Central European University

Matt12345

Hello,

I was accepted to CEU's one-year MA program with full tuition remission, paid-for health insurance, accommodation for the first month, and a modest stipend (EUR240/month for Vienna and EUR160/month for the time in Budapest). The stipend isn't a ton, but I am still excited about the offer.

I am not concerned about the current controversy there (the EU is now supporting them, so that situation is becoming less intense). Does anyone here have any experiences there or know someone who attended?

Thanks.

27 minutes ago, Matt12345 said:

Hello,

I was accepted to CEU's one-year MA program with full tuition remission, paid-for health insurance, accommodation for the first month, and a modest stipend (EUR240/month for Vienna and EUR160/month for the time in Budapest). The stipend isn't a ton, but I am still excited about the offer.

I am not concerned about the current controversy there (the EU is now supporting them, so that situation is becoming less intense). Does anyone here have any experiences there or know someone who attended?

Thanks.

What’s you AOI? 

And one of the professors at my last program went there. I’m gonna be honest he was definitely one of the dumber professors there. I TA’d for him and he didn’t know basic logic. Like what makes an argument valid. He told one of the guys that they never had to study logic at CEU and it showed. I think he knew one thing some obscure topic in continental philosophy (focoult and symbiosis, what ever that is). He was so bad that the department took away his logic courses. And in my own conversation he seemed ill prepared to teach most philosophy other than that niche he knew. 

Now he could be an oddity and just a bad student but it doesn’t look to good for CEU. 

Hmm, that does not sound good. I hope he is not representative of the CEU study body. That professor sounds like a real dud. This is a surprise, because I have heard from European academics (at a conference) that the program has a good reputation and that I would get a good education there. One of my letter writers (also a European) said positive things about it too.

I am fairly divided in my interests and swing both ways: phenomenology/existentialsm on the continental side, and logic, philosophy of language, cognitive science, and philosophy of mind on the analytic side of things.

5 hours ago, Matt12345 said:

Hello,

Thanks.

CEU is fine. If it's your only option and the money situation is good for you, go.

5 hours ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

What’s you AOI? 

And one of the professors at my last program went there. I’m gonna be honest he was definitely one of the dumber professors there. I TA’d for him and he didn’t know basic logic. Like what makes an argument valid. He told one of the guys that they never had to study logic at CEU and it showed. I think he knew one thing some obscure topic in continental philosophy (focoult and symbiosis, what ever that is). He was so bad that the department took away his logic courses. And in my own conversation he seemed ill prepared to teach most philosophy other than that niche he knew. 

Now he could be an oddity and just a bad student but it doesn’t look to good for CEU. 

Well, I mean... that is totally anecdotal. And it's not like that's the only strength of the department -- they only have a couple people working on Continental stuff, iirc.

9 hours ago, Matt12345 said:

Hmm, that does not sound good. I hope he is not representative of the CEU study body. That professor sounds like a real dud. This is a surprise, because I have heard from European academics (at a conference) that the program has a good reputation and that I would get a good education there. One of my letter writers (also a European) said positive things about it too.

I am fairly divided in my interests and swing both ways: phenomenology/existentialsm on the continental side, and logic, philosophy of language, cognitive science, and philosophy of mind on the analytic side of things.

Yea, I agree.. I think he was just a bad professor and student. I really hope he's not a representative of the CEU body. If there is a professor CEU that you think is good in your AOI, you should go. And I agree with @philosophypuppy that my example is anecdotal but I thought I should mention it since it directly related to you question.