Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering Applications for 2020 Admission

LHMQ

12 minutes ago, AtLeastOneAdmission said:

Are there any international applicants who are still waiting for updates from Cornell, GT, UIUC? Do we have any hope or is it time to finally give up ?

Still waiting for a decision from Cornell. It's radio silence - they don't even reply to emails.

11 minutes ago, Anik_91 said:

Still waiting for a decision from Cornell. It's radio silence - they don't even reply to emails.

I haven't gotten any response to several of my emails, while interestingly some people do. My head just overthinks everything at this point, so I was here wondering if that's cause I am likely to be accepted/rejected. 

9 hours ago, AtLeastOneAdmission said:

I haven't gotten any response to several of my emails, while interestingly some people do. My head just overthinks everything at this point, so I was here wondering if that's cause I am likely to be accepted/rejected. 

Have you tried to contact their graduate student services coordinator? She replied pretty quickly to my emails (about 2 weeks ago, that was)

12 hours ago, Cece333 said:

Huh, that's interesting -- they didn't mention that in the website they set up for the interview. 

Yea, I would reach out to the program director about how things are setup this year.

12 hours ago, Itai said:

Well. I am an international student, and I got accepted to JHU ( Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering).The first year is fully funded although I am not assigned to a specfic lab. 

I'm guessing that this varies with program. Particularly in the case of JHU BME, you're admitted through school of medicine (SOM) and not through school of engineering (WSE). SOM is majorly funded through federal money. But again, things might be different this year. Good luck to you'll.

22 minutes ago, Pop? said:

Have you tried to contact their graduate student services coordinator? She replied pretty quickly to my emails (about 2 weeks ago, that was)

Thank you for the suggestion!

Tried emailing her today, and finally received a reply! It didn't give me any closure though. the tale as old as time, that they are still working on decisions, and that i should be waiting until the end of this month. I highly doubt any programs would be sending out their decisions this late, so I am just giving up at this point. 

37 minutes ago, AtLeastOneAdmission said:

Thank you for the suggestion!

Tried emailing her today, and finally received a reply! It didn't give me any closure though. the tale as old as time, that they are still working on decisions, and that i should be waiting until the end of this month. I highly doubt any programs would be sending out their decisions this late, so I am just giving up at this point. 

You never know. Also, for what it's worth I plan on turning down my UIUC offer if I get into any of the other two schools I'm interviewing at, so if you're not denied there's still hope. UIUC is also direct match so if you can persuade an advisor to fund you they can push you through. What's your sub-field? 

Hi y'all!

I received an invitation to JHU's interview weekend for the BME PhD program. I have just received my personalized agenda and I saw that I only have 3 interviews scheduled whereas the form had the option to choose 6 faculty. I am kind of worried this is a bad sign, since the less faculty I talk to = less chance of getting accepted. I wanted to ask if anyone had any experience with this or had the same situation? Also, how are you guys preparing for the interviews with specific professors?

All help is appreciated!

Laura

11 minutes ago, laura_PhD said:

Hi y'all!

I received an invitation to JHU's interview weekend for the BME PhD program. I have just received my personalized agenda and I saw that I only have 3 interviews scheduled whereas the form had the option to choose 6 faculty. I am kind of worried this is a bad sign, since the less faculty I talk to = less chance of getting accepted. I wanted to ask if anyone had any experience with this or had the same situation? Also, how are you guys preparing for the interviews with specific professors?

All help is appreciated!

Laura

For my interviews at other programs, they asked me for 6-8 faculty I was interested in, then I was assigned 3 interviews. They ask for a large amount so they have some freedom with scheduling; some profs may not be available for interviews, some may be a popular interview request, etc. Three interviews seems to be the standard for in-person interviews, at least in my experience. 

On 1/20/2020 at 1:10 AM, Tuazeee said:

Here's some more data:

Georgia Tech Bioengineering sent me an early offer (mid Dec. 2019) and has invited me to a recruiting event March 5.

University of Michigan Biomedical Enigneering sent out invites for interviews dated Jan. 10. The event is Feb. 6.

Nothing from NC State/UNC Chapel Hill yet.

I got an invitation letter from Gatech Bioengineering, too. But I was wondering if it is an unoffical offer or the application status would be decided after the visiting on March? Did you have any interviews about this program at Gatech? Thanks for your answer!

On 2/11/2020 at 5:00 PM, BMEPHD2020 said:

Does anyone happen to know the recruitment/interview event dates for Northwestern BME?

Sorry, but if you didn't get an interview invitation you're probably going to get rejected. Interviews are next week at NU. (Insider information from a friend who participates in the recruitment events).

I was going through last year's thread, and found some very alarming things about UPenn.

Apparently they do not commit to making decisions by April 15th, and routinely break that deadline. Multiple people were very upset at that, and their lack of communication about the process, funding, hearing back after interviews, etc. Some even regretted applying all together, apparently having learned their lesson about overvaluing rankings.

That is all quite unsettling... Does anyone know if they've fixed their process? Or if there's anything I can do to avoid such pitfalls? (I am interviewing there mid March). 

10 hours ago, BME2020PHD said:

I was going through last year's thread, and found some very alarming things about UPenn.

Apparently they do not commit to making decisions by April 15th, and routinely break that deadline. Multiple people were very upset at that, and their lack of communication about the process, funding, hearing back after interviews, etc. Some even regretted applying all together, apparently having learned their lesson about overvaluing rankings.

That is all quite unsettling... Does anyone know if they've fixed their process? Or if there's anything I can do to avoid such pitfalls? (I am interviewing there mid March). 

Unfortunately, I was one of those unsettled interviewees. I attended their first interview weekend (Feb 13th to 15th) and did not hear back anything until first week of April. I had to reach out multiple times and the admissions chair told - "Although there was faculty interest, we do not have fellowships/funding to support you". This is more applicable to international students as I was not qualified for fellowships. Other friends of mine who are US citizens, received their admits about a week after the final interview weekend. It's rather sad that these top programs don't have fellowships in place to fund international students during first year of study.

On a side-note, try not to spend too much out-of-pocket during the visit. Their reimbursement process was a pain and I never received my ~$150 echeck. This year I got them to book Amtrak tickets instead of Driving and they're providing lyft credits for local travel. I guess that's an improvement :)

I'm interviewing again this year (starting today) and hoping that they've fixed these issues. Good luck to you!

Does anyone know if Georgia Tech BME accepts any students without interviews? 

I reached out to POI, and was told that GT already sent out interview invites to applicants in US, and that official acceptance letters will go out in mid March. 

and regarding international applicants he said this: "If applying from overseas, likely few if any have received letters yet.

So I was wondering if there are any international applicants here who had skype interview for GT BME?

9 hours ago, AtLeastOneAdmission said:

Does anyone know if Georgia Tech BME accepts any students without interviews? 

I reached out to POI, and was told that GT already sent out interview invites to applicants in US, and that official acceptance letters will go out in mid March. 

and regarding international applicants he said this: "If applying from overseas, likely few if any have received letters yet.

So I was wondering if there are any international applicants here who had skype interview for GT BME?

Actually I applied to GT BME. I got several skype interviews with POI and received the letter.

But I was wondering if your POI talked about anything else like the chance of admission about international applicant. Thanks a lot!

Edited by benxiaoheng534

47 minutes ago, benxiaoheng534 said:

Actually I applied to GT BME. I got several skype interviews with POI and received the letter.

But I was wondering if your POI talked about anything else like the chance of admission about international applicant. Thanks a lot!

Hi! Congrats! No, unfortunately he hasn't mentioned anything like that, I assume because he's not a member of admissions committee this year. 

Wondering if anyone knows anything new about Duke BME? Anyone get any new interview requests? I emailed the coordinator a few weeks ago and got told for interviews

"Once faculty identify candidates they’re interested in, they contact them to conduct skype or phone interviews. Then they may be invited to an campus visit for an interview. This process takes place starting in late December through early March." and

"We have set interview dates, however faculty will occasionally have recruits come on different dates if scheduling conflicts warrant it."

I see there's already a first round of acceptances, so was wondering if anyone would be willing to share how the interviews were/ who the professor was. I had a Skype conversation with my POI back in october, so I have no idea if that counts as the interview? Has been pretty radio silent from him so far.