Canadian 2020 Fall Start (Spring 2020 Application) MPA/MPPA Thread: Info, Stats, Etc.

Hello, all! 

I'm hoping to start the thread here for applicants for MPA/MPPA (Policy, Public Administration) programs in Ontario or beyond (in Canada, still). 

I hope we can all support one another here with useful information and tips! 

I'm currently in my final year of undergrad at UofT (Humanities student!). I will be applying to schools in Spring 2020 and looking to start in Fall 2020. I don't know very much about all the potential programs just yet, but I hope to thoroughly research pertinent information before applying (obviously). Based on the information I do have, however, I hope to attend Queen's University's MPA. 

Please feel free to share posts about yourself, which programs you're interested (and why!), and any other relevant information. 

Cheers! 

Edited by policychiatto
Wrong date (year) in title

• 3 weeks later...

I am planning to apply to Grad school this year and hoping to start Sep.2020. 

I graduated from uft 10 years ago and went to work in the financial industry. I was always passionate about public policy but never pursued it after my graduation as i was already working for a bank. 

Not sure how hard it will be to get into grad school after a 10 yr gap and also i am pretty sure i wont be able to produce an academic reference. I ordered my transcript this week so lets see what my last 2 years of GPA looks like and will take it from there. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 8:02 AM, BTF said:

What’s the plan after graduation? Giving you advice is largely based on that. 

Hi BTF, 
(Sorry for the month-late reply lol) 

The plan is to start a program in September 2020, and the end goal is to work in the field of education policy, whether that be in government or non-profit contexts. 

Hope that makes sense!

28 minutes ago, policychiatto said:

Hi BTF, 
(Sorry for the month-late reply lol) 

The plan is to start a program in September 2020, and the end goal is to work in the field of education policy, whether that be in government or non-profit contexts. 

Hope that makes sense!

In terms of course work all the MPA/MPP/MPPA programs are more or less the same across Ontario.

If you are trying to figure out what schools to apply too I would recommend looking at the following;

Tuition cost

Coop options (Where they typically are, how long, are they paid, how many, etc.)

Check LinkedIn to see where recent grads ended up (Public vs Private vs Non-Profit Sector placement rates)

How much funding is available (this was a big factor for me)

Research opportunities (working as an RA, completing an MRP or Thesis) 

Call the administration offices, get a sense for how organized they are, if they seem disorganized chances are thats how your experience will be.

If you want my personal opinion, I applied to UofT, Queens, and Carleton, and was accpeted into each.

UofT offered me $2000 while total tuition for the 2 year program is about $50,000 (This is the maximum funding they give out)

Queens offered me $5000 with a promise to forward me for a few internal scholarships that would cover the rest of tuition. Total cost of the program is about $13,000

Carleton offered me $51,000 with a total program cost of around $17,000. (this was the obvious choice, also helps that Carleton is in Ottawa)

Feel free to message me anytime

33 minutes ago, BTF said:

In terms of course work all the MPA/MPP/MPPA programs are more or less the same across Ontario.

If you are trying to figure out what schools to apply too I would recommend looking at the following;

Tuition cost

Coop options (Where they typically are, how long, are they paid, how many, etc.)

Check LinkedIn to see where recent grads ended up (Public vs Private vs Non-Profit Sector placement rates)

How much funding is available (this was a big factor for me)

Research opportunities (working as an RA, completing an MRP or Thesis) 

Call the administration offices, get a sense for how organized they are, if they seem disorganized chances are thats how your experience will be.

If you want my personal opinion, I applied to UofT, Queens, and Carleton, and was accpeted into each.

UofT offered me $2000 while total tuition for the 2 year program is about $50,000 (This is the maximum funding they give out)

Queens offered me $5000 with a promise to forward me for a few internal scholarships that would cover the rest of tuition. Total cost of the program is about $13,000

Carleton offered me $51,000 with a total program cost of around $17,000. (this was the obvious choice, also helps that Carleton is in Ottawa)

Feel free to message me anytime

Wow, thank you so much. This is INCREDIBLY helpful-- I hadn't even thought to check LinkedIn. This will help many people this year!!! :)

On 9/20/2019 at 2:22 PM, SMPPA said:

I am planning to apply to Grad school this year and hoping to start Sep.2020. 

I graduated from uft 10 years ago and went to work in the financial industry. I was always passionate about public policy but never pursued it after my graduation as i was already working for a bank. 

Not sure how hard it will be to get into grad school after a 10 yr gap and also i am pretty sure i wont be able to produce an academic reference. I ordered my transcript this week so lets see what my last 2 years of GPA looks like and will take it from there. 

I wonder if your work experience may have been able to offer you something unique that may be considered by grad schools for policy programs. Let us know how things go! :)

Hello friends,

I am planning to apply for the MGA and linked programs this year at UofT, Carleton, Ottawa and UoBC. I have a few queries (former students, please do help):

a) I have an MBA, a PG Diploma in Journalism and media experience, dealing with international affairs, of more than seven years. All my education was in India. My UG, which was in Business Administration, was a while back and my net score in that was about 66. However, in PG, I had a CGPA of 8.34 and in diploma my grade was A-. Hope that does not disqualify me from any of the programs?

b) Do universities keep a specific age group in mind while selecting applicants? And do organisations coming for placement look for Canadian experience before selecting students?

c) The MGA program, as pointed out by many, is expensive and funding opportunities are few. The other programs are relatively affordable. Could anyone please tell me how different the programs are qualitatively?

d) Do GRE, IELTS scores make a difference when it comes to the application process?

e) What other prime components do universities look for while making the selection (I know good CGPA scores and a strong Statement of Intent is necessary but I would also like to know about other parameters of evaluation)?

Please chip in friends. I need all the help you can offer me :).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi HN19, 

Post these same questions to the admissions team of each school you are targeting. I did the same and got some very insightful responses with detailed scenario at each school. Every school and city has their pros and cons, so they'll be best able to comment on questions, esp. coming from international students (since MPP/MPA) has a slim international prospective student pool anyways. Having said so, my 2 cents on your questions based on the responses I received from schools - a) No, absolutely never a case (however in most programs the majority chunk is directly from undergrad or grad, with workexp pool seen in some like the recently opened Max Bell at McGill and Western MPA b) No, and yes (Canadians, not experience - for Federal jobs) c) You would be the best person to answer this since it really depends on your aspirations. Both Munk MPP and MGA are good and expensive as well, check theri curriculum may be d) May be, I havent given it a thought, I am an older applicant so wouldnt take them anyways hehe e) Admissions team again (but yeah, holistic - your degrees and workex would probably help you here)

I am an aspirant from India too btw, but I plan to apply after my PR which is probably due in few months. I will apply and if my PR comes through before classes start, I (and my tuition) would become domestic - that's what all the adcoms said.

All the best!

Edited by TD1983

• 3 months later...

hello,

i have applied for masters in public policy at university of Saskatchewan. yesterday i have received rejection email from them.  Other members may please share whether other universities like max bell, calgary, ottawa etc..have started giving their decisions.

Thanks  

I have just received an acceptance letter from Queens!

13 hours ago, Akvad said:

hello,

i have applied for masters in public policy at university of Saskatchewan. yesterday i have received rejection email from them.  Other members may please share whether other universities like max bell, calgary, ottawa etc..have started giving their decisions.

Thanks  

On 2/20/2020 at 3:32 PM, Slothy42 said:

Lucky you! Congrats ?, do you mind if I ask your stats? (L2 avg, professional experience?)

No problem! My CGPA is 3.5/4.3, L2 is 3.7/4.3. My professional experience includes FSWEP jobs and volunteer experience (some random school extracurriculars too).

Hi friends,

I was the first to comment on this thread. I have applied to all the programs; received rejection from Queen's yesterday. I have a Canadian PR, so I guess I am considered as a domestic student. Considering that I am yet to hear from any of the programs, I hope I still have a chance in some of them?

On 2/12/2020 at 9:56 AM, Akvad said:

hello,

Thanks  

Hello,

I just noticed that I too have received a rejection email a whole ago from Saskatchewan for the MPP program. They instead have asked me if I am interested in the MPA program. Did you also get the same mail? Also, anyone here who can tell me what the difference is between the two courses?

MPPA app at Carleton U went from "Review in Progress by department" to "Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs" stage today. Not sure if this is good news or not but here's hoping! Did anyone hear back from Carleton yet?

Edited by Svenpai

1 hour ago, Svenpai said:

MPPA app at Carleton U went from "Review in Progress by department" to "Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs" stage today. Not sure if this is good news or not but here's hoping! Did anyone hear back from Carleton yet?

It sounds like good news to me! My application status has yet to change from "Recommended for Assessment"

4 hours ago, Svenpai said:

Mine also says "Returned to Department" and "Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs". 

Here's an explanation of each application status for Carleton: https://graduate.carleton.ca/application-status/ 

We'll be notified by email once Carleton makes its decision. 

The following stages are: 

Decision made by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs: Application Approved

Decision made: Declined Admission

Your application was approved by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs and an Offer of Admission has been made to you. You can accept or decline your Offer of Admission in Carleton Central.

Your application has been reviewed and your application has been declined. Carleton’s graduate programs are highly competitive. For more information, contact the academic unit to which you have applied.

Edited by bananacoconut

23 hours ago, HN19 said:

Hello,

I just noticed that I too have received a rejection email a whole ago from Saskatchewan for the MPP program. They instead have asked me if I am interested in the MPA program. Did you also get the same mail? Also, anyone here who can tell me what the difference is between the two courses?

Hi,

i just got the rejection mail for MPP. But my status of application is still not uploaded in PAWS account. 

15 minutes ago, HN19 said:

My Carleton application still says 'preliminary assessment required'. Should I take it as a sign that they are not considering it for selection?

My first page says that. But click on the application (I believe it’s a red link). It probably says something else, like “Recommended for Assessment” or “Review in Progress by Faculty...”