Spanish 2020

SlyManuel

On 2/9/2020 at 8:36 AM, senorbrightside said:

Just checked Colorado's web site and...a third rejection. As I only applied to three schools...I officially did not get in anywhere. 

I want to curl up and cry, but I still have reading to do, discussion questions to prepare and the class I teach to prepare so...I'm now freaked out that I will be unemployed and homeless once I'm finished with the M.A. now :(

I worked SO hard for this and had the door slam shut on me.

And I also am wondering if committees remember people from previous years, like if I apply to the same schools with an improved application (not my M.A. institution though, but the other two) next year if they will remember "oh yeah we rejected him last year" and just toss it aside.

Take one thing at a time. 

If you still want to spend 5-6 years of your life working on a doctorate, apply next year. And apply to as many programs as you possibly can. I am planning to apply to 11 doctoral programs this coming fall. Hopefully, 2 or 3 will accept me. It is horribly competitive and political. One can be an excellent researcher and bring an impressive background to a program, but that will still not get you in. More often than not, an admissions committee only has two or three spots; meanwhile, they have 30 or 50 good applicants for those spots from many countries. Imagine, making a decision! 

In the meantime, I hope you can get a job when you finish your master's. You might like to check on employment websites like this one: https://www.higheredjobs.com/faculty/search.cfm?JobCat=157

Hi guys. I saw someone posted on being accepted to NYU. Congratulations!
If you happen to see my post, would you mind sharing more details? Do you receive the offer from DGS or someone else? I was interviewed, and anxious to know the result. Thank you!

On 2/8/2020 at 12:55 PM, mariposa16 said:

Thank you! I didn’t have an interview, just received an offer from AG and later last night a “change to your app status” email. What is your research focus? 

Hey! After having an interview on Monday with Tulane, yesterday they sent me an admission offer!! My research focus is the representation of the psychological impact of migration in contemporary Caribbean and US Latino literature, what is yours? Are you planning to visit the school? 

On 2/13/2020 at 5:28 PM, Ciboney said:

Take one thing at a time. 

If you still want to spend 5-6 years of your life working on a doctorate, apply next year. And apply to as many programs as you possibly can. I am planning to apply to 11 doctoral programs this coming fall. Hopefully, 2 or 3 will accept me. It is horribly competitive and political. One can be an excellent researcher and bring an impressive background to a program, but that will still not get you in. More often than not, an admissions committee only has two or three spots; meanwhile, they have 30 or 50 good applicants for those spots from many countries. Imagine, making a decision! 

In the meantime, I hope you can get a job when you finish your master's. You might like to check on employment websites like this one: https://www.higheredjobs.com/faculty/search.cfm?JobCat=157

Thanks for your advice and the link! I'll keep checking it out. 

Got the rejection I was expecting from Georgetown yesterday. Still no word from my others. @span59 did you hear from Illinois? I noticed people have posted an acceptance and a rejection in the last couple of days so I’m assuming I’m waitlisted at this point (I just wish they would tell me this). 

Edited by keating5

5 hours ago, Vivian2020 said:

Hey! After having an interview on Monday with Tulane, yesterday they sent me an admission offer!! My research focus is the representation of the psychological impact of migration in contemporary Caribbean and US Latino literature, what is yours? Are you planning to visit the school? 

CONGRATULATIONS! That's sounds really interesting! I'm interested in mourning, memory, and trauma in Colombia and how these themes appear in cultural production. I am thinking about visiting...I live in Colombia, so I'm not sure if I can swing it with the budget they provide. I'm waiting to hear from UT-Austin. If I'm accepted there, then I'll have to check out both schools and do visits. Are you waiting on any other decisions?

2 hours ago, mariposa16 said:

CONGRATULATIONS! That's sounds really interesting! I'm interested in mourning, memory, and trauma in Colombia and how these themes appear in cultural production. I am thinking about visiting...I live in Colombia, so I'm not sure if I can swing it with the budget they provide. I'm waiting to hear from UT-Austin. If I'm accepted there, then I'll have to check out both schools and do visits. Are you waiting on any other decisions?

Thank you so much!! Mourning, memory and trauma are such interesting topics! I am actually interested in these themes too, and would love to do comparative work with Caribbean and Latin American lit. I am on the same boat when it comes to visiting. I live in Peru, so traveling to the US requires planning and a considerable budget. I will be visiting UVA the first week of March, but they are covering all my expenses. I am still waiting to hear from Northwestern, Pittsburgh and Vanderbilt. UT-Austin is a great program, wish you the best of luck with them!!

Edited by Vivian2020

10 hours ago, keating5 said:

Got the rejection I was expecting from Georgetown yesterday. Still no word from my others. @span59 did you hear from Illinois? I noticed people have posted an acceptance and a rejection in the last couple of days so I’m assuming I’m waitlisted at this point (I just wish they would tell me this). 

Nope neither have I. I was assuming that I was waitlisted too. Maybe I will try writing them since they seem to have made up their decisions already.

12 hours ago, span59 said:

Nope neither have I. I was assuming that I was waitlisted too. Maybe I will try writing them since they seem to have made up their decisions already.

Interesting. I’m probably going to wait another week or two and then contact them. If you do contact them, would you mind letting me know what they say? 

47 minutes ago, mariposa16 said:

Hey everyone!! Just heard from UT-Austin...I’ve been waitlisted, but I’m still feeling positive! Anyone else hear news? Or better yet....anyone accepted but already planning not to accept the offer?? ?

What program did you applied for? I haven't heard from them yet...

Good luck!

Just now, mariposa16 said:

For the Iberian and Latin American languages and cultures PhD program. You? 

I applied to the same program but I haven't heard back yet. I guess they're updating applicants gradually. If I have any news, I'll let you know. Thanks a lot!

On 2/16/2020 at 11:56 PM, keating5 said:

Interesting. I’m probably going to wait another week or two and then contact them. If you do contact them, would you mind letting me know what they say? 

They seem to be giving out some offers this week. I suggest you give them time this week but if you still don't receive anything from them try contacting them next week.

19 minutes ago, span59 said:

They seem to be giving out some offers this week. I suggest you give them time this week but if you still don't receive anything from them try contacting them next week.

Part of me is definitely hoping they haven't sent out all of the offers since only rejections for the PhD have been posted and acceptances for the MA. But I'm aware I could also be fooling myself. I also have no idea when my other school will come in since there's no historical pattern with their results. This is all good practice for future applications for funding, jobs and waiting for results I suppose (I'm just impatient lol). 

59 minutes ago, keating5 said:

Part of me is definitely hoping they haven't sent out all of the offers since only rejections for the PhD have been posted and acceptances for the MA. But I'm aware I could also be fooling myself. I also have no idea when my other school will come in since there's no historical pattern with their results. This is all good practice for future applications for funding, jobs and waiting for results I suppose (I'm just impatient lol). 

Don't worry everything will turn out just fine! :)

On 2/17/2020 at 12:20 PM, mariposa16 said:

For the Iberian and Latin American languages and cultures PhD program. You? 

Are you pursuing the Linguistic or the Literature track? I applied to same program (Linguistics track), but have not heard back yet. I emailed the program coordinator last week and she told me that they would have an answer by early to mid March so I guess she lied... Anyways, congrats to you! I got into my master's program off the waitlist so there's definitely hope :)

40 minutes ago, Ms. Ana said:

Are you pursuing the Linguistic or the Literature track? I applied to same program (Linguistics track), but have not heard back yet. I emailed the program coordinator last week and she told me that they would have an answer by early to mid March so I guess she lied... Anyways, congrats to you! I got into my master's program off the waitlist so there's definitely hope :)

I applied to the literature track and I'm also on the waiting list, but I didn't get a number in the list (I don't know how many people are waiting and I haven't heard from any accepted candidates).