Schools that do not look at GPA as much

For those with lower GPAs which schools did you apply to? Any suggestions on schools that do not look at GPA as much? Tips for finding at these types of schools would be helpful!! My GPA is low but I have great experience and so are the recommendation letters I have received.

This application process is depressing. It seems like this program is for who are overall perfect (high GPAs and great experience) 

• 6 months later...
On 9/30/2019 at 11:30 AM, SRod2015 said:

For those with lower GPAs which schools did you apply to? Any suggestions on schools that do not look at GPA as much? Tips for finding at these types of schools would be helpful!! My GPA is low but I have great experience and so are the recommendation letters I have received.

This application process is depressing. It seems like this program is for who are overall perfect (high GPAs and great experience) 

One of my good friends got into UDC with a low GPA and low GRE scores, she speaks highly of the program and has been trying to convince me to apply because the other girls in her cohort were in the same situation.

I posted this elsewhere but thought that it would be helpful here too:

Your best bet is to try and study REALLY hard for the GRE or take some online courses to bolster your current GPA. If you don't want to take any additional courses I would recommend looking into non west-coast schools, specifically private schools. They are notorious for accepting people with lower GPA's but the catch is that they are typically more expensive since they are private and hence offer more spots. 

Also I'd recommend looking at EdFind (https://find.asha.org/ed#sort=relevancy)

From what I found these are schools where a very low GPA (2.5) will be considered:
-Francis Marion University 
-Edinboro University
-Montclair State University
-Xavier University of Louisiana

I don't think you'd be at too much risk unless your GPA in the major is below a 3.3 or overall GPA is below a 3.2. Remember a lower GPA can be made up with a higher GRE. Also having relevant experiences such as research or working with special needs helps too. Applying out of state if you can helps too since some programs reserve seats for out of state candidates. Schools with a more holistic approach to applicants would probably be

-Eastern New Mexico

-Saint Mary's College

-Indiana State University

The application process is very stressful but honestly as long as you don't have more than 1 C (especially in a major class), get a GRE score from +290 with a 4 on writing you will be okay. Honestly there isn't even set numbers because what gets you in 1 year might not the next. I have friends who had 4.0s that got rejected places and have friends with lower GPAs and a lower GRE than me get into the same schools I got waitlisted too.

On 9/30/2019 at 11:30 AM, SRod2015 said:

I also thought only those with perfect GPAs get into master’s programs in general. You do not need perfect experience or GPAs. I would say look for programs that care more about who you are as a person than just your GPA like SUNY Plattsburgh. That will come from people’s personal experiences with interviews. I see you were accepted into a program so congrats!!