NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

No need to add to the list of update dates; that looks like it's been beat to death and we should hear soon anyhow.  A word of wisdom for those of us who may get this, though:  Systems Plus is a HUGE pain to work with.  They also run a short summer fellowship for AFOSR (https://afsffp.sysplus.com/) that I worked on.  In the process, they managed to:

- Lose all of my submitted files (report, summary, patent disclosure, etc.) because they were doing server maintenance (or something like that) the week they were due to send their files on to the DoD so I had to resubmit everything

- Send my tax forms to the wrong address

- Take two months of badgering to get them to send them to me properly after that

It was an adventure.  If you have any problems, expect them to take many many emails and phone calls to address.

Just now, OhTheStress said:

No need to add to the list of update dates; that looks like it's been beat to death and we should hear soon anyhow.  A word of wisdom for those of us who may get this, though:  Systems Plus is a HUGE pain to work with.  They also run a short summer fellowship for AFOSR (https://afsffp.sysplus.com/) that I worked on.  In the process, they managed to:

- Lose all of my submitted files (report, summary, patent disclosure, etc.) because they were doing server maintenance (or something like that) the week they were due to send their files on to the DoD so I had to resubmit everything

- Send my tax forms to the wrong address

- Take two months of badgering to get them to send them to me properly after that

It was an adventure.  If you have any problems, expect them to take many many emails and phone calls to address.

I heard very similar things about the previous contractor (know someone who's tuition almost didn't get paid because they delayed so long), sounds like all of these contractors are not the greatest.

Just now, justanothergradstudent said:

S/he at the very least survived one round of cuts.

Right.. but their application has been updated now twice in April alone. I highly doubt there has been a round of cuts between Friday and today.

I can't envision a scenario which makes sense for the timings given the variety of oddities. Maybe we'll figure something out at the end which can help next year, though.

Created an account just to respond to this thread, as I too am awaiting NDSEG results...

I think people are fishing in the dark for nothing with the 'last update' date. I just logged into mine, and didn't actually observe the date because I honestly didn't know where to look. I then went to Applicant > Application and actually clicked on my application. When I go look at my 'last update' date, it says 4/6/2020. Now, this could just be a coincidence (recall I didn't see the date before I clicked on the application), or more likely - the 'last update' date updates when you go and look at your application. For reference, my discipline is Mechanical Engineering and my proposal was through the ONR.

In reality - the SysPlus rep said the date means nothing, which I'm inclined to believe. For someone who has a date that isn't today, can you test my theory? Actually go into your application and then back out and see if the date changes?

Either way, good luck to everyone!

4 minutes ago, robertac93 said:

In reality - the SysPlus rep said the date means nothing, which I'm inclined to believe. For someone who has a date that isn't today, can you test my theory? Actually go into your application and then back out and see if the date changes?

The SysPlus rep probably said that in an attempt to make sure that people don't freak out. No, the date doesn't change.

Edited by BCHGang

It is not when you last log in. Believe me, I check this thing daily to see if the stupid last updated thing changed.

To add to the statistics, mine also says 4/6 now (previous updates of 2/28 and 4/3). Physics ARO

Note that for those who haven't seen an update, it may just be taking longer because I didn't see the update to 4/6 until a minute ago.

4 minutes ago, robertac93 said:

Created an account just to respond to this thread, as I too am awaiting NDSEG results...

I think people are fishing in the dark for nothing with the 'last update' date. I just logged into mine, and didn't actually observe the date because I honestly didn't know where to look. I then went to Applicant > Application and actually clicked on my application. When I go look at my 'last update' date, it says 4/6/2020. Now, this could just be a coincidence (recall I didn't see the date before I clicked on the application), or more likely - the 'last update' date updates when you go and look at your application. For reference, my discipline is Mechanical Engineering and my proposal was through the ONR.

Either way, good luck to everyone!

totally agree that the dates could be arbitrary. 

But, I had logged into last week and checked and it stayed 2/28 for a few days.

Also, interesting that others are observing the same pattern of 2/28, 4/3, 4/6.

But I do agree that likely the 4/3 --> 4/6 update didn't mean much advancement wise but again all speculation

Just now, OhTheStress said:

The fact that the 4/6 update seems to be happening individually, at different times, implies that they're individually changing something for each of us, rather than some batch update.  Make of that what you will.

Literally this. Whoever got multiple updates won the awards. You can conclusively say that. All the dates line up with that schedule.

I can't just wrap my head around the fact that I got knocked out of the first round alone. I really worked my butt off on that application. ? 

Hello all. A fellow (previous) observer here. Thanks for all the eagerness to communicate over the past weeks, as it sure has helped ease my internal stress. I agree that the last updated date is not reflective of the last time you checked the application, as I have seen my date remain in the bowels of December for months. I would guess the 4/3 update identified finalists, and the 4/6 update promoted finalists to awardees or alternates (or something along those lines). Or maybe, it means nothing, but I anticipate that all December updates and those without April updates are out of the game. 

Through all of this, I am too struggling with understanding exactly what may have been missing in my application beyond just numbers. Therefore, would anyone in Biosciences who has an update in February, etc. be willing to share the general overview of their topic (to the degree you feel comfortable)? I understand if this is an inappropriate request, but I am really trying to understand what types of proposals are considered valid and fundable in the NDSEG and DOD's eyes, especially considering no feedback is typically given with this fellowship (this is my 2nd try now). Looking forward to hearing about the results, but I think we have more or less solved the general puzzle.