabble in research if you can. You got this though! Don't give up this early-- Truly, if you are passionate about the field others will be able to see that, including the admissions committees.

Best of luck to you!!

Numbers are important, but they are not everything! My GRE is a 149V, 145Q and 4AW. I took it four times. My overall GPA is a 3.5, but I was determined to be more than just a number!

My junior year I joined and became very active in NSSLHA, got involved with research, started working two relevant jobs, observed as much as I could (over 60 hours), completed over 400 volunteer hours, completed 50 clinical clock hours, and tried to do everything that I could to make connections with faculty and have a killer resume. 

Even with my average GRE and GPA numbers, my other numbers (clock hours, volunteer hours, and observation hours) helped me to stand out because I wrote about them in my personal statement. I have now been accepted to two great schools!

You have plenty of time to make those connections and beef up your resume, but those things are not going to do themselves. You will have to make all of it happen, but it will pay off! Do not wait for opportunities to come your way, CREATE them!

5 hours ago, sarah189 said:

You're only in your sophomore year, so you have time to improve your GPA. Plus, schools look at other things other than your scores such as leadership positions, research, and volunteering. You also have to take the GRE which is also an important factor in the whole process. So, I wouldn't be worried if I were you. 

Okay awesome thank you all for the amazing advice. I’m involved on campus currently. I’m a tour guide for my university and hold a leadership position through that. I’m in a sorority and I homd a leadership position through that. I tutor every Friday at an elementary school. And I have other forms of community service 

Experience is what counts! There are so many other ways you can show that you’re dedicated to the field besides your GPA and GRE. I have a lower GPA and pretty competitive GRE scores, but I feel like my full-time research experiences are what made it for my application (this is my first time applying). I graduated from college 2 years ago and will be planning to go to school for Fall 2019! You got this. :)

Edited by BioCook
Add

13 hours ago, madoc said:

You absolutely have a chance! It's going to be really important that you make sure you're well rounded, but if you can do that you will have no problem. My cumulative GPA was lower and I have been beside myself during this whole process and a complete mess thinking that I wouldn't get in anywhere. Because everyone seems to have 3.9s and 4.0s on here and it's terrifying. I applied to 10 schools out of fear and definitely didn't need to do so-- I think in my case it was because I worked so hard to make sure all other aspects of my application were strong (experience, GRE, letters of rec, stand-out personal statements). Start getting close with the professors in your department now and volunteer as much as you can! Try to get experience with populations you aren't familiar with, and maybe even dabble in research if you can. You got this though! Don't give up this early-- Truly, if you are passionate about the field others will be able to see that, including the admissions committees.

Best of luck to you!!

Hi! Would you mind sharing your stats? I know not everyone wants to, but I have a 3.4 GPA and like you, feel like mine is so low. It looks like you've gotten multiple acceptances and I'm just curious!

8 minutes ago, mckennahslp said:

Hi! Would you mind sharing your stats? I know not everyone wants to, but I have a 3.4 GPA and like you, feel like mine is so low. It looks like you've gotten multiple acceptances and I'm just curious!

I know you weren't asking me, but just FYI, I have a 3.2

19 minutes ago, BioCook said:

I know you weren't asking me, but just FYI, I have a 3.2

Thank you! You've been accepted to 3 places already? Congratulations! What do you feel like made you stand out? What an accomplishment!

20 minutes ago, mckennahslp said:

Sure! My GPA overall is a  3.62 with a 4.0 in my CSD prereqs, but CSDCAS actually calculated my GPA as a 3.64 (lol I'll take it). My GRE scores are 159V 157Q and 4.5AW-- I took it twice to boost my scores because I didn't study for it the first time and I got a pretty average score. I have a semester of research experience in a psychology lab, hundreds of hours of volunteer experience (a good chunk in a hospital setting in rehab therapies), and lots and lots of work experience as a tutor which I think helped too, although it isn't directly related to speech. I discovered SLP the summer after my junior year (so really late haha), and decided to take a gap year to strengthen my application. I used this time to gain experience working with populations I didn't already have much experience with, earned some money, volunteered some more, and finished up my observation hours. 

Hope this helps!

1 minute ago, mckennahslp said:

Thank you! You've been accepted to 3 places already? Congratulations! What do you feel like made you stand out? What an accomplishment!

I did some research assistant work for 2 years while I was an undergraduate and then got a full-time position with that lab after graduation! I'm in my second gap year now. I think that 4 years of research experience (and 2 papers) are what helped my application despite the bumpy transcript, etc. You can DM me with more specific questions if you're interested to talk more.