Spanish 2020

SlyManuel

On 1/27/2020 at 10:51 PM, Vivian2020 said:

Hey, guys! I got into the PhD program in Spanish at the University of Virginia. They are offering me a really competitive admission package (five years funding plus an interdisciplinary fellowship related to my research interests). I have some doubts about living in Charlottesville, though. If any of you have visited or know anything helpful about UVA and living in this part of Virginia, please let me know. In the meantime, I have an interview with Emory this week (which is one of my top programs) and have been unofficially admitted into the Hispanic Studies program at the University of Houston. Still waiting to hear from Northwestern (also one of my top choices), and a few other universities. 

Hope everyone receives good news soon!!

@Vivian2020, how did the interview with Emory go?

For anyone applying to UT, I know one of the professors that reviews applications and I emailed him to ask about when should we expect to hear back and received the following response:

"I totally enjoyed reading your file, and ranked it high. From there, things go over my level of involvement, but the next phase from our end is to find out how many students we have the budget and capacity to accept.  Some years it is just 3-4 other years it is 5-7.  That really affects things.  It may be, for example, that we have 10 highly ranked candidates, but only 4 positions to offer. It then becomes a two-sided game of who do we accept and who accepts us (because many students apply to multiple schools and may or may not want to come to UT in the end).

All that to say that we are still early in the game, and I wouldn’t expect decisions to be made for a few weeks yet.  I’ll try to talk to Laura to see if she has a better sense of the actual dates."

Will post again if I hear anything else. ¡Buena suerte a todxs! :) 

On 1/28/2020 at 12:33 PM, coffeeortea said:

I also got into UVA with the same package! I'm not sure about living in Charlottesville either.

I was contacted yesterday by Yale for an interview, and Stanford for a campus visit/interview. I was also accepted to Cornell yesterday, which I'm very excited about! I wasn't expecting to hear so soon from any of them. 

Hi, congratulations! I was accepted to Cornell as well. Do you plan for the campus visit?

20 hours ago, coffeeortea said:

Congrats!! Yes, I’m planning to visit! Are you?

Cool, then enjoy your trip!

I would love to! But unfortunately, I don't think I can catch up with the official campus visit week as a Chinese national (and I currently live in China), as it has been declared that "foreign nationals who have traveled to China in the last two weeks are temporarily banned from entering the US" in view of the spread of new coronavirus.  I will check if there is any opportunity that I can travel later when the health situation gets better. 

On 2/2/2020 at 9:53 AM, Vivian2020 said:

¡Hola! I saw someone was accepted to Northwestern. Congrats! Has anyone else heard from them?

Hi! No, I haven't heard from them either. I don't know if they're sending some of the acceptances or that's all. I have that same situation with another university.

On the other hand, I got accepted to UNC Chapel Hill, U Oregon and Washington University in St. Louis.

On 2/2/2020 at 12:14 PM, Cafeau said:

Hi! No, I haven't heard from them either. I don't know if they're sending some of the acceptances or that's all. I have that same situation with another university.

On the other hand, I got accepted to UNC Chapel Hill, U Oregon and Washington University in St. Louis.

@Cafeau, when did you hear back from WashU? Congrats!

Hey guys I thought I’d join this thread to share some information.

I am an international applicant applying for Hispanic linguistics Phd programs.

I got acceptances from UIC and Georgetown, and is waiting for five others.
Have you guys received any notice from UCLA, UIUC, or Penn State?

57 minutes ago, span59 said:

Hey guys I thought I’d join this thread to share some information.

I am an international applicant applying for Hispanic linguistics Phd programs.

I got acceptances from UIC and Georgetown, and is waiting for five others.
Have you guys received any notice from UCLA, UIUC, or Penn State?

Hola :) May I ask when you heard back from UIC? I have not heard back from them yet and I am starting to freak out a bit. Hopefully you hear back from others soon!

On 2/3/2020 at 2:39 PM, latristefigura said:

Just got rejected by University of Michigan. Also didn't receive an interview from Columbia so that's likely a rejection too. Waiting on University of Chicago and Brown, but not feeling too optimistic...

Did you receive an interview invite from Brown?

Guys-- I just checked my spam folder on gmail because I was bored and procrastinating, and turns out my offer of admission from UC Davis had been sent to spam. It was sent on Saturday and I just now saw it! I couldn't believe it. Here's your reminder to check your spam mailboxes! 

Congrats to all of those who have received acceptances thus far. As for me, I just found out that I am waitlisted at UVA, my POI assured me that I am high on the list so I am excited about that. I have an interview with Temple tomorrow through Skype which I am very confused about since they said it would only be 10-15 minutes, still excited about tho. 

P.S. good luck to those taking MA exams soon.