Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering Applications for 2020 Admission

LHMQ

13 hours ago, ydzhu said:

I was wondering the same thing. I figured they've already sent out all their invites since this/next week would be really short notice; but then again, I live overseas and you are international. I wonder if there's a different protocol for us. Whichever the case, it's not over until it's over haha. Good luck.  

Well. I am an international student as well, and during the interview for Columbia, the PI told me that international students must go through a different funding process (or something like that), which is approved only in a later stage. So, maybe institutions that do not conduct interviews send their decisions (for international students) at a later date.

10 minutes ago, HopefulGrad2020 said:

Has anyone heard back from Columbia? Have interviews been done already?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that they interview domestic students somewhere in Feb. I had an interview, but the PI contacted me informally... 

58 minutes ago, HopefulGrad2020 said:

Has anyone heard back from Columbia? Have interviews been done already?

I had correspondence with a professor. He told me that interview days are Feb 20-21, and the committee just met Friday (1/17) to discuss who to invite for interviews. The invites will go out shortly for domestic applicants (1-2 weeks). I really hope I get one as I haven't heard anything yet and most schools I applied to have already sent out interviews...plus the research fit is perfect

Edited by 2020bioE

49 minutes ago, Cece333 said:

Has anyone heard back from JHU?

I saw the results page show someone got an interview invite from a PI reaching out directly (so ahead of the departments official invite). 

Not sure if they stuck to their 3rd Monday deadline. I haven't heard back, and I am also wondering if anyone did officially? 

6 hours ago, HopefulGrad2020 said:

New user to gradcafe,

Feeling anxy so I decided to join this forum! Feels good to know that everyone seems to be on the same page

Info on UPenn (just confirming posts seen on this forum):

Had Skype interview with Upenn PI. He said that all profs were given access to applications. Among the applicants that profs like, profs were to report to the Penn BE Committee on their preferred candidates by Jan 17. As such, some students were Skype interviewed before this Jan 17 internal deadline. On-campus interviews for selected candidates should be out very soon accordingly.

Best of luck to everyone!

Also had a Skype interview, have you heard anything back yet?

My PI didn't really mention much on the process, but everything you said lines up. I saw on the results page multiple people reported such Skype interviews from PIs not on their statement, which I found odd, did the same happen to you?

39 minutes ago, ImpatientApplier said:

I saw the results page show someone got an interview invite from a PI reaching out directly (so ahead of the departments official invite). 

Not sure if they stuck to their 3rd Monday deadline. I haven't heard back, and I am also wondering if anyone did officially? 

Yeah, I saw that... I’ve been on edge all day so any news will make me feel better... good luck guys...

10 minutes ago, ydzhu said:

Congratulations! Do you know when or if they have a visit weekend?

Yes, it is an interview for Feb 13 to 14. However, my friend got an invite for Feb 14 to 15. They also may not be done sending invites, so hold tight. My friend received his interview email about a week ago whereas I just got it now. They were sent by the coordinator of graduate affairs. 

Edit: also as you mentioned above the process may be different for international students. My friend and I are both domestic students and much of the interview invite discusses travel arrangements and hotels. 

Edited by 2020bioE

5 minutes ago, 2020bioE said:

Yes, it is an interview for Feb 13 to 14. However, my friend got an invite for Feb 14 to 15. They also may not be done sending invites, so hold tight. My friend received his interview email about a week ago whereas I just got it now. They were sent by the coordinator of graduate affairs. 

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I've been wondering about UCSD. I saw a few rejections posted for that school, but little else. Best of luck. I'm quite literally on the edge of my seat now haha.  

6 minutes ago, ydzhu said:

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I've been wondering about UCSD. I saw a few rejections posted for that school, but little else. Best of luck. I'm quite literally on the edge of my seat now haha.  

I literally felt the same way until today man... it was literally the first time I stopped worrying about it since the new year and I got the email. I hope the invite's coming for you

Edited by 2020bioE

7 hours ago, ImpatientApplier said:

Also had a Skype interview, have you heard anything back yet?

My PI didn't really mention much on the process, but everything you said lines up. I saw on the results page multiple people reported such Skype interviews from PIs not on their statement, which I found odd, did the same happen to you?

I have not heard anything back after the Skype interview, but I am sure that follow up news will be coming this week.

I was contacted by both my POI and another PI I had not mentioned in my SOP. I think it's not too entirely surprising, because the PI I did not mention in my SOP who reached out to me was still in the same research area/topic I had mentioned. I think if the PI students mentioned in their SOP are not looking to hire more students this admission season, similar-topic PIs may be interested in those students. 

I will keep posting back results on this forum on Penn!

Hey guys!

Did anyone receive any news on Hopkins? The website said they would send out invites by the third Monday in January (aka yesterday), but I haven’t seen anything. It’s my top choice program, so I am wondering if anyone has any insight?

12 minutes ago, Cece333 said:

Hey guys!

Did anyone receive any news on Hopkins? The website said they would send out invites by the third Monday in January (aka yesterday), but I haven’t seen anything. It’s my top choice program, so I am wondering if anyone has any insight?

Hi, so I emailed my POI from Hopkins BME who told me that yesterday was a holiday. As far as he knew, the invites are't out yet. He said he will contact the committee and let me know soon. I will put it here as soon as I get an update from him 

29 minutes ago, HopeforNeuroPhd said:

Hi, so I emailed my POI from Hopkins BME who told me that yesterday was a holiday. As far as he knew, the invites are't out yet. He said he will contact the committee and let me know soon. I will put it here as soon as I get an update from him 

Thank you so much — having this update means a lot to me and I feel a lot better!! Looking forward to any further news :)

1 hour ago, WanderingNomad said:

I think all the decisions for UC Berkeley/UCSF have officially been released now. I just got a rejection e-mail ~30 minutes ago, and according to Gradcafe results, a LOT of other people did around the same time. 

Email landed in my junk folder along with an invitation to consider the MTM and MEng track. Will be considering those pending other decisions. 

Edited by ydzhu

8 minutes ago, WanderingNomad said:

Congrats, man! Was the e-mail from the school or from one of the professors? Just wondering if I should start worrying lol

Thank you, I appreciate it because it was my first choice!! It was a generic email saying they short-listed my interview. They might send out more.

46 minutes ago, Cece333 said:

Thank you, I appreciate it because it was my first choice!! It was a generic email saying they short-listed my interview. They might send out more.

When is the interview scheduled for, if you don't mind me asking?

I am just wondering if perhaps they'll have two rounds (which might be suggested by an early interview time) or just the one. 

Either way I suppose there is still hope they send more invites... Congrats to you regardless!