MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

5 minutes ago, MSWSTRESS said:

Here is the link with all the info on it for graduate students: https://www.bc.edu/content/bc-web/offices/student-services/financial-aid/graduate/applying-for-aid.html the representative said to start with the "Getting Started" Tab and follow those instructions,  according to the website financial aid packages will be available in April

ohh wait I think I did IRS data retrieval on my FASFA so i don't have to send over those documents, did you select that on yours?

2 minutes ago, Polcc said:

oooh okay, yeah I saw that in the admitted students info BUT it said after deposit which is confusing. I just sent over my form to them actually. Thank you for that info, I'm looking at it now and see the tax stuff.  I asked for a time frame so I will let you know when I hear back! April seems rlly late

Thanks!! Yeah April is too late. Yeah this is why I want to pay my deposit quickly so I can start getting the information I need but I just want to see about BU first, before I do anything even though I know I'm going to accept BC unless BU really gives me a full ride?

1 minute ago, Polcc said:

ohh wait I think I did IRS data retrieval on my FASFA so i don't have to send over those documents, did you select that on yours?

I did do that and I told the representative that I used the IRS date retrieval but she said that they still require a hard copy , and to send the Supplemental Form to the address on the form 

2 minutes ago, Polcc said:

And she also told me that they processed my FAFSA in January but I submitted FAFSA in October like maybe 5 days after it opened up

2 minutes ago, MSWSTRESS said:

Thanks!! Yeah April is too late. Yeah this is why I want to pay my deposit quickly so I can start getting the information I need but I just want to see about BU first, before I do anything even though I know I'm going to accept BC unless BU really gives me a full ride?

lol same I already have my mind set on BC so unless something wild happens with BU aid but I doubt it! Oh okay, I'll just submit it anyway rather be safe tbh. I did my FASFA around the same time as you did

Just now, Polcc said:

lol same I already have my mind set on BC so unless something wild happens with BU aid but I doubt it! Oh okay, I'll just submit it anyway rather be safe tbh. I did my FASFA around the same time as you did

Lol I guess we'll wait and see what BU says but yeah I am just going to follow what the website says because I literally can't afford for something to go wrong with my financial aid lol

2 hours ago, ABCMSW said:

Hi there everyone! Jumping in to see if anyone who has been accepted to UChicago has received a financial aid package yet? The scholarships I know are in the acceptance letter but I am still waiting on the package with grants, work-study, etc. Thanks!

I'm still waiting, going nuts but waiting

52 minutes ago, SMLDC said:

Got it. That's still a great award, though not as likely to tip the scales in terms of cost vs. other schools. If you do choose Philly, you will love it there. It's a wonderful, vibrant, oft-underappreciated city. I live in DC but visit Philly often.

That is great to hear, thank you! I currently live in Oakland, CA and have been told if I love it here I will love Philly. 

On 2/9/2020 at 5:02 PM, BrendonSW said:

If you did not receive a decent financial aid package from U-Michigan, I highly recommend asking for a financial aid re-review. I got my MSW from UM and I was initially offered $3,000/semester. I could not justify attending, so I reached out to Tim Colenback to see if there was a way to receive more aid. He told me about a re-review process and sent me the details via email. I had to fill out a worksheet with my info and how much additional aid I needed, and I also had to submit an essay (around 5-6 pages, I believe). I applied for the re-review in April and heard back in late May or early June. 

The re-review is kept very quiet. They don’t publicize it on their website which is a barrier for many folks and a form of gatekeeping. I highly recommend reaching out to Tim directly and inquiring about the re-review. I was able to receive around $7,000 more each semester than what I was initially awarded. No guarantees you’ll receive more aid, but it is worth a try. Many students will decline their offers which means more money will open up. 

This is so helpful, thank you! I likely won't end up going (UDenver is my second choice, and I've been accepted with a scholarship whereas UMich has given me nothing), but I know it could be helpful to other attendees, since their being quiet about it is a huge barrier, like you said... :) 

1 hour ago, MSWSTRESS said:

Thank you! I didn't get an email from them even in the beginning when I submitted my application when decisions would be made,  I only got an email that it was submitted. But if it is this Friday or next Tuesday,  I can wait a little bit longer then, I thought it was going to be closer to the end of the month when BC wanted to know. Thanks again !!

You're so welcome!!! I would definitely call/ email to confirm about your application status (just to be safe since you never got an email) and make sure that they tell you the same dates for a decision notification as they told me! 

Y'all I just gotta say...now that I know I've been accepted to University of Denver and University of Michigan, and am not expecting to hear back from Washington anytime soon...the stress level has dropped substantially!!! I'm not consistently checking my email anymore, and my best friend (bless her heart) is finally getting a break from me talking about grad school. I've even stopped checking the forum obsessively!

That all being said, UW not sending out decisions until late March is frustrating (my boss sent out an intention survey for the summer that's due 2/21 and I have no idea how to answer since so much is up in the air right now) but there's nothing I can do right now except wait. 

Best of luck to those who are waiting for an answer any day now, and congrats to anyone who has received an acceptance! We're in this wait together...

17 hours ago, NicoleDes said:

Did you guys find out about scholarship info. in your admissions letter on the portal from CU? 

No, check your spam folder. I dont know why but everyones financial aid letters from Columbia are going to spam. 

40 minutes ago, NicoleDes said:

You're so welcome!!! I would definitely call/ email to confirm about your application status (just to be safe since you never got an email) and make sure that they tell you the same dates for a decision notification as they told me! 

Yeah I'm going to try and do that before the end of the day, thanks again!

3 minutes ago, Idk20~ said:

Anyone hear from UT Austin? 

I reached out to the admissions coordinator! She emailed back today and said it would be between 10 and 12 weeks (?) from the January deadline.

4 hours ago, JuliaFrances said:

Absolutely, unless Columbia offers me significantly more money than Penn, I want to move to Philadelphia. Their program allows me to do direct work in prisons from the get go, and I like that they have you do your field placement 3 days a week, most programs only require 2. 

I think Penn will allow me to graduate with more confidence in my professional skill than the other programs I applied to. 

I also want to work directly in prisons! The GRI at Penn was such a big selling point for me. 

Edited by megan715

2 minutes ago, simonsays said:

Just got my scholarship from Columbia! It's 1k more than NYU, so still a tough decision! 

I still haven't heard back, I think I'm nearly insane. Did you get an email with a status update or did you just check your application status page? (I'm probably going to obsessively refresh both either way)