Canadian 2020 Fall Start (Spring 2020 Application) MPA/MPPA Thread: Info, Stats, Etc.

Has anyone done the York University Public Policy Analysis Certificate program? Or know anyone that’s completed it? I’m looking to apply to complete the certificate part time, and then once completed, I’d like to apply to the UofT Masters of Public Policy program.

I currently have a Bachelors of Arts in Psychology and an Honours Bachelor of Social Work Degree, however I have a lot of experience working with the provincial government in mental health policy development so I’d like to shift my educational focus to public policy. 

I don’t think I have enough experience to apply directly to the Masters of Public Policy program so I’m looking for a sort of stepping stone and thought that maybe the York Public Policy Analysis Certificate might be a good first step. If anyone has any reviews of the program, or any advice for me at all, I’d love to hear it !

Thanks so much :)

Hello guys,

With a heavy heart, I have to tell you that my application to Munk has been rejected. I am not sure why. I believe I did put my best foot forward. I have a few queries for anyone who can assist me:

a) It is possible that my application was rejected due to my low UG score (around 66%). However, I did have a PG already (in which I scored 8.34). Do they consider only the UG scores while filtering the application out?

b) In case I apply next year, will the application face a similar fate, considering that the UG score was low?

c) Is there a bridge course that I can do to boost my score before I apply for MGA?

I have applied for a few other programs in other universities. Keeping my fingers crossed. Is it true that the admissions go on till August?

18 hours ago, Slycky-J said:

Does anyone also know when Calgary MPP and Laurier MIPP will begin to send letters 

I got my acceptance to Laurier MIPP but no formal letter yet. The acceptance came in like Feb 19th and still no formal letter.

On 3/6/2020 at 4:09 PM, HN19 said:

Hello guys,

With a heavy heart, I have to tell you that my application to Munk has been rejected. I am not sure why. I believe I did put my best foot forward. I have a few queries for anyone who can assist me:

a) It is possible that my application was rejected due to my low UG score (around 66%). However, I did have a PG already (in which I scored 8.34). Do they consider only the UG scores while filtering the application out?

b) In case I apply next year, will the application face a similar fate, considering that the UG score was low?

c) Is there a bridge course that I can do to boost my score before I apply for MGA?

I have applied for a few other programs in other universities. Keeping my fingers crossed. Is it true that the admissions go on till August?

I am sorry to hear that- stay up! Hopefully someone has an answer for you.

Has anyone's status on the UofT MPP application changed from "documents received" ..... getting nervyyy

Edited by NoL's2020

1 hour ago, educatedkitkat said:

I got acceptance to Carleton yesterday! Almost 12k in funding. Really thankful that I have been accepted to everywhere I applied. Now for the decisions. 

Did your status change from Recommended to Assessment before you got accepted?

16 minutes ago, educatedkitkat said:

It actually didn’t. It happened so fast I didn’t get to see the change from the one day to the other. 

I'm still waiting. I have similar stats to you, but private sector experience. I'm really hoping to hear something soon!

Finally got my acceptance from U of T Munk School MPP! Im so excited! But the admissions letter didn't say anything at all about funding so I'm not sure what is happening on that front. Does anyone know what might be up with that?

30 minutes ago, bbqpauk said:

Finally got my acceptance from U of T Munk School MPP! Im so excited! But the admissions letter didn't say anything at all about funding so I'm not sure what is happening on that front. Does anyone know what might be up with that?

Been lurking for a while but I made an account just to reply to this! I just got my acceptance from Munk as well but there was nothing in there about funding... I saw from last year's posts that some people got 3k or more. Also got into the Berkeley GSPP with no funding, so if Munk doesn't have any money for me then I might as well leave the country, haha. ?‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Jerold said:

Been lurking for a while but I made an account just to reply to this! I just got my acceptance from Munk as well but there was nothing in there about funding... I saw from last year's posts that some people got 3k or more. Also got into the Berkeley GSPP with no funding, so if Munk doesn't have any money for me then I might as well leave the country, haha. ?‍♂️

Oh shoot okay. Because the thought of 20k a year is a little daunting.  

I also received an offer of admission from Munk today. Did not mention funding either.

I accepted Queens offer since the deadline to do so was early March. I confirmed with the coordinator that the deadline to submit your deposit is in June.

Queens has always been my first choice but now I’m considering Munk instead (mostly because I want to stay close to home). Knowing more about funding from both schools would be helpful but not sure when they give out funding info. Any thoughts or advice?

On 3/14/2020 at 3:20 PM, bbqpauk said:

Just an update. I just received a formal letter of acceptance today and they offered the standard 3k of funding.

On 3/10/2020 at 5:06 PM, Slycky-J said:

Does anyone also know when Calgary MPP and Laurier MIPP will begin to send letters 

hey! just wanted to let you know calgary sent out my acceptance a couple weeks ago so they've probably started their first round! hope that helps! Also they offered 7500$ funding. I wont be accepting so hope that opens up a spot for you!

On 2/26/2020 at 9:38 AM, bananacoconut said:

Eyo! Carleton’s sending decisions already! 

I got an email before 5AM Ottawa time today. With TA-ship, they’re offering nearly $35k total! I am floored! 

I've just my received my acceptance from Carleton!! 

I haven't seen any info about funding on Carleton Central though. Is there another email about this?

Thanks!

11 hours ago, misslao said:

I've just my received my acceptance from Carleton!! 

I haven't seen any info about funding on Carleton Central though. Is there another email about this?

Thanks!

Congrats! :) 

As far as I know, there's no other email, but they split the acceptance letter and the funding stuff. Funding isn't actually detailed in a letter. But the details should be on Carleton Central. 

Anyone hear from McGill MPP lately? Last time I talked to them they said they'd be sending out the next wave of letters a week or two ago.

Obviously totally understand that coronavirus has presumably changed their timeline but I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of a new ETA? Cheers

On 3/24/2020 at 10:42 AM, sillygoose4 said:

Anyone hear from McGill MPP lately? Last time I talked to them they said they'd be sending out the next wave of letters a week or two ago.

Obviously totally understand that coronavirus has presumably changed their timeline but I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of a new ETA? Cheers

McGill right now is overwhelmed because of the virus. You probably will need to wait a little longer, they've told their students that they're explicitly working on remote education for current students in all programs right now and need the help of all their administrative staff. Likely why there's a delay. 

Anyone know whether there are any implications to accepting your offer at Carleton and not actually taking it up? 

I'm fortunate to have received an offer and my deadline to reply is Thursday. However, I'm still waiting to hear back from another school which is better for my particular program, and so I might end up changing my mind about where I'd go based on if they gave me an offer. 

My offer at Carleton is also only conditional upon me taking another econ course. I don't think there's any deposit to be worried about either, but I was wondering if there was some other penalty...