What do you guys think of a 4 semester SLP program? (First 3 semesters consists of clinicals and courses, 16 credits each) and your last semester is a clinical internship in which you are not taking classes. I have an undergrad degree in SLP and I am more than willing to put in all my time and energy into such a program but I’m not sure if such an accelerated program would prepare me to become a good SLP, you know? 

What do you think? Can such a program prepare you to become a good SLP? Btw, it is ASHA accredited

6 hours ago, PsyDGrad90 said:

I would suggest you post this in the SLP sub forum, as people in there will be more familiar with your field and be able to give you more appropriate advice. 

This is the SLP sub forum lol

I have been wondering about the timeline as well. I am one of those people that needs a little hand holding before I feel confident so getting in and out of grad school so quickly definitely scares me a bit. I did talk to some recent alum from the accelerated program that I applied to and they didn't seem to express any concern about not being prepared, so that makes me feel a little better going into it, but it probably varies by school.

7 hours ago, PsyDGrad90 said:

I would suggest you post this in the SLP sub forum, as people in there will be more familiar with your field and be able to give you more appropriate advice. 

You're in the right place @TeamNoSleep. Looks like there was just a little confusion.

50 minutes ago, SLP_2019 said:

This is the SLP sub forum lol

I have been wondering about the timeline as well. I am one of those people that needs a little hand holding before I feel confident so getting in and out of grad school so quickly definitely scares me a bit. I did talk to some recent alum from the accelerated program that I applied to and they didn't seem to express any concern about not being prepared, so that makes me feel a little better going into it, but it probably varies by school.

Okay so I got accepted into a grad program (the one I described above) and it’s at the school I am currently attending for undergrad. For so long I’ve been wanting to get a accepted into this program but now that I’m accepted I’m really nervous that it will be too difficult (than your typical SLP grad program) as well as not best prepare me to become a competent SLP.  Maybe I’m overthinking it?

35 minutes ago, Rezzy S. said:

You're in the right place @TeamNoSleep. Looks like there was just a little confusion.

It was originally in the "Comments, Questions, Etc" forum when I posted that comment. The admins must have moved it since then. 

20 hours ago, TeamNoSleep said:

What do you guys think of a 4 semester SLP program? (First 3 semesters consists of clinicals and courses, 16 credits each) and your last semester is a clinical internship in which you are not taking classes. I have an undergrad degree in SLP and I am more than willing to put in all my time and energy into such a program but I’m not sure if such an accelerated program would prepare me to become a good SLP, you know? 

What do you think? Can such a program prepare you to become a good SLP? Btw, it is ASHA accredited

I don't see how it would make you less prepared to be an SLP as long as you are getting all the necessary clinic hours in a variety of settings. How many external placements do you get? If there is only one I would be a bit wary since school clinics are not exactly the real world. My program has three externships, which I like because we all can do one medical, one school, and one of whatever else we want. But otherwise I don't think it would be terrible. Our summer semester is an externship and only one online course, so it's not like your courses would be too insane. I think if you're dedicated to putting all your time and energy into it you should be fine, but that being said, the more placements you have the better.

10 minutes ago, bibliophile222 said:

I don't see how it would make you less prepared to be an SLP as long as you are getting all the necessary clinic hours in a variety of settings. How many external placements do you get? If there is only one I would be a bit wary since school clinics are not exactly the real world. My program has three externships, which I like because we all can do one medical, one school, and one of whatever else we want. But otherwise I don't think it would be terrible. Our summer semester is an externship and only one online course, so it's not like your courses would be too insane. I think if you're dedicated to putting all your time and energy into it you should be fine, but that being said, the more placements you have the better.

Yeah! So we do clinical practicums throughout our first 3 semesters while taking courses! And the practicums are not on campus or anything like that. I think either the last two (meaning in semesters 2&3) are placements in the community or all 3 are placements in the community. But truthfully, I prefer the way you have your externships set up! I mean it’s okay I don’t do it exactly like that lol I just wanna make sure I’m gaining a lot from my experiences! I just hope the crazy amount of coursework as well as those 3 clinical placements don’t overwhelm me in a way that will inhibit my learning. 

Im not concerned about my last internship! Because I won’t be taking any courses or anything. I just wish I had 2 internships instead just so I have more exposure. 

Thank you for you comment and reassuring me lol 

12 hours ago, PsyDGrad90 said:

Lol it’s all good! Thank you for informing me! This is literally my second day on this site so idk how to use it very well. 

6 minutes ago, TeamNoSleep said:

Lol it’s all good! Thank you for informing me! This is literally my second day on this site so idk how to use it very well. 

No problem! I figured you were new and wanted to make sure you got feedback from people within your field. Few people answer posts in that original forum.