On 1/5/2020 at 3:12 PM, MGA87 said:

How is everyone doing with interview invites and managing anxiety? Are you hearing from your schools of interest?

I have received two interview invites (01/16 and 01/24) and one rejection. I am still waiting to hear from six other schools, including my top choice. I go running when the stress feels unmanageable and that usually calms me down. I've gotten a lot of extra miles in since applications were due! 

On 1/7/2020 at 11:54 AM, Ginger0211 said:

I have received two interview invites (01/16 and 01/24) and one rejection. I am still waiting to hear from six other schools, including my top choice. I go running when the stress feels unmanageable and that usually calms me down. I've gotten a lot of extra miles in since applications were due! 

I second running during times of stress! It helps ease my anxiety SO much. 

On 12/29/2019 at 4:46 PM, stressedyetblessed said:

Has anyone received an invite for the University of Oregon PhD??? I am currently a Central Michigan University MA student but want to switch over to the doctoral program. I saw that one person indicated they received an interview invite 4 days after the application process. However, in the last 6 years or so, they have sent invites beginning of January. Do people ever lie on here? They were applying for the masters program, but the PhD and MA invites and rejections/acceptances have typically been the same time on here. I am just anxiously waiting for an email or SOMETHINGGG. The dash board does not say anything either -- it just indicates "pending" for department decision. Help please :(

I received an invite for this program back on 12/20, but wasn’t the person who posted about it. Maybe reach out to them to check and see?

On 12/16/2019 at 3:34 PM, am04334 said:

I have received interview invites to University of Tennessee Knoxville, University of Kentucky, and University of Missouri! Still waiting to hear from Northern Arizona University.... anyone else apply there?

I have now reached the point during the application process where I am obsessively checking my email multiple times a day.... 

Have you received an update from NAU? I believe they sent invites out around this time last year so I was hoping to hear something Friday, but no such luck!

Does anyone have any experience with school psych interviews for PhD programs? I know for clinical psych interviews they are generally very focused on research. Is that the same for school psych? Or is it more experience and education based? I want to start preparing for interviews and was wondering what I should be focused on. Currently my plan is to look into the research of the professors that I will be meeting with and also doing a more detailed look into the program and school itself. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!! 

21 hours ago, Ginger0211 said:

Have you received an update from NAU? I believe they sent invites out around this time last year so I was hoping to hear something Friday, but no such luck!

Nothing yet! The only thing I found for previous years was Jan 11th and Jan 12th but, if I recall correctly, those were for a few years ago. I think that NAU's classes started back today so I am thinking that this week would be the week.... *fingers crossed*! I will post here if I hear anything. Hope you would do the same! 

19 hours ago, StudiestStudy said:

Does anyone have any experience with school psych interviews for PhD programs? I know for clinical psych interviews they are generally very focused on research. Is that the same for school psych? Or is it more experience and education based? I want to start preparing for interviews and was wondering what I should be focused on. Currently my plan is to look into the research of the professors that I will be meeting with and also doing a more detailed look into the program and school itself. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!! 

If you know who you're interviewing with ahead of time I'd look up their general research interests and maybe read their most recent stuff but I don't think they expect you to know much about people other than the faculty you want to work under.  I think it's mostly experience based, clinical, research, teaching, etc.  Definitely know how to describe your research interests and career aspirations. 

What is everyone wearing for their interviews? My colleagues who applied to clinical programs are wearing full suits. I was thinking of wearing dress pants with a nice blouse and "cropped blazer look-a-like", but now I'm thinking that won't be formal enough? I would love to hear everyone else's plans!

28 minutes ago, KaMB said:

What is everyone wearing for their interviews? My colleagues who applied to clinical programs are wearing full suits. I was thinking of wearing dress pants with a nice blouse and "cropped blazer look-a-like", but now I'm thinking that won't be formal enough? I would love to hear everyone else's plans!

A lot of people in my interviews had full black pants-suit set; however, I chose to wear a stretchy grey blazer with black slacks and a nice, but comfortable, shirt underneath. I def. think a blazer is good but your "cropped blazer look-a-like" seems like it would do the trick! School Psych programs are a little less boujee than clinical programs in my experience. Just be professional but definitely comfortable! 

Edited by am04334

33 minutes ago, KaMB said:

I’m wearing dress pants, a nice shirt, and a more casual styled blazer. It’s professional enough that I would wear it to work when I have an important court hearing but comfortable and moveable incase we are walking a lot. I’m going to wear flat dress shoes so my feet don’t hurt and I don’t face plant trying to walk on heels. I’m debating on how to do my hair though. I’m going to get it cut this weekend so it is neater. My hair is long, thick, and wavy.  I normally wear it down but it can be a little out of control unless I really straighten it. I don’t mind getting up early to fully straighten it but some interviews I’m driving to on the day of so I’m worried it’ll get ruined in the car. When I put it in a bun my little wisps are all over the place. How are y’all wearing your hair? 

On 1/12/2020 at 8:28 PM, StudiestStudy said:

I did a year in a School Psych doc program a few years ago and when I interviewed, questions were mostly focused on career goals, practical experience in education (I had been a teacher, so they may have targeted those questions given my experience), and what I would look for out of a dissertation committee. Honestly, the bulk of the questions were casual (e.g. "What are you reading right now?") and I got ~6 min with each professor. I will say that when I helped with interview weekend for the next cohort, though, questions were more intense. They had a large focus on social justice, so they decided to crack down on those questions and included questions like, "How would you describe your racial identity?" and "How do you confront racism?".

14 minutes ago, Ginger0211 said:

I received an email this morning from University of Northern Colorado inviting me to the Admissions Workshop on 02/24. This is my top choice so I am ecstatic!

So happy to hear! I also got an interview on that day so I will see you there :)

I'm apply to GVSU and Wayne State. Haven't heard anything from GVSU yet, but Wayne State invited me for an interview next month. Obviously I'm very excited about the interview, but I'm also a bit confused. My application for Wayne State is half finished and right now they only have my transcripts, GRE, and letters of recommendation, but they still called to set up an interview. Is this something that happens often? The application deadline isn't for another two weeks.

Do people ever opt for the Skype interview and actually get in? I received an invite today for an interview on 01/31 at Northern Arizona. I am really interested in the program, but the logistics of getting to and from Flagstaff quickly are quite complicated since there is not an airport within 2 hours. I will likely work it out so that I can attend in person, but I wanted to hear others experiences with online interviews!

Hi everyone! I have received an interview invite from University of Washington(1/9). But I can't come so I will be interviewing through Zoom conference.

Does anyone have any experience with school psych interview for Ed.S programs?  What kind of questions are expected? Any experience with interviewing for U Washington/online interview? I am worried about running into intense questions tbh.

Any tip or suggestion would be greatly appreciated! 

13 hours ago, Ginger0211 said:

Do people ever opt for the Skype interview and actually get in? I received an invite today for an interview on 01/31 at Northern Arizona. I am really interested in the program, but the logistics of getting to and from Flagstaff quickly are quite complicated since there is not an airport within 2 hours. I will likely work it out so that I can attend in person, but I wanted to hear others experiences with online interviews!

Hey, I opted for on online interview this year, but haven't interviewed yet. I could not make it because as an international student I can't get a visa before the interview day. However, I asked my friend who is in a clinical psych phd program and she said that online interview should work as effective as face to face interview. Technically, the admission committee should not jump into the conclusion that you are not interested in this program just because you could not come to the interview. This is what I heard, hopefully someone with real Skype interview experience can answer you question too! 

Edited by Flora_Cao
add some details

On 12/16/2019 at 1:01 PM, notthriving said:

Hi everyone! This is my first time applying to PhD programs. I am applying to both clinical and school psychology programs. I applied to the following school psychology PhD programs: 

• University of Wisconsin-Madison 
  • Michigan State University 
  • University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill 
  • University of Nebraska-Lincoln 
  • University of Virginia (combined school/clinical program)

So far, I have received interview invites from the University of Wisconsin and the University of Nebraska! 

Good luck everyone!!!

Hi! For Wisconsin, did you apply for PhD or EdS?

Thanks!

Edited by kneum15

On 1/19/2020 at 6:51 PM, Ginger0211 said:

Hello! I also heard from NAU and am a little disappointed in the late notice that they gave! There is an airport in Flagstaff (FLG). I too am wondering about the skype interview since the notification email said "we believe it is mutually advantageous to take part in the in-person interview day if it is feasible for you" .... I'm scrambling to get my affairs in order to make it! I plan on having an online interview for another program... I agree with @Flora_Cao in that the school can't hold it against you and doesn't necessarily weigh whether or not you had an in-person or online interview. I personally want to be able to "interview" the school as well as see the location.... it's a lot to get together in 10 days!

46 minutes ago, am04334 said:

Hello! I also heard from NAU and am a little disappointed in the late notice that they gave! There is an airport in Flagstaff (FLG). I too am wondering about the skype interview since the notification email said "we believe it is mutually advantageous to take part in the in-person interview day if it is feasible for you" .... I'm scrambling to get my affairs in order to make it! I plan on having an online interview for another program... I agree with @Flora_Cao in that the school can't hold it against you and doesn't necessarily weigh whether or not you had an in-person or online interview. I personally want to be able to "interview" the school as well as see the location.... it's a lot to get together in 10 days!

I’m glad you heard from them as well! I am flying into Phoenix and then will be driving to Flag. Not ideal, but I had Southwest miles so I am thankful. It’s good to know there is an airport there. I don’t know why that option didn’t display when I was looking on Google.