Fall 2020 Industrial Organizational Psychology PhD

16 minutes ago, psycholokri said:

Well the first email it mentioned they had sent the invites and asked me if I wanted to be on the waitlist. I said yes, and then asked what I could improve on for my application, and that's when they mentioned that "both applicants we flew out" hinting at two people.

Interesting, I'm never sure how much information they will reveal. Perhaps I should start asking more questions.

4 hours ago, HopelesslyDevoted said:

Anyone have info on Portland State or Old Dominion?

According to the results page Old Dominion just had their visit this past weekend. And I think interview offers have been sent from Portland. It looks like Portland State didn't have a lot of faculty that were taking students anyway

20 hours ago, I/OWA said:

Has anyone heard from Clemson, I know they said 4-6 weeks and I think this is now the 6 week mark??

Well someone posted on the results page that they were waitlisted on Friday. I'd assume that means they've notified accepted/interviewing candidates, but maybe not. 

5 hours ago, IOapp2020 said:

Well someone posted on the results page that they were waitlisted on Friday. I'd assume that means they've notified accepted/interviewing candidates, but maybe not. 

Can you send a link to the results page? I haven't seen it before 

Hey Y'all

So I've now gotten accepted into 2 programs, have an interview for another and am waiting to hear from the last. 

Accepted: IUPUI M.S. in I/O psychology and University of Minnesota Duluth MA in I/O

Interview: MSU Mankato 

Waiting: George Mason (one of my tops)

So, my question is - do any of you have any opinions on the quality/ranking of IUPUI or either of the Minnesota schools. There is really just that one student perceptions ranking study out there and I was hoping to get insights from others who have been looking at different programs. 

Currently I'm really drawn to IUPUI. I think the faculty seems great and they are offering me a hefty financial package but I don't want to choose ONLY on money. I haven't seen many other master students on here saying they are applying to IUPUI and I wondered if it was unpopular in the field. 

Decisions are tough!

On 2/25/2020 at 1:27 PM, arispawgld said:

Hey Y'all

So I've now gotten accepted into 2 programs, have an interview for another and am waiting to hear from the last. 

Accepted: IUPUI M.S. in I/O psychology and University of Minnesota Duluth MA in I/O

Interview: MSU Mankato 

Waiting: George Mason (one of my tops)

So, my question is - do any of you have any opinions on the quality/ranking of IUPUI or either of the Minnesota schools. There is really just that one student perceptions ranking study out there and I was hoping to get insights from others who have been looking at different programs. 

Currently I'm really drawn to IUPUI. I think the faculty seems great and they are offering me a hefty financial package but I don't want to choose ONLY on money. I haven't seen many other master students on here saying they are applying to IUPUI and I wondered if it was unpopular in the field. 

Decisions are tough!

I've never heard anything about UMN-Duluth even having a program to be honest. However, I've heard pretty good things about MSU Mankato's program - I almost applied there myself.

On 2/24/2020 at 12:12 PM, I/OWA said:

Has anyone heard from Clemson, I know they said 4-6 weeks and I think this is now the 6 week mark??

Waitlisted person here...When I reached out to Clemson they said they have already sent out the initial invites. I would recommend reached out if you haven't heard back yet. 

2 hours ago, IOapp2020 said:

Anyone have any leads on Houston? I know they said it's up to the department and could take a few weeks, but that doesn't help my anxiety!

I was told by a prof ~a week ago that hopefully we'd hear back within a week, so I'm guessing they sent their recommendations last week and are just waiting for the graduate school to figure out the funding and approve it. So it should be soon

1 hour ago, arewedoneyet said:

I was told by a prof ~a week ago that hopefully we'd hear back within a week, so I'm guessing they sent their recommendations last week and are just waiting for the graduate school to figure out the funding and approve it. So it should be soon

Do you mind PMing me the initials of your PI for UH?

Has anyone ever had a situation where they had an initial phone interview and then were invited to an open house before receiving an offer from the university? I’m wondering whether I should treat this open house as a second interview?

3 hours ago, Io1 said:

Has anyone ever had a situation where they had an initial phone interview and then were invited to an open house before receiving an offer from the university? I’m wondering whether I should treat this open house as a second interview?

Yes, I literally just did that. I treated the visit like an interview in the sense that I needed to give a good impression and show interest in the program. However, I also was not asked specific questions nor was the visit treated like a selection tool so it wasn't the same as if I was formally interviewed while I was there.

1 hour ago, I/Orlando said:

Yes, I literally just did that. I treated the visit like an interview in the sense that I needed to give a good impression and show interest in the program. However, I also was not asked specific questions nor was the visit treated like a selection tool so it wasn't the same as if I was formally interviewed while I was there.

Oh okay, thanks! Would you say the applicants dressed business-casual (e.g., blazers, dress pants) or a bit less formal?

35 minutes ago, Io1 said:

Oh okay, thanks! Would you say the applicants dressed business-casual (e.g., blazers, dress pants) or a bit less formal?

In this case I would say business casual was the norm, as someone from Florida it was what I considered cold so some wore blazers or nice looking sweaters or jackets too.

On 2/25/2020 at 10:50 AM, emsoap said:

I was waitlisted the other day for Rice (MH are POI initials) -- if anyone has an offer and is planning on rejecting, please let me know, Rice is my top choice.

I plan on accepting my offer from Rice with MH. Just waiting to hear back from one program that I’m unlikely to get into. 

On 2/25/2020 at 12:50 PM, emsoap said:

I was waitlisted the other day for Rice (MH are POI initials) -- if anyone has an offer and is planning on rejecting, please let me know, Rice is my top choice.

I'm also on the waitlist for Rice but MB are my POI's initials. I'm next to get an offer so if you have the offer and don't plan on accepting, please let me know.