NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

3 minutes ago, GIIC said:

I’m pretty sure we are the latest fellowship year in history lol. Last year was early April?...year before like March. Awful times.

Pray its not like 2011 or 2018.. I looked at the previous years recently in my anxiety.. FWIW I called sys-plus and the project manager said he was highly confident it would be this Friday, but at the latest before the 15th.

Year Date Released  
2019 29-Mar  Friday
2018 13-Apr  Friday
2017 11-Apr  Tuesday
2016 1-Apr  Friday
2015 1-Apr  Wednesday
2014 10-Apr  Thursday
2013 3-Apr  Wednesday
2012 13-Apr  Friday
2011 16-Apr  Satruday
2010 12-Apr  Monday
Edited by cri3times

3 minutes ago, cri3times said:

Pray its not like 2011 or 2018.. I looked at the previous years recently in my anxiety.. FWIW I called sys-plus and the project manager said he was highly confident it would be this Friday, but at the latest before the 15th.

Alright then, I will try to just breath until Friday. Thanks for reaching out! And if it isn't Friday, well RIP the sanity of this forum, including myself. 

Just now, whyndsegwhy said:

Alright then, I will try to just breath until Friday. Thanks for reaching out! And if it isn't Friday, well RIP the sanity of this forum, including myself. 

If that's the case, then I'm outta here

6 minutes ago, cri3times said:

Year Date Released  
2019 29-Mar  Friday
2018 13-Apr  Friday
2017 11-Apr  Tuesday
2016 1-Apr  Friday
2015 1-Apr  Wednesday
2014 10-Apr  Thursday
2013 3-Apr  Wednesday
2012 13-Apr  Friday
2011 16-Apr  Satruday
2010 12-Apr  Monday

did she say by friday or on friday? lol I suppose I have no choice either way..

4 minutes ago, fishandfreckles said:

did she say by friday or on friday? lol I suppose I have no choice either way..

He made it sound like on Friday. But he also said it could be earlier. Could be later. He said it depends on when they're notified or something. Given the previous post which said that all of the decisions were already made (which makes sense), it doesn't make sense to me why they don't know the exact date.

Btw, he mentioned that they have received several hundred calls over the past few days. I mentioned the application dates, but he didn't give me any info (also remember @Physicsisphysicsasked before and they said they were meaningless). 

6 minutes ago, cri3times said:

He made it sound like on Friday. But he also said it could be earlier. Could be later. He said it depends on when they're notified or something. Given the previous post which said that all of the decisions were already made (which makes sense), it doesn't make sense to me why they don't know the exact date.

Btw, he mentioned that they have received several hundred calls over the past few days. I mentioned the application dates, but he didn't give me any info (also remember @Physicsisphysicsasked before and they said they were meaningless). 

wow they aren't very helpful lol. appreciate you asking though!

1 hour ago, cri3times said:

Doesn't this reinforce the claim that the woman said it just to make people feel better?

I just want to point out that most people on this thread (except me) claim themselves to be strong applicants who would be "disappointed if they didn't make it past initial screening." If we all think of ourselves to be so competitive, perhaps we are not as competitive as we think.

Inside Disney's rush to deliver Baby Yoda toys - BBC News

3 minutes ago, zamboni_driver said:

I just want to point out that most people on this thread (except me) claim themselves to be strong applicants who would be "disappointed if they didn't make it past initial screening." If we all think of ourselves to be so competitive, perhaps we are not as competitive as we think.

Inside Disney's rush to deliver Baby Yoda toys - BBC News

Sure. I get this. But there was a guy who had *20 publications*. And there were people with near perfect gpas and GRE scores. If the first  round is a result of looking at primarily GRE and GPA, and those kinds of candidates didn't make it past the first round, then WHO did??

3 minutes ago, BCHGang said:

Sure. I get this. But there was a guy who had *20 publications*. And there were people with near perfect gpas and GRE scores. If the first  round is a result of looking at primarily GRE and GPA, and those kinds of candidates didn't make it past the first round, then WHO did??

I think the first round is by the subject matter experts so don't think it's just GRE/GPA based. 

1 hour ago, BCHGang said:

I think this is one of the primary flaws with academia in general. I'm in no way passing judgement on the guy with 20 publications, but publication count =/= quality applicant. One or two really strong publications that actually advance the state of the art can be better than a bunch of minor publications that don't do anything.

From my understanding, there is an initial screening to separate the wheat from the chaff (people with very poor GPAs / GRE scores), this was likely done by a computer with limited human interaction. Those that passed this initial screening went to the subject matter experts, who evaluated the strength and relevancy of the proposal. Having a large (or small) number of publications to ones name in no way guarantees they wrote a strong (or weak) proposal.

W.r.t. to the various dates, I really don't think it means anything. I highly doubt they're trying to play mind tricks by lying to people about that. When I worked in industry I did campus recruiting for several years, and our recruiting system would play funny games all the time. I'd upload an interview record form, and when I'd go to check the next day, it wouldn't be there, so the application had no update. We already know SysPlus has some buggy systems, given the recommendation issues that arose. If they say the dates mean nothing, they probably mean nothing.

Lastly, recognize that there is a significant crisis going on right now. I have no doubt that things are slightly delayed as everyone reacts to this pandemic. Yes, I'm just as stressed as everyone, but agonizing over things won't do any good. They're doing the best they can to get back to everyone as soon as possible.

11 hours ago, zamboni_driver said:

This might be true but my thinking is that those who were actually serious about the application would seek out forums and post about the program. The amount of people posting is probably less than 10% of the number of applicants (based on previous years). Thus it makes sense that those who thought their application was competitive would be confused as to why it would not make it past preliminary rounds. After reading about 20 publications and such, I probably wasn't as competitive as I thought in that category though. Lol. 

Edited by 8008jsmith

13 hours ago, zamboni_driver said:

It's a response bias. People who are smart, have good stats, and care about their application likely put more effort into their app so their app is then more competitive. Those same people are likely to find themselves in places like grad cafe shootin the bull and hypothesizing about sysplus updates; so I would surmise that we are not reprepsentative of the entire population.