OGS - Any word?

euges116

Hi all,

Today I found my OGS status as Successful Applicant.

I would like to know how to transfer/receive this OGS from other Ontario university? I am a PhD student in a university first year, now moving to other university in Ontario and will start PhD from 1st year. I applied in OGS for 2nd year PhD student which I will be in 2010-11 if I stay in the same university, but moving to other university I will be 1st year PhD student.

Can anyone help or advice in this regard? I would highly appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

Congrats! When exactly did you find out? When you get your official paperwork , you'll need to fill out the Notice of Acceptance for the award. I think here you can inform them of the updated details for the award tenure.

I think so too. It also looks like the "social science" results haven't been released yet..

I'm also a social scientist who hasn't received my results yet.

They DID say that the results were being posted by panel, so it would make sense that most social scientists were judged together.

But seriously, this is getting ridiculous.

I'm also a social scientist who hasn't received my results yet.

They DID say that the results were being posted by panel, so it would make sense that most social scientists were judged together.

But seriously, this is getting ridiculous.

I know of someone in PhD Sociology who got their results on April 14th. There's an MA in Psychology posted as successful as well and criminology. They may have done some Social science panels so far, this is from the website:

Social Sciences Division

Disciplines

200Anthropology/Prehistoric Anthropology

201Applied Social Science – may include Aboriginal Studies, Child Development Studies, Child Studies, Consumer/Family Studies, Gerontology, Physical/Health Education, and Recreational/Leisure Studies

202Economics

203Education

204Geography – may include Geomatics

205Library and Information Science – may include Communication and Information Systems Science

206Management and Administrative Studies – may include Accounting, Business Administration, Health Administration, Industrial Relations, and Public Administration

207Planning and Development Studies – may include Agricultural Economics, Comparative Development, Environmental Studies, Rural Planning and Development, and Urban/Regional Planning

208Political Studies – may include International Studies, Political Economy, Political Science, and Social/Political Thought

209Psychology

210Social Work

211Sociology

212Law and Criminology

I'm not having trouble connecting - I'm just having difficulty resisting the urge to "refresh"...

As for theories re panels, 2 of 4 students in my cohort (PhD Education) heard right away on the 14th. The other two (myself included) have not yet heard. Not sure what to make of that; I'm hanging on to faint hope at this point.

I'm not having trouble connecting - I'm just having difficulty resisting the urge to "refresh"...

As for theories re panels, 2 of 4 students in my cohort (PhD Education) heard right away on the 14th. The other two (myself included) have not yet heard. Not sure what to make of that; I'm hanging on to faint hope at this point.

Were either of the 2 who heard on the 14th rejects?

I have no troubles connecting...just getting my result!!!!!!!

so, yes, at this point I guess the social science panel theory doesn't work much ... not sure what to think...I guess I ll keep refreshing

I am just wondering if they will update the status for unsuccessful applicants?

Did anyone know what happened to the unsuccessful OGS applicants in last year?

I always have a feeling that they update the status for successful applicants first.

Not sure about that part.

This is what I keep getting when I talk to the admin staff at my university. "There's a new person in charge of OGS now so it's taking longer. Not only that, but they posted some results to the website on the 14th but the full list wasn't decided on yet (or something like that) so the people who found out on the website -- the information may or may not be accurate"

I'm doing a PhD in Pure Math and I am still waiting for my status to change. Since this was such a big screw up on their (OGS) part, I wouldn't assume anything about the order in which they post results.

For those new to this game, your status line will eventually change from: "Application complete and entered into the competition" to one of the following:

I always have a feeling that they update the status for successful applicants first.

It is unfair to the unsuccessful applicants. EVERYONE has the right to know the information on time!!!

For those new to this game, your status line will eventually change from: "Application complete and entered into the competition" to one of the following:

What does that mean for the status - On reversion list?

Sorry - left out vital detail there. Both of my classmates who heard on the 14th were successful. Of the remaining two, one got it last year, and I was first on the reversion list.

How did you find out you were first on the reversion list and then did you get OGS after?

Re reversion list: you can call to find out your ranking by discipline. I was first on the Education list last year, but was not offered a scholarship in the end. Here's the thing: they "over award" OGS knowing that people who receive SSHRC, etc. will turn it down. So...just because someone in your class turns down OGS, it doesn't mean the guy who is first on the reversion list will move up. A critical mass of folks have to refuse OGS before they will go to the reversion list.

See below for a copy of the info I received last year. Please note that the woman listed at the bottom (Gerry Vibert) is no longer working for OGS, so don't call her :) Hope it helps!

Thank you for your application for an Ontario Graduate Scholarship in the 2009-2010 competition. Your name has been placed on a reversion list.

We regret that the Selection Board cannot recommend you for a scholarship in the first round of offers. However, a proportion of those who are successful in the first round will decline Ontario Graduate Scholarships for one reason or another. Scholarships made available by these cancellations will then be offered to applicants whose names are on the reversion lists. Separate reversion lists are maintained in rank order for each division of study.

Scholarships are offered up to and including December 4, 2009. Please note that this letter does not guarantee an offer of a scholarship.

Your file was assessed by a selection panel of three professors working independently. Panel members' ratings were reviewed by the panel chair, who reported the panel's recommendations to the Selection Board.

Appeals based on the grounds of an error in administrative procedures by the Selection Board may be considered, but only where clearly documented substantive grounds are presented. Such an appeal must be submitted to the Fellowships Section, Student Support Branch, Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities within thirty days of the date of the letter. If you have any questions concerning your placement on the reversion list, please contact Mrs. Gerry Vibert at (807) 343-7257.

We appreciate your interest in this competition, and wish you every success in your work.

Edited by scario_canada

Congrats! When exactly did you find out? When you get your official paperwork , you'll need to fill out the Notice of Acceptance for the award. I think here you can inform them of the updated details for the award tenure.

Hi,

I have been checking daily OGS site, and found it updated status yesterday.

Does anyone has any idea how to transfer OGS award to other university in Ontario?

For you social science folks, you aren't the only ones waiting. Im biochem and still have heard nothing.

This system sucks. Just say you are going to let everyone know May sometime and do it then. At least that way people can plan. I know some people have big decisions to make based on the outcome of this and I don't think it is fair to them t say they might find out early April, only to have to wait a month. It's not as big a deal for me as my funding is covered, but for others this can be a deal-breaker on grad school.