Am I crazy?

emdreaming

Hello! I’m not new to TGC, just created a new profile to protect the identity of my PI! 

So I would love some feedback. This will be my third cycle applying (woo). Last year I interviewed at two places, got accepted at one, and rejected at my dream school. I reached out to my PI for feedback and didn’t hear back for a few weeks so I was like ok I’ll just go to my backup school. Then! He emails me. I ignore it bc I’m like, I need to move on with my life. Then he emails again! So I’m like ok, I’ll respond. We have a chat on the phone, he says they accepted 2 students& I was number 3 (he didn’t accept a student). I tell him I accepted this offer from another school. He proposes I come work in his lab for a year, then reapply. He says he can’t guarantee anything, but would be shocked if I don’t get accepted. I tell him I can’t defer the other school. He’s like no pressure just putting it out there if you’re interested at all, please apply. So I apply. He accepts me, lets me make my own schedule, and offers me 50% more pay than I ask. I give up my position at the other school to come work in his lab. 

So now I’m working in his lab. I love it. But obviously still have to apply. Problem is, I legit don’t want to apply anywhere else. I’m geographically limited, and there are NO other programs in the area that have research overlaps. I could stretch to maybe one school, but it’s not really what I want to do/ it would be a tough argument to make in my SOP. 

So here’s the question: am I crazy to apply to ONE phd program? Is it absurd of me to trust him that much? He doesn’t owe me anything. A rockstar could apply. But I get along very well with everyone in the lab, I get along well with him, etc etc. I legit just have zero motivation to apply elsewhere. I love this lab and the work I’m doing and don’t want to settle. 

Additionally, I’ve been in contact with with the DCT at my dream school since I applied& we have good rapport and he’s been super helpful& responsive in some career planning stuff. 

Give it to me straight, TGC. 

I applied to two schools last cycle and the one was only because I got a waiver for applications. I was really only serious about my 1 application. I got interviewed and then I got wait listed. It sounds like you have a pretty good gig set up? You know what you want to do, you're obviously educated and professional, I don't think you're crazy. However I think it's always a risk to only apply to the one. And you'd be crazy if you ignored that there is a risk involved. 

It sounds like it would make the most sense for you to only apply to programs that you are serious about attending. Why apply to programs that you have no desire to attend and move to, and feel like are not a good fit. That would end up being money spent without any return for you.

I think it depends on whether you really want to attend THIS program or if you feel it is more important to attend any program and begin sooner (sort of weighing the short term and long term outcomes for you.)

The counselor in me would also say it is not crazy and seems both logical and high-risk but with some expected positive outcome attached to the risk. I am doing the same whenever I apply again. It is more important for me to have a good fit and meet my research goals rather than start sooner with a program that does not match. I think of PhD programs like marriage in that way. Why marry a program if I know it won't be a good fit for me?

1 hour ago, Schy said:

I applied to two schools last cycle and the one was only because I got a waiver for applications. I was really only serious about my 1 application. I got interviewed and then I got wait listed. It sounds like you have a pretty good gig set up? You know what you want to do, you're obviously educated and professional, I don't think you're crazy. However I think it's always a risk to only apply to the one. And you'd be crazy if you ignored that there is a risk involved. 

Thanks, it is a pretty good gig and I feel fortunate. I definitely acknowledge the risk and realize I’m putting a lot of faith on one person who doesn’t owe me anything. Appreciate your response.

16 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

It sounds like it would make the most sense for you to only apply to programs that you are serious about attending. Why apply to programs that you have no desire to attend and move to, and feel like are not a good fit. That would end up being money spent without any return for you.

I think it depends on whether you really want to attend THIS program or if you feel it is more important to attend any program and begin sooner (sort of weighing the short term and long term outcomes for you.)

The counselor in me would also say it is not crazy and seems both logical and high-risk but with some expected positive outcome attached to the risk. I am doing the same whenever I apply again. It is more important for me to have a good fit and meet my research goals rather than start sooner with a program that does not match. I think of PhD programs like marriage in that way. Why marry a program if I know it won't be a good fit for me?

Thanks. That’s exactly how I feel and it is so much time and effort and I just want to go someplace I love. I appreciate the feedback and I feel like yes it’s logical and high risk, and that’s a good way to put it!! 

2 hours ago, JoePianist said:

Unless there’s a contracted agreement in writing for your acceptance at this dream program, never place all your eggs in one basket. You need to apply to a few more.

1 hour ago, PsyDGrad90 said:

I think the thing you need to ask yourself is this: if you only apply to this program and don't get accepted, then what? How would you feel emotionally? What would be your next step? 

These are both really valid points/ thoughts. Thank you for the perspective. 

It sounds like you have a really great chance where you are; however, I would still suggest you apply to at least a few other places. I would also make sure your PI knows (when you ask him for recommendation letters) that you most want to stay in your current lab and that you are passionate about psychology and want to make sure you pursue a PhD in a great lab, so you think it is most prudent to apply to a few just in case.

My main concerns would be these: 1) What if your PI takes someone else. You might feel weird about it, sad, regretful, maybe even resentful... or just... awkward... then it might be pretty uncomfortable to remain as an RA in the lab. 2) What if your PI isn't taking ANYONE? Is it 100% up to the PI? Sometimes they are not at the top of the list for new students or something happens within the department to change things. 

I know applications aren't cheap, but think of the applications as buying an insurance policy on your future. Also, maybe you will interview somewhere else and love that place? Who knows?

• 3 months later...