Cheap(er) vs. Expensive program

I'm torn between going to a really expensive private school or doing a cheaper program! I really love the expensive school it's beautiful and a great program but worried about being in debt for many years!! Anyone else feeling the same way//know how to decide? :

2 hours ago, slpisthedream said:

honestly I decided a cheaper state school, as long as it's ASHA accredited they're all the same in my eyes. I'm leaving grad school with less than $20,000 in debt for 5 semesters, feels like a win to me. 

Wow, that's amazing! Go you! <3

I am also having this problem between picking my dream school which is pretty expensive and a relatively reasonably priced school. Although I feel a bit different than other posters. I talked to a close friend SLP and she said that you should go where your heart wants to go. But you also have to factor in the opportunities that come along with each school. Personally, I think that the more expensive school in my case is the best choice. I say go what what you feel is the best for you!

1 minute ago, sb.slp said:

Personally, I think that the more expensive school in my case is the best choice. I say go what what you feel is the best for you!

While I agree with the "go to the cheaper school" option, I also think this is definitely something to consider too! You definitely want to make sure that the cheaper option will still give you the opportunities and placements that you're looking for. :)

I'm having the same struggle! I got into some of my dream programs but I want to travel and save for other things in life so it's really hard for me to choose these dream programs because of the debt. Graduating with only about $15k in debt from a state school is tempting compared to $90k+ in debt after interest. Unfortunately, that lack of debt would mean sacrificing clinical placements I want and a location that would make me happy so I'm really struggling.

20 hours ago, Jess3863 said:

Wow, that's amazing! Go you! ❤️

Thanks! i truly think state schools are great, mine has an on campus clinic and we get a variety of clients and we have great supervisors, 3 semesters of on campus clinic and one medical placement at great hospitals. There is such a need for SLPs that many places do not care what school you went to as long as you have those CCCs after your name and you paid your fees lol

4 minutes ago, slpisthedream said:

Thanks! i truly think state schools are great, mine has an on campus clinic and we get a variety of clients and we have great supervisors, 3 semesters of on campus clinic and one medical placement at great hospitals. There is such a need for SLPs that many places do not care what school you went to as long as you have those CCCs after your name and you paid your fees lol

Right! Now if we can just get more places to offer to pay for your schooling to get SLPs like how many hospitals/nursing homes do with nurses!

On 3/25/2019 at 11:42 PM, slpisthedream said:

honestly I decided a cheaper state school, as long as it's ASHA accredited they're all the same in my eyes. I'm leaving grad school with less than $20,000 in debt for 5 semesters, feels like a win to me. 

where do you attend?

I personally chose the cheaper program because one of my goals is to one day be debt free and I wanted to try and take out as few loans as possible. I've heard that it doesn't matter where you go to school as long as the program is ASHA certified and you get your license that is what matters. Make those connections during your clinicals and with your professors.  That's what matters! :) Ultimately it is up to you but my advice would to decide what your priorities are.