Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering Applications for 2020 Admission

LHMQ

Anyone else get an invitation to transfer Berkeley BioE program to MTM or MEng if I don’t receive an interview for PhD program? I’m assuming this means I’m not getting an interview... ?

57 minutes ago, HopeforNeuroPhd said:

Hello. Where exactly have they mentioned about JHU interview dates on the website? Can't seem to find it anywhere. If they mean latest monday, do we expect the emails, today??

Hi. I have not found it either. And I think they mean we can still get invitations up until Monday, including that day. Fingers crossed. I'm so anxious.

3 minutes ago, Lbhm said:

Anyone else get an invitation to transfer Berkeley BioE program to MTM or MEng if I don’t receive an interview for PhD program? I’m assuming this means I’m not getting an interview... ?

Lmao yup I just got the same thing. I don't think it means much about who gets in or not but who knows at this point.

5 minutes ago, Lbhm said:

No interview invite for me either, am crying everytime ?

Edited by ChemEBear

11 minutes ago, Lbhm said:

I got this too... I'm not sure if it definitively means we are not getting an interview, but I suppose it could. 

3 hours ago, Cece333 said:

Hi. I have not found it either. And I think they mean we can still get invitations up until Monday, including that day. Fingers crossed. I'm so anxious.

Considering the past years they usually send by 16-17th Jan, max 18th. So I guess anytime , now

5 hours ago, Lbhm said:

I didn’t get that. Does anyone know whether they have finished sending invites? ? Same question for UW.

5 hours ago, Lbhm said:

I didn't get this either. Been dead silent on my end. Sorta expected though. Hope the other UCs will respond soon, along with USC. Good luck to all those out there. 

2 minutes ago, ydzhu said:

I didn't get this either. Been dead silent on my end. Sorta expected though. Hope the other UCs will respond soon, along with USC. Good luck to all those out there. 

I'm not sure! There seem to be many fewer people reporting interviews than in previous years (I count only two on the general results page). It might be that people are slow to add them on, or there might be more to come!

38 minutes ago, 5StarsDennisReynolds said:

I'm not sure! There seem to be many fewer people reporting interviews than in previous years (I count only two on the general results page). It might be that people are slow to add them on, or there might be more to come!

I really hope you are right but UCSF probably already sent out all their interview invites, and those like us who didn't get invites will get our rejection emails early next week. This also seems to be the trend for previous years.

49 minutes ago, Cece333 said:

Do you know anything from USC?

I haven’t heard anything. There seems to be a few informal interview invites on the results page, but I think I read someone say that they will send their official invites in February. 

UCB Ph.D Admission and Application

Recruitment/Interview Visits

The Program requires all finalists to attend a hosted visit to Berkeley/UCSF (international travelers excepted). For the Fall admissions cycle the visits will be February. The Program provides travel reimbursement, 2 nights of hotel accommodation and meals for this purpose. Information on the visits will be sent only to finalists in late January 2020.

17 hours ago, ChemEBear said:

I really hope you are right but UCSF probably already sent out all their interview invites, and those like us who didn't get invites will get our rejection emails early next week. This also seems to be the trend for previous years.

Perhaps! Looking at last year's results though, it seems that around 10 people uploaded their interview invitations, all within a few days of receiving them. It's certainly possible that all of this year's have been sent already (RIP), but it would seem a little strange that the number of successful GradCafe users is so much lower this year than last...

2 hours ago, 5StarsDennisReynolds said:

Perhaps! Looking at last year's results though, it seems that around 10 people uploaded their interview invitations, all within a few days of receiving them. It's certainly possible that all of this year's have been sent already (RIP), but it would seem a little strange that the number of successful GradCafe users is so much lower this year than last...

I agree the (much) lower number of successful GradCafe users reporting their results is strange, but the fact that they sent invitations to forward applications to the Masters program already tells me they have sent all the interview invites for PhD. ?

Edited by ChemEBear

On 1/17/2020 at 5:09 PM, HopeforNeuroPhd said:

Considering the past years they usually send by 16-17th Jan, max 18th. So I guess anytime , now

On 1/17/2020 at 1:55 PM, Cece333 said:

It is on the website, I just checked. (It's under the processing tab, subheading "Interview")

Considering the 1st was a Wednesday, this is almost the farthest away a 3rd Monday can get. But also they did extend their deadline due to technical issues for a few days, so I am currently thinking of the 20th as a soft deadline. I am also assuming none/not many have gone out yet, as JHU is a very popular program and there is bound to be some GradCafe users in the mix.

So maybe they will release over the weekend, or all on Monday, or sometime next week. I am keeping my hopes up, and wish you all the best of luck!

Anyone have any updates on UPenn?

Here is what I have gathered to be the process thus far:

Application committee reviewed all applications, made some kind of shortlist of applicants and sent that out to all faculty. Those faculty where instructed to Skype (pre-)interview their favorite candidates, and per the website about 15% will be invited to an onsite interview, where almost all will be extended offers.

Now from the results tab, I gather people have heard from some professors, had their sky pre-interview, and then? Have people started getting formal onsite interview invitations? 

Also what's with all the results tab reports of PIs NOT mentioned in statement reaching out? That seems odd at the very least.

Here's some more data:

Georgia Tech Bioengineering sent me an early offer (mid Dec. 2019) and has invited me to a recruiting event March 5.

University of Michigan Biomedical Enigneering sent out invites for interviews dated Jan. 10. The event is Feb. 6.

Nothing from NC State/UNC Chapel Hill yet.

16 minutes ago, AtLeastOneAdmission said:

If the recruitment date for UCLA is 2/6-2/7, shouldn't they send out their decisions/interviews this/next week?

I was wondering the same thing. I figured they've already sent out all their invites since this/next week would be really short notice; but then again, I live overseas and you are international. I wonder if there's a different protocol for us. Whichever the case, it's not over until it's over haha. Good luck.  

New user to gradcafe,

Feeling anxy so I decided to join this forum! Feels good to know that everyone seems to be on the same page

Info on UPenn (just confirming posts seen on this forum):

Had Skype interview with Upenn PI. He said that all profs were given access to applications. Among the applicants that profs like, profs were to report to the Penn BE Committee on their preferred candidates by Jan 17. As such, some students were Skype interviewed before this Jan 17 internal deadline. On-campus interviews for selected candidates should be out very soon accordingly.

Best of luck to everyone!