NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

Also interestingly, a previous poster reached out to the NDSEG and they said the following:

"The validation process is complete, and all validated applications have been forwarded to the panel. You won't see any additional status updates beyond 'Submitted' on the application until the selection is made in April 2020, at which time all applicants will receive a notification of their selection status." Hmm, I wonder if we're just reading too deeply into the dates?

Edited by Physicsisphysics

1 hour ago, Physicsisphysics said:

Also interestingly, a previous poster reached out to the NDSEG and they said the following:

"The validation process is complete, and all validated applications have been forwarded to the panel. You won't see any additional status updates beyond 'Submitted' on the application until the selection is made in April 2020, at which time all applicants will receive a notification of their selection status." Hmm, I wonder if we're just reading too deeply into the dates?

I think people are hypothesising that there is an internal system where they track who has received the reward and who will not get it. Like a Boolean value or something. And if this Boolean value changes, then that date changes.

17 minutes ago, /pol/ said:

I think people are hypothesising that there is an internal system where they track who has received the reward and who will not get it. Like a Boolean value or something. And if this Boolean value changes, then that date changes.

Ah OK, makes sense. I don't think that's the case --- I emailed one of the administrators in early March and he said that in March, apps go to the DoD selection panel, which finishes evaluating the applications in April, so the actual decisions aren't made until then (aka early April). Since we're in such limbo, I emailed the administrator to see when exactly we should hear back.

1 hour ago, Physicsisphysics said:

Ah OK, makes sense. I don't think that's the case --- I emailed one of the administrators in early March and he said that in March, apps go to the DoD selection panel, which finishes evaluating the applications in April, so the actual decisions aren't made until then (aka early April). Since we're in such limbo, I emailed the administrator to see when exactly we should hear back.

This is interesting. Two years ago, they mentioned whether applicants were moving on to subject matter experts or not. Maybe a date in early March means they've moved on the application to subject matter experts?

31 minutes ago, Physicsisphysics said:

Two years ago was a different contractor, so I wouldn't put too much stock into what they did, I think Sysplus is pretty organized relative to the others that ran it in previous years

That's a good point. I guess you're right. Fantasizing about different dates isn't going to make the result come out sooner.

10 hours ago, /pol/ said:

An alternative hypothesis would be that there is a Boolean value initially set to 1, meaning the applicant is "in the running," and it changes to 0 whenever the applicant is eliminated.

But I agree that trying to interpret the dates is not very productive, however tempting it is to grasp at the little information we have.

17 hours ago, SFS said:

Curious to see if anyone else sees this too, application updated last 2/28/20. Could mean nothing at all but dang, its hard to wait.

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 6.23.09 PM.png

I saw an update as well on 2/19/2020.

It's a shame they aren't more transparent with this process. It's very stressful just waiting.

From my understanding, they do three rounds of review. The first is that they look at GPA and GRE/MCAT scores, then cut out some. Out of those, they then look at the proposal/essay, then cut out some. And finally, they forward to DoD who make the final selection. My understanding is that they don't necessarily take the highest GPAs, but rather pair the GPA with the student's ability.

Pairing this with the "last updated" date, I doubt I made it far.

Edited by /pol/

53 minutes ago, Physicsisphysics said:

NDSEG got back to me and said they expect results to be out no later than April 15th, but they don't have anything more concrete than that.

Thanks for this. Did they say anything about the "last application update" ? I guess not if they don't have anything more concrete.

42 minutes ago, BCHGang said:

Thanks for this. Did they say anything about the "last application update" ? I guess not if they don't have anything more concrete.

Ah shucks, I unfortunately did not ask --- I should have!

Edit: Called back and asked about it, but I left a voicemail so hopefully I can update yall soon

Edited by Physicsisphysics