Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering Applications for 2020 Admission

LHMQ

4 hours ago, AtLeastOneAdmission said:

So if I didn't get invitation for UPenn interview by now, it must be a rejection, huh?

Possibly, not definitely.

In their email they did not admit anyone, just invite us to visit. I'm sure some people won't take the invitation, or will be otherwise not be offered admission post visit.

I will add, they claimed that each visit is personalized and had us mark faculty we wanted to meet (as well as faculty mark students they wanted to interview), and that the preference for which date we get to visit was based on first come first serve, and to respond in 3 business days. Take that how you will, but I nonetheless wish you the best of luck.

Edited by ImpatientApplier

8 minutes ago, ImpatientApplier said:

Possibly, not definitely.

In their email they did not admit anyone, just invite us to visit. I'm sure some people won't take the invitation, or will be otherwise not be offered admission post visit.

I will add, they claimed that each visit is personalized and had us mark faculty we wanted to meet (as well as faculty mark students they wanted to interview), and that the preference for which date we get to visit was based on first come first serve, and to respond in 3 business days. Take that how you will, but I nonetheless wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for the insight! 

I truly hope they'll send out more interviews in the coming days. BTW, I noticed you also applied to Cornell? Did you hear anything from there? 

p/s my specialty is microfluidics/lab-on-a-chip 

21 minutes ago, AtLeastOneAdmission said:

Thanks for the insight! 

I truly hope they'll send out more interviews in the coming days. BTW, I noticed you also applied to Cornell? Did you hear anything from there? 

p/s my specialty is microfluidics/lab-on-a-chip 

No, I saw they've been trickling out straight acceptances (I assume that comes with a visit offer too lol), but at least I haven't been rejected...yet. It's somewhat interesting how different schools (and even departments within schools) take such different approaches to admissions. Just sucks we have to be on the receiving end of all that uncertainty.

I have a question regarding Stanford Bioengineering admissions. I saw that a batch of people got interviews mid-January and I have not received anything from them yet. They also just sent an email just now stating that decisions typically come out mid-march. I'm wondering if they accept people without an interview? Or does that fact that I have not received an interview mean that I most likely didn't get in?

4 minutes ago, Baarbod said:

I have a question regarding Stanford Bioengineering admissions. I saw that a batch of people got interviews mid-January and I have not received anything from them yet. They also just sent an email just now stating that decisions typically come out mid-march. I'm wondering if they accept people without an interview? Or does that fact that I have not received an interview mean that I most likely didn't get in?

They told me during interviews last week that adcom is meeting this week to go through applicants who had interviews last week and that decisions would be sent out in the couple weeks following. I don’t think they accept without interviews . Perhaps they will do another batch of interviews after adcom meets this week, but that is just my speculation. 

Edited by WhatTheHek293

6 minutes ago, WhatTheHek293 said:

They told me during interviews last week that adcom is meeting this week to go through applicants who had interviews last week and that decisions would be sent out in the couple weeks following. I don’t think they accept without interviews . Perhaps they will do another batch of interviews after adcom meets this week, but that is just my speculation. 

Was your interview a phone/skype interview or in-person?

12 minutes ago, 2020bioE said:

Was your interview a phone/skype interview or in-person?

I thought all in-person interviews were for March 9-10, barring the international travel criterion. Maybe those are for finalists? Either way, I see I'm not the only one angsty about this. That Stanford BioE email update scared the crap out of me haha. I thought it was a rejection. 

16 minutes ago, ydzhu said:

I thought all in-person interviews were for March 9-10, barring the international travel criterion. Maybe those are for finalists? Either way, I see I'm not the only one angsty about this. That Stanford BioE email update scared the crap out of me haha. I thought it was a rejection. 

They changed it this year. All short listed candidates got 3 zoom video interviews with 3 different professors last week. We were told that accepted applicants are then invited for a recruitment event March 9-10. This is different from last years on campus interviews (with decisions following the in person interviews). I do not think on campus interviews are happening this year and I am not an international student. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheHek293 said:

They changed it this year. All short listed candidates got 3 zoom video interviews with 3 different professors last week. We were told that accepted applicants are then invited for a recruitment event March 9-10. This is different from last years on campus interviews (with decisions following the in person interviews). I do not think on campus interviews are happening this year and I am not an international student. 

Appreciate the detailed info! This is the exact kind of inside scoop I like from this forum. Now I can quite worrying about their decision. 

52 minutes ago, computationaldd said:

People who were accepted to MIT BE, were you given a deadline to reply by?

I couldn't find a reply-by deadline in the e-mail; there were only deadlines to provide them with some related information (like the list of preferred faculty, etc.).

12 minutes ago, WanderingNomad said:

I couldn't find a reply-by deadline in the e-mail; there were only deadlines to provide them with some related information (like the list of preferred faculty, etc.).

Congrats!

For nothing more than my curiosity, would you mind giving us some stats or relevant info that you feel helped you get accepted? Totally cool if not, best wishes either way!

6 hours ago, DreamOfferPlssssss said:

Hi folks!

according to last 3 yrs' results, seem like there are two rounds of campus visit invitation for UPenn BioE. the first round is about a week ago. anyone get any notification about 2nd round?

I'll just add that  previous years' data may not be as relevant as usual, because they have a new system in place this year (where they did Skype interviews then invitations).

Best of luck either way!