Backing-Out After Accepting???

yarros123

So, I have an offer at School A and waitlisted at School B. If I don't get an offer from School B, School A is my top choice -- no question. However, if I do get an offer from School B, I prefer School B -- no question. The problem is that School A is saying that they might require me to accept or reject their offer by a certain time on April 15th. Suppose that I don't get anything from School B by that time, so I accept, but then School B sends me an offer later in the day. 

Am I able to rescind my acceptance of to School A? What consequences would there be to backing out to go to School B?

This is your future. If you truly envision yourself being happier, more productive, better situated at the school you are wait listed at and may receive an offer from I would not hesitate to accept simply because I might ruffle a feather or two. 

You will have to ask the school you accepted at to release you from the offer and present you with a letter of release. You will then have to submit that letter with your own acceptance to school B. Be gracious in your request to be released from your initial acceptance. They won’t/cannot say ‘no’. These offers are not writs of mandated servitude. They are contracts in which each side has a service to give. You offer your instruction/grading services and they offer you funding. The worst that will happen is that some uptight professor might not have you in their graces, but I suspect most would be very understanding. They likely see this more often than we think, and do not view this with such terror as we do given their experience.

For what it is worth I actually had a DGS tell me they hoped it was not too late for me to reconsider after I informed them I had accepted elsewhere, so this, at least occasionally, happens on the other side. Though to be fair you are at liberty to change you decision at any time prior to the 15th without asking for a release.

Good luck.

Accept A if B doesn't reply in time, and don't even feel bad about it.

If B reaches out to you, you should be given time to make a decision (since this is not an initial acceptance) and tell them that you want to accept but that you need to request School A to release you from your obligation. Admissions committees have heard of this situation before. They won't be shocked.

Edited by Duns Eith

I’m in the same boat. Thanks for posting this. School A is my top choice and I’ve been accepted but they have yet to divvy out TA positions. School B is my second choice and they’ve already offered me a TA position but need me to decide by the 15th. 

From what people have said here I will accept B if I hear nothing from A and then consider getting them to release my acceptance at B if A comes through after the 15th. I’ve heard it’s really rude to do so, but I’m also sure there are people waiting for my spot. 

Because this wasn’t stressful enough, everything has to come down to the last minute too!!!

2 hours ago, MinDZ said:

I’m in the same boat. Thanks for posting this. School A is my top choice and I’ve been accepted but they have yet to divvy out TA positions. School B is my second choice and they’ve already offered me a TA position but need me to decide by the 15th. 

From what people have said here I will accept B if I hear nothing from A and then consider getting them to release my acceptance at B if A comes through after the 15th. I’ve heard it’s really rude to do so, but I’m also sure there are people waiting for my spot. 

Because this wasn’t stressful enough, everything has to come down to the last minute too!!!

Damn I just got news I’m on a waitlist for funding at A. This thread is even more relevant now. 

3 hours ago, MinDZ said:

Damn I just got news I’m on a waitlist for funding at A. This thread is even more relevant now. 

Good luck! If you haven't already, it may be worth telling School A that you're considering accepting another offer, but also that you'd likely accept their offer if given the relevant funding; this might help spur them to make an earlier decision.

19 hours ago, Kantattheairport said:

Good luck! If you haven't already, it may be worth telling School A that you're considering accepting another offer, but also that you'd likely accept their offer if given the relevant funding; this might help spur them to make an earlier decision.

Thanks! I have already told A the whole story. It’s just up to students declining their offers at this point. I got an extension to decide so if they decline on the 15th I’ll still be able to accept the next day. 

I'm going to school P unless i get more money from school Q, and I'm currently first on a waitlist for the desired money at Q. If Q comes through I'm going there. In the meantime, should I accept P now or wait until the 15th?

53 minutes ago, philosopuppy said:

I'm going to school P unless i get more money from school Q, and I'm currently first on a waitlist for the desired money at Q. If Q comes through I'm going there. In the meantime, should I accept P now or wait until the 15th?

You should almost certainly wait until the 15th.