NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

For those of you who have their last update in February, did you all get that second email post submission? And for those of you who have their last update the day of submission, did you get two emails post submission?

I hope that makes sense haha. I'm curious if the half of applicants that were sent two emails have more recent updates.

Okay here's what I have so far for the 2020 updates: (Apologies for any misspelled usernames)

SFS: Physics, 02/28

Scavanaugh: Civil & Environmental Eng., 2/28 (ARO)

StPolarBear: 02/19

Redox9797: ChemE, 01/27

Curie 2020: MatSci 02/28/20

Thel: Cog., Neural, Behavioral, 02/28

SomethingSimple: Bio Sciences, 02/28 (ARO)

Momo1111: 02/26 (ARO)

3st3rb: Electrical Eng, 02/28 (ARO)

For Dec updates:

Surface4: Geosciences 12/6

PhysicsIsPhysics: Physics, 12/24 (AFRL)

ScienceGeek: Comp. Sci., 12/6, (ARO)

BCHgang: MechE, 12/24 (ARO)

UrMum: Comp. Sci., 12/23 (AFRL)

CellBioGal: 12/20 (ARO)

Cri3Times: Physics, 12/20 (AFRL)

clb21565: Life & Bio Sciences, 12/6

Edited by 3st3rb
was missing one pt.

2 hours ago, ScienceGeek said:

For those of you who have their last update in February, did you all get that second email post submission? And for those of you who have their last update the day of submission, did you get two emails post submission?

I hope that makes sense haha. I'm curious if the half of applicants that were sent two emails have more recent updates.

The last email I received was 12/15 confirming my application had been validated.

3 hours ago, ScienceGeek said:

I got the following:

-submission conf. email on the 6th

-Email on the 11th telling me I had an error on my app and to go fix it 

-submission conf. email again on the 11th after I fixed the error

-Validation email on the 15th

1 hour ago, Physicsisphysics said:

Interesting the Air Force updates are all in December. Man, I'm not excited for the wait...I hope these results come out this week and not April 15th

Same. I applied to NSF and didn't get it, though I did get Honorable mention. If I hear back bad news from NDSEG I'm gonna have to go fill out an application to TA this upcoming fall, so it'd be nice to know now. 

Erm so I found a ppt while searching for something on a different fellowship and in it are two slides from the lady that is the DoD program manager for this fellowship and they have selection criteria (loosely) and a proposed timeline though unsure how this holds up given everything going on in the world rn. 

slides 30-37 for those interested

http://www.oasdre-hbcumiworkshop.com/2019_presentations/07-Wisecarver_Robinson_HBCU_Workshop_with_AFOSR_overview.pdf

1 hour ago, 3st3rb said:

Erm so I found a ppt while searching for something on a different fellowship and in it are two slides from the lady that is the DoD program manager for this fellowship and they have selection criteria (loosely) and a proposed timeline though unsure how this holds up given everything going on in the world rn. 

slides 30-37 for those interested

http://www.oasdre-hbcumiworkshop.com/2019_presentations/07-Wisecarver_Robinson_HBCU_Workshop_with_AFOSR_overview.pdf

I don't think I got it. The last updated date is 12/24 for me, which squarely lies in the preliminary review panel.  No updates beyond that. RIP.

On 3/30/2020 at 4:18 PM, Physicsisphysics said:

Also they called back and said not to worry about the date and that 'everybody' is still in the running. I'll trust them on this.

To play Devil's advocate, they could have said this in an attempt to calm everyone down and make people less anxious.

i honestly don't think the date means anything --- when I called they said that date was something from Sysplus' end and not the DOD. Also considering that the acceptance rate is like 5%, look at the percentage of January/February dates vs December. Yeah sure, GradCafe is self-selecting, so the proportion of winners to not-winners is higher than 5%, but the split between Jan/Feb and Dec is roughly 50/50. So it might just mean nothing.

What's interesting is the Powerpoint though --- it says decisions are announced on March 20th? Really weird, since we're past that and we haven't heard anything.

Edited by Physicsisphysics

So if you look at last years thread, some agencies emailed their selection before Sysplus sent anything. I emailed Sysplus about this, and it looks like this year, all agencies will inform sysplus first, then sysplus will then email everyone at one time. Maybe that is the reason for going past the 20 March date. 

Out of curiosity for those of you who applied to NSF and got honorable mention, was your research proposal very similar to what you submitted to NDSEG? Or was your NSF proposal less military oriented? 

I am on an Army funded project and I was in the Army so both were very similar. 

27 minutes ago, mleo said:

So if you look at last years thread, some agencies emailed their selection before Sysplus sent anything. I emailed Sysplus about this, and it looks like this year, all agencies will inform sysplus first, then sysplus will then email everyone at one time. Maybe that is the reason for going past the 20 March date. 

Out of curiosity for those of you who applied to NSF and got honorable mention, was your research proposal very similar to what you submitted to NDSEG? Or was your NSF proposal less military oriented? 

I am on an Army funded project and I was in the Army so both were very similar. 

Mine were both pretty similar. The big difference I think was that for NSF I focused more on the benefit my work could provide to autonomous consumer applications and for NDSEG it was more focused on how my work was critical for mission assurance in contested environments.