Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering Applications for 2020 Admission

LHMQ

2 hours ago, AlwaysPPE said:

Does anyone have updates for any of the following? 

Harvard, Cornell, Northwestern, and Georgia Tech.

I am not sure if they are likely done sending invites/acceptances and I haven't heard anything from any of them. 

Hi. 

I contacted Cornell on 11th, and was told that decisions are still being made and that they expect to be done by the end of this month. 

On the same day, Harvard told me that they are also still making decisions and that they expect to complete sending out decisions by 15th of March. GAtech I think already sent out all interview invites, so if one didn’t get any notifications, I think it’s rejection :( 

3 hours ago, aniben said:

Should I just assume I got rejected from UCSD Bioengineering if I still haven't heard back from them at all? I got an offer elsewhere but I want to accept it after knowing the results for all my schools.

I got rejected from the PhD program and offered an MS. The email was sent on feb13th. Maybe the fact that you have not been contacted could be a good sign.

On 2/19/2020 at 4:51 PM, aniben said:

Should I just assume I got rejected from UCSD Bioengineering if I still haven't heard back from them at all? I got an offer elsewhere but I want to accept it after knowing the results for all my schools.

UCSD has interview dates Feb14 / Feb 28. If you were not invited to interviews it is likely going to be a master offer with option to transfer to PhD after 1st year. 

On 2/17/2020 at 9:56 AM, biohopefull2019 said:

Wondering if anyone knows anything new about Duke BME? Anyone get any new interview requests? I emailed the coordinator a few weeks ago and got told for interviews

"Once faculty identify candidates they’re interested in, they contact them to conduct skype or phone interviews. Then they may be invited to an campus visit for an interview. This process takes place starting in late December through early March." and

"We have set interview dates, however faculty will occasionally have recruits come on different dates if scheduling conflicts warrant it."

I see there's already a first round of acceptances, so was wondering if anyone would be willing to share how the interviews were/ who the professor was. I had a Skype conversation with my POI back in october, so I have no idea if that counts as the interview? Has been pretty radio silent from him so far. 

Went through last years BME thread and last years acceptances on main feed, and information seems to be pretty sparse. though it looks like people were getting accepted into late/end of march. 

31 minutes ago, Applicant001 said:

Does anyone has information about UPenn? I applied for the Ph.D program and the application portal has been “under review” since December. Should I assume that I got rejected?

I know that they sent out invitation for interviews in late January. Unfortunately, unless a lot of those invitees turn down interview request, they are unlikely to invite more students.  

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): UCD

Major(s): Neuroscience
Minor(s): Computer science
GPA in Major: 2.6/4.00
Overall GPA: 3.0/4.00
Demographics/Background: Asian International

GRE Scores:
Q: 170(xx%)
V: 153 (xx%)
W: 3.5 (xx%)

LOR: 1 letter from lab supervisor, 1 from course professor, 1 from summer internship supervisor, I guess they are all not well known or strong

Research Experience: 1 year+3 summer internship

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations: 1 paper published 1 under review, all co-1st-author, if=2

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: None

Fellowships/Funding: Parent-funding :(

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:  None

Other Miscellaneous Accomplishments: None

Anything else in your application that might matter (faculty connections, etc.): None

Research Interests: circuits

Institutions/Programs: UCSD-bioE, UCSF-imaging, UCLA-bioE, UBC-bioE, BCM-neuro, UCI-bioE, all master programs

Comments: 

I got an offer from UCSD. It is a master program with medical specification of Bioengineering. (MS.Med) How is it different from the regular master program? Can I apply for transition to phD with this program? I knew that UCSD is really good at bioengineering, is it the same for such master program too?

Since I have a really bad GPA and not-so-good LOR and PS, I am really worried that this is a program designed for moneybags...

3 hours ago, AtLeastOneAdmission said:

Does anyone have info on Harvard BE? Did they finish sending out acceptances? Do they accept only after interviews?

According to SEAS graduate admissions coordinator, the decisions will be made available this week by GSAS. I reached out to them over phone.

On 2/22/2020 at 6:40 AM, Jolly44 said:

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): UCD

Major(s): Neuroscience
Minor(s): Computer science
GPA in Major: 2.6/4.00
Overall GPA: 3.0/4.00
Demographics/Background: Asian International

GRE Scores:
Q: 170(xx%)
V: 153 (xx%)
W: 3.5 (xx%)

LOR: 1 letter from lab supervisor, 1 from course professor, 1 from summer internship supervisor, I guess they are all not well known or strong

Research Experience: 1 year+3 summer internship

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations: 1 paper published 1 under review, all co-1st-author, if=2

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: None

Fellowships/Funding: Parent-funding :(

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:  None

Other Miscellaneous Accomplishments: None

Anything else in your application that might matter (faculty connections, etc.): None

Research Interests: circuits

Institutions/Programs: UCSD-bioE, UCSF-imaging, UCLA-bioE, UBC-bioE, BCM-neuro, UCI-bioE, all master programs

Comments: 

I got an offer from UCSD. It is a master program with medical specification of Bioengineering. (MS.Med) How is it different from the regular master program? Can I apply for transition to phD with this program? I knew that UCSD is really good at bioengineering, is it the same for such master program too?

Since I have a really bad GPA and not-so-good LOR and PS, I am really worried that this is a program designed for moneybags...

From what I found in the UCSD general catalog, The master of science in bioengineering with a medical specialization (MS-MED) program is under BENG department. The curriculum seems very different from the normal MS program, so you may need to contact Jan and ask her if it's possible to transfer to PhD. 

On 2/24/2020 at 11:08 PM, AtLeastOneAdmission said:

Got my rejection from Harvard. Does anyone know if there's any hope in waiting for Cornell and GT?

I'm in the same boat, and to be honest, not really holding out much hope for either. Others have said that GT is done interviewing, and Cornell is done accepting. I assume they haven't gotten around to rejections yet as a backup. Unfortunate to say the least...

1 hour ago, AlwaysPPE said:

I'm in the same boat, and to be honest, not really holding out much hope for either. Others have said that GT is done interviewing, and Cornell is done accepting. I assume they haven't gotten around to rejections yet as a backup. Unfortunate to say the least...

I know people who got their rejections from Cornell already :( I wonder why they won't just notify everyone rejected at the same time, isnt their system automated anyway. 

2 hours ago, AtLeastOneAdmission said:

I know people who got their rejections from Cornell already :( I wonder why they won't just notify everyone rejected at the same time, isnt their system automated anyway. 

Perhaps it's because we are both international students, and they are trying to first primarily focus their capacity on easier-to-fund domestic students?

Unfortunately I don't have a full explanation, but maybe reaching out and asking may shed some light.

I still haven't heard anything back from UW BE. I interviewed and haven't been rejected/accepted. Wish they would just tell me I'm waitlisted/rejected instead of ghosting :)

Has anyone else in the same situation emailed/heard back from UW?

On 2/26/2020 at 10:59 PM, Bernt said:

I still haven't heard anything back from UW BE. I interviewed and haven't been rejected/accepted. Wish they would just tell me I'm waitlisted/rejected instead of ghosting :)

Has anyone else in the same situation emailed/heard back from UW?

I have not yet heard from UW either. I've had three interviews with one more coming up and one rejection. No word from 4 other programs including UW. Wish they would send something instead of leaving us hanging! 

How long does it typically take most schools after the interview to send acceptances? I'm starting to get very nervous about my previous interviews since it's been a few weeks since a couple of them.