Spanish 2020

SlyManuel

1 hour ago, Vivian2020 said:

Congrats!! Yesterday I got an email from the DGS saying I was among the finalists and I have an interview on Monday. Did you have an interview with them? 

Thank you! I didn’t have an interview, just received an offer from AG and later last night a “change to your app status” email. What is your research focus? 

3 hours ago, keating5 said:

I applied for the linguistics track but at U of Arizona not at ASU. I also looked at ASU and that looked like another great program - I almost applied to both but funds meant I could only to one and I felt I would be a slightly better felt at U of Arizona. I’m sure you’ll be hearing good news from them soon @Ms. Ana

Also - thanks for that info. Arizona and Illinois are my top two choices out of the four I’ve applied to. I always felt Georgetown was a bit of a reach. Not so sure about OSU - there’s no pattern in the results history about when they release decisions. Just wait and see. 

Congrats! I am a MA student at the UofA, let me know if you have any questions.

Ive been accepted at UMichigan, Wisconsin-Madison and UofA as well as. I am super happy. I havent heard from NYU or Pittsburgh yet, so I guess I didnt get into those ones.

6 hours ago, mariposa16 said:

UT-Austin Applicants: I just saw a change in my MyStatus portal...a notification at the top that it has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review. This is the first time I've noticed the notification. Any applicants receiving news or interviews?

My status has been that same one for like a month now. I talked to one of the professors last week and he said that we should be receiving news either this week or the next. Hopefully we'll hear positive news soon! :)

29 minutes ago, Ms. Ana said:

My status has been that same one for like a month now. I talked to one of the professors last week and he said that we should be receiving news either this week or the next. Hopefully we'll hear positive news soon! :)

Awesome! Thanks for sharing ? fingers crossed!

Just checked Colorado's web site and...a third rejection. As I only applied to three schools...I officially did not get in anywhere. 

I want to curl up and cry, but I still have reading to do, discussion questions to prepare and the class I teach to prepare so...I'm now freaked out that I will be unemployed and homeless once I'm finished with the M.A. now :(

I worked SO hard for this and had the door slam shut on me.

And I also am wondering if committees remember people from previous years, like if I apply to the same schools with an improved application (not my M.A. institution though, but the other two) next year if they will remember "oh yeah we rejected him last year" and just toss it aside.

4 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

Just checked Colorado's web site and...a third rejection. As I only applied to three schools...I officially did not get in anywhere. 

I want to curl up and cry, but I still have reading to do, discussion questions to prepare and the class I teach to prepare so...I'm now freaked out that I will be unemployed and homeless once I'm finished with the M.A. now :(

And I also am wondering if committees remember people from previous years, like if I apply to the same schools with an improved application (not my M.A. institution though, but the other two) next year if they will remember "oh yeah we rejected him last year" and just toss it aside.

I am so sorry to hear that. ?

Have you thought about applying for a Fulbright? 

And no, I dont think they wouldnt read your application just because you have applied before. 

22 hours ago, guimaraes said:

I am so sorry to hear that. ?

Have you thought about applying for a Fulbright? 

And no, I dont think they wouldnt read your application just because you have applied before. 

On 2/9/2020 at 10:36 AM, senorbrightside said:

my heart goes out to you! sending you strength via the internet!

I also wanted to add that Fulbright would be a great option. I did Fulbright for a couple of years, and it was a great experience. Plus, it helps your future applications! Since you already have your masters and some teaching experience from what I can see, you'd be a great candidate. Try to be strategic about the country. Spain for example is highly competitive, so look at countries that have a higher acceptance rate. Brazil would be a great option and might give future applications a new edge. Good luck!

Thanks for the recommendation of Fullbright, as that had never crossed my mind! It looks like the deadline has already passed for this year, but it is something to consider for the future. 

Spain would be my first choice though as a peninsularista :P But I would love the opportunity to see South America as Transatlanticism also helps applications. Gracias por la recomendación. 

15 hours ago, Cafeau said:

Hello! Has someone heard back from Northwestern? I saw a post from someone that claimed that was accepted on February 1st, but I haven't got any news.

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Hey! I haven't heard back from them either. Not sure if they already sent out admission offers or if they are still in the process of selecting the candidates. Have not heard of any rejections yet, so hopefully there is still time. 

15 hours ago, Cafeau said:

Hello! Has someone heard back from Northwestern? I saw a post from someone that claimed that was accepted on February 1st, but I haven't got any news.

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Hello, I'm new in this thread. Yes, I heard from Northwestern. I was accepted on late January, but I was not the one who posted. I don't know anything else besides that.

Good luck to everyone.

Just got the official rejection from Emory today... sucks. 

However, I got invited to attend the recruitment event at UVA the first week of March. Anyone else going? DO you have more information? All I was told was that everything would be covered but nothing else. When I visited my current institution they sent me a full schedule with the invitation. 

1 hour ago, SlyManuel said:

However, I got invited to attend the recruitment event at UVA the first week of March. Anyone else going? DO you have more information? All I was told was that everything would be covered but nothing else. When I visited my current institution they sent me a full schedule with the invitation. 

Hi! I also got invited but unfortunately couldn't make the dates work because they directly overlap with Stanford's interviews. I'll be visiting UVA on an alternate date in late Feb. I'm sure that she'll send you more info about the recruitment event as it draws nearer, but if she doesn't you could always send an email requesting more details/a schedule. For what it's worth, at Princeton's interview/campus visits, we didn't get a full schedule until we physically arrived to campus (which was nerve-wracking!) but it all worked out okay. 

2 hours ago, SlyManuel said:

Hey, there! I got the official rejection from Emory today as well, but I am trying to focus all my energy on those schools that have sent admission offers or reached out for interviews. I will also be attending the recruitment event at UVA! We are kind of on the same page here ? 

The DGS told me that they have prepared a series of classes, talks and meetings for the candidates. They are flying me all the way from Lima, Peru! It should be an interesting couple of days. 

Edited by Vivian2020

1 hour ago, coffeeortea said:

Hi! I also got invited but unfortunately couldn't make the dates work because they directly overlap with Stanford's interviews. I'll be visiting UVA on an alternate date in late Feb. I'm sure that she'll send you more info about the recruitment event as it draws nearer, but if she doesn't you could always send an email requesting more details/a schedule. For what it's worth, at Princeton's interview/campus visits, we didn't get a full schedule until we physically arrived to campus (which was nerve-wracking!) but it all worked out okay. 

I hope things went well at Princeton. Their campus is beautiful! As someone who lived in NJ, I am quite familiar with it. One of my best friends went there for undergrad (he was the smart one, I'm the fun one). 

43 minutes ago, Vivian2020 said:

Hey, there! I got the official rejection from Emory today as well, but I am trying to focus all my energy on those schools that have sent admission offers or reached out for interviews. I will also be attending the recruitment event at UVA! We are kind of on the same page here ? 

The DGS told me that they have prepared a series of classes, talks and meetings for the candidates. They are flying me all the way from Lima, Peru! It should be an interesting couple of days. 

All the way from Lima?!?! That is awesome. Sorry to hear about Emory though. I don't have too much time to dwell on it really, I am preparing for MA exams on Friday.

I hope that you are getting other amazing offers!

On 1/21/2020 at 10:32 AM, hanxiaobojing said:

Just wondering if anyone applies to Washington St. Louis as well?   

@Vivian2020Parece que tenemos intereses totalmente diferentes jaja. Ninguno de los 8 programas que postulaste aparece en mi lista. Pero ¡buena suerte de todos modos! 

@hanxiaobojing have you heard back from Washington U. in st. Louis?

15 hours ago, SlyManuel said:

All the way from Lima?!?! That is awesome. Sorry to hear about Emory though. I don't have too much time to dwell on it really, I am preparing for MA exams on Friday.

I hope that you are getting other amazing offers!

Thank you! Best of luck for your exams! We should chat before UVA's recruitment event. 

On 2/9/2020 at 9:36 AM, senorbrightside said:

Stupid schools, it's so arbitrary. Whatever you do, do NOT give up. It's just a matter of a little time. Do something that interests you and makes you a better candidate.

I'm a lot older than all of you and I think I was accepted only because I applied that one year. Really. The stars aligned and they will for you too!

I was rejected from UT-Austin (thank god!) and I remember an admin calling me to ask for an updated transcript. When I told her that was really the year I graduated with my BA, she said "Oh, ok, I will make a note for the admission committee that you are really that old" I knew right then it would not end well.

7 hours ago, xolo said:

Stupid schools, it's so arbitrary. Whatever you do, do NOT give up. It's just a matter of a little time. Do something that interests you and makes you a better candidate.

I'm a lot older than all of you and I think I was accepted only because I applied that one year. Really. The stars aligned and they will for you too!

I was rejected from UT-Austin (thank god!) and I remember an admin calling me to ask for an updated transcript. When I told her that was really the year I graduated with my BA, she said "Oh, ok, I will make a note for the admission committee that you are really that old" I knew right then it would not end well.

Ageism much? I'm older too. It sounds like you dodged a bullet at UT Austin if they asked that...and me enfado por ti.

In regards to grad school, people tend to land where they're supposed to be at the right time, so if it's meant to be there's next year and other schools that might actually be a better fit. I think my research interests are changing to a different focus so...not saying it doesn't sting but just more objective about it, and it's also preparing me, if I do continue in academia, for all the rejection to come! :D