Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering Applications for 2020 Admission

LHMQ

1 hour ago, Itai said:

Hi,
Does anyone know if Duke, Princeton, and Cornell work on a rolling admission base? I saw that some already got answers and it's making me nervous.
Also, does anyone has any insights regarding Carnegie Mellon Biomedical engineering?

Hello, I'm wondering the same thing about Cornell. 

I remember that the moment I submitted my application on their portal, the final message said that the admission is rolling based and that I would receive the decision as soon as it's made.

Got MSE admission from JHU ChemBE. I thought it was similar with bioengineering but actually it is the completely different stuff. I also applied to BME phd but a professor told me I failed, and suggests me to apply for BME MSE instead. However, the BME MSE reached ddl already:-( What a life

7 hours ago, Itai said:

Hi,
Does anyone know if Duke, Princeton, and Cornell work on a rolling admission base? I saw that some already got answers and it's making me nervous.
Also, does anyone has any insights regarding Carnegie Mellon Biomedical engineering?

Princeton chemical & biological engineering sent out their acceptance batch yesterday and likely won't be admitting much more, unless enough people turn down offers.

8 hours ago, Itai said:

Hi,

I heard back from Duke and in it they CC'd the POI I was already talking to before applications. They said "we are holding a group recruitment visit on January 31, 2020". So take that as you will but it seems like send out an invitation once the POI gives the go ahead

4 hours ago, 5StarsDennisReynolds said:

From the results page, it seems so :( I guess there is some chance they might send some more!

Yeah... Got email about interviews at Stanford yesterday, it says we have to select interview slots (Zoom interviews) by 17 Jan Friday, and interviews slots are from 22 Jan - 24 Jan, and I think everyone is assigned to interview with 4 PI/student for 30min each. There might be another round of interviews though, since the visit date for admitted students are not until early March. 

Also heard back today from UCSF/Berkeley as well, interviews are February 5-7 or February 26-28. Interviewees are also requested to prepare a 3-5min research presentation. Seems like I might not be able to make both weekends though... I wonder has anyone tried to request for interviews over Skype and how does that usually work?

Edited by NegativeCation

8 minutes ago, NegativeCation said:

Yeah... Got email about interviews at Stanford yesterday, it says we have to select interview slots (Zoom interviews) by 17 Jan Friday, and interviews slots are from 22 Jan - 24 Jan, and I think everyone is assigned to interview with 4 PI/student for 30min each. There might be another round of interviews though, since the visit date for admitted students are not until early March. 

Also heard back today from UCSF/Berkeley as well, interviews are February 5-7 or February 26-28. Interviewees are also requested to prepare a 3-5min research presentation. Seems like I might not be able to make both weekends though... I wonder has anyone tried to request for interviews over Skype and how does that usually work?

Wow, congrats! To your question, I don't have experience with this, but what I would do in this situation is e-mail the program coordinator about your conflict (I'm assuming those conflict with interview weekends at other schools?). Tell them you've already committed to other interviews during those time periods, and ask if they're going to have an alternate weekend/day that you could come in and visit separately from everyone else (if it's not too far past the time that you got the invitation, you can also ask the other schools this). 

If one or both schools have an alternate weekend that works, great. If not, then ask for a video interview. If that's also not an option, then you'll probably have to choose between them.  

5 minutes ago, nodog28 said:

Anyone hear back from Washington or Berkeley yet?

I just heard back with a video/phone interview from UW. Nothing yet from Berkeley for me. 

Edited by Lbhm

2 hours ago, Lbhm said:

I just heard back with a video/phone interview from UW. Nothing yet from Berkeley for me. 

I also heard from UW but not Berkeley yet. I havent seen any Berkeley results on the results page. 

13 hours ago, ChemEBear said:

Princeton chemical & biological engineering sent out their acceptance batch yesterday and likely won't be admitting much more, unless enough people turn down offers.

I received offer from CMU Biomedical yesterday!

16 hours ago, NegativeCation said:

When I thought that I might have a problem with the MIT interview weekend and asked about other possiblities, they told me, "we can certainly make different arrangements such as setting up a time to skype in so that you can meet with faculty." So I guess the same goes for other universities. 

On 1/16/2020 at 5:50 AM, Cece333 said:

Thank you for this!!! I wanted to add a few schools. Also, do you know if all USC invitations have been sent out already?

Harvard: skype interview, unknown recruitment date 

UCLA: recruitment date: 2/6-2/7

USC: skype interview 

UCSD: who knows 

UCB: Don’t know too much about this, rejected shit ton of applicants last year 

UW: Last year notified Jan19th

Cornell: I don’t think they do interviews 

Yale: nothing yet

MIT: interviews 

Upenn: Jan 24th  3.7-3.9 (last year’s post)

Stanford: MID-MARCH Sent out the decision by April. 

UCI

Johns Hopkins: website says interviews will be out next Monday the latest

Purdue:

Boston University:

sharing some hearsay

UW: interviews (Last year notified Jan19th)

Yale: interviews

UCI

Johns Hopkins: interviews (heard someone got 2 rounds of interviews) (website says interviews will be out next Monday the latest)

Purdue:

Boston University: acceptance w/ fellowship on the results page

Edited by zerozero1

34 minutes ago, zerozero1 said:

sharing some hearsay

UCI

Johns Hopkins: interviews (heard someone got 2 rounds of interviews) (website says interviews will be out next Monday the latest)

Purdue:

Hi! Are you sure about JHU?

1 hour ago, zerozero1 said:

sharing some hearsay

UCI

Purdue:

This may sound dumb, but what exactly is the "recruitment" date for UCLA? Is it a period during which they'll be sending out their invitations for interview? Thanks!