NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

I have a friend who had ~10 publications as an undergrad, but all but 2 of them were with one of his parents (a scientist in the same field) as a coauthor. He still won a prestigious grad fellowship.

Just now, surface4 said:

I have a friend who had ~10 publications as an undergrad, but all but 2 of them were with one of his parents (a scientist in the same field) as a coauthor. He still won a prestigious grad fellowship.

dang, what an opportunity.

irks me a little though... i guess im just jelly. 

6 minutes ago, throwaway_2020 said:

Aerospace Engineer, UG: 3.98 double major, Grad: 4.00, 3 publications, applied for an AFRL BAA. Won NSTGRO. Last update 12/18

Congrats on the NASA fellowship! Was that something that your PI set up with you and a NASA mentor? I'm planning on applying to it in the future and I was wondering if I should reach out to NASA scientists in my field to be a mentor and set up a proposal.  

Just now, Momo1111 said:

Congrats on the NASA fellowship! Was that something that your PI set up with you and a NASA mentor? I'm planning on applying to it in the future and I was wondering if I should reach out to NASA scientists in my field to be a mentor and set up a proposal.  

Thanks! The NSTGRO (NSTRF) does not involve a NASA mentor (or a letter of rec from someone at NASA). The application process is similar to most other fellowships. They changed it this year to require the university to submit your proposal if you were already in grad school, which made things a little more difficult, but that just requires some more communication with your PI. 

The OSE NASA fellowship does require a letter from a NASA employee, but that one usually doesn't start applications until January.

1 hour ago, throwaway_2020 said:

Aerospace Engineer, UG: 3.98 double major, Grad: 4.00, 3 publications, applied for an AFRL BAA. Won NSTGRO. Last update 12/18

Nice, congrats! Similar situation here; Mech. Engineer, UG: 3.12, Grad: 4.00, 4 publications, 1 patent, applied for AFRL BAA and just received the NSTGRO today. Last update for NDSEG, 12/26. Best thing we can do, try not to read too much into these dates!