Moving with Books

LOiseauRouge

I have a lot of books and I am going to be moving across the country. I was wondering if anyone has advice/experience with moving affordably with a lot of books. I was considering media mail but I'm not sure if that will end up being too expensive with the amount of books I'd like to bring. I'd say I have 200 books I definitely would like to bring with me.

(Sorry if there have been previous threads about this, I tried to search and couldn't find anything)

I'm also thinking this one through. I can give up almost everything else, but I can't sacrifice the library.

How much mileage can you get out of checked bags on an airplane? Maybe even eating the overweight bags fee is more cost effective than shipping?

17 hours ago, LOiseauRouge said:

I have a lot of books and I am going to be moving across the country. I was wondering if anyone has advice/experience with moving affordably with a lot of books. I was considering media mail but I'm not sure if that will end up being too expensive with the amount of books I'd like to bring. I'd say I have 200 books I definitely would like to bring with me.

(Sorry if there have been previous threads about this, I tried to search and couldn't find anything)

Yep, Media Mail is the way to go! I'm in a similar position, and that's what I plan to use. Media Mail is cheaper the higher the weight. You can ship 70 pounds for $38!

Here's a link to the USPS page with rates:

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#_c059

• 2 weeks later...

So glad to see this thread! I have so many books and I’m not willing to part with...any of them. I was planning on renting a trailer and towing it but I’ll look into media mail- may save me some $$$ since without the books I probably wouldn’t even need a trailer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 4:10 PM, hector549 said:

Yep, Media Mail is the way to go! I'm in a similar position, and that's what I plan to use. Media Mail is cheaper the higher the weight. You can ship 70 pounds for $38!

Here's a link to the USPS page with rates:

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#_c059

this is great to know! thanks! i will probably be using this. was also stressing about having to sacrifice the library i've built up T___T 

On 3/12/2019 at 10:58 PM, LOiseauRouge said:

Shipping and packing materials of interest may be found here. https://www.uline.com/

FYI. The thread linked below includes additional links to threads dealing with moving.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2019 at 1:24 AM, LOiseauRouge said:

The last time I moved with a lot of books it was international and I sent all my books by boat because the air rates were through the roof.

Hey, I was wondering if you could tell me a little more about this? What company did you use and how long did it take? I'll also be moving to the US from faaaar away (South Africa) this fall and would really love to take a big chunk of my library with me. Do you think it'll be cheaper just to buy new copies of the books I really want when I'm in the US?

On 4/23/2019 at 7:57 AM, eddyrynes said:

Hey, I was wondering if you could tell me a little more about this? What company did you use and how long did it take? I'll also be moving to the US from faaaar away (South Africa) this fall and would really love to take a big chunk of my library with me. Do you think it'll be cheaper just to buy new copies of the books I really want when I'm in the US?

Unfortunately I only have experience with France. I went to the post office there and asked them about different ways to send books. They had amazing rates for shipping French books internationally via plane (part of a spreading French around the world thing), but English books were too expensive to send via airmail, so they suggested I send my English books by boat. I packed the books and brought them and they shipped them out. They arrived 4-8 weeks later on the East Coast of the US in pretty good shape.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

When I moved to a new place, it was a huge problem to decide how to move all my belongings, especially books. Cause I have lots of them, my library is our family's heirloom. More than 600 books. A post office wasn't the best decision. I was confused because of lack of time and I couldn't part my lovely books. A friend of mine advised me to call a moving company. It was a difficult decision (there are many articles about damages, prices etc. of such companies). But I had to pay for a moving service, and I was very nervous. It was https://californiamoversusa.com/moving-services/house-movers/, the staff helped me a lot - pack, wrap up, load, transport, deliver.  As far as I know, the company has lots of features, services and good professionals. As a result, my books are with me, everything is ok. That's why I advise you to ask this or any other moving company for help. You won't be nervous and get your books on time for a low price. 

Edited by jimbim