Spanish 2020

SlyManuel

Hi SlyManuel. You're already done with your applications? Wow, that is efficient! I wasn't done nearly so quickly back at the end of 2014 when I submitted my 9 applications.  But, extremely stressed is normal, most people feel that way, and that's exactly how I felt back then. I'm now in my fifth year of a PhD program and I went ABD in June 2019. I'm doing fieldwork now to "finish" my PhD (as if the dissertation isn't much of anything!) I wish everyone great success! 

I'm torn right now. I'm hoping to continue on to the Ph.D where I'm doing my master. There are days I think they'll admit me to the PH.D. , and there are days where I think they must think I'm the biggest idiot ever and I have no chance whatsoever.

I'm probably applying to a couple as backup, and if I don't get in, I'll at least know so I have time to apply to the ones due in January. I may take a gap year too between the M.A. and Ph.D. 

My focus is on 20th and 21st century Iberian/Peninsular studies, so if anyone has any recommendations of programs, I always enjoy looking at them :D 

2 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

I'm torn right now. I'm hoping to continue on to the Ph.D where I'm doing my master. There are days I think they'll admit me to the PH.D. , and there are days where I think they must think I'm the biggest idiot ever and I have no chance whatsoever.

I'm probably applying to a couple as backup, and if I don't get in, I'll at least know so I have time to apply to the ones due in January. I may take a gap year too between the M.A. and Ph.D. 

My focus is on 20th and 21st century Iberian/Peninsular studies, so if anyone has any recommendations of programs, I always enjoy looking at them :D 

I am in the same boat. I would ideally stay in the department I am currently at. However, I am unsure if I'd be allowed to continue, although I have been assured that I should have no issues as long as I do well on my exams in Feb. I am applying to some programs just in case. 

For peninsular, you should look into UMich and Indiana U.  

15 hours ago, xolo said:

Hi SlyManuel. You're already done with your applications? Wow, that is efficient! I wasn't done nearly so quickly back at the end of 2014 when I submitted my 9 applications.  But, extremely stressed is normal, most people feel that way, and that's exactly how I felt back then. I'm now in my fifth year of a PhD program and I went ABD in June 2019. I'm doing fieldwork now to "finish" my PhD (as if the dissertation isn't much of anything!) I wish everyone great success! 

I want to focus on my exams, that is why I finished so early. 

Congrats on making ABD. Best of luck with the rest of the requirements!

You guys rock! I felt the same way a couple of years ago while working up to my MA. I don't study literature, I'm in a linguistics program and at the time I was writing about the fonetics of a Mexican tonal language. I thought I was going to fail! I never want to write about phonetics again. ever. I can remember how my MA chair "strongly encouraged" me to work harder.

Now I'm here where that language is spoken but I'm working on cultural aspects. I'm good.

Good luck to everyone.

Hola a todos! How exciting! I've been waiting for a thread like this to pop up. I'm still in the application process... right now I have 9 PhD programs on my list, all in the US. I also have one application submitted already for an MPhil at Cambridge, but still waiting to hear 1. if I'll get in, and 2. if I'll get Gates funding. I'm applying straight out of undergrad, so I'm still in my senior year right now. 

I focus mostly on contemporary Iberian literature, though I'm also interested in doing some comparative work with contemporary Latin American literature as well. I'm drawn to themes of censorship, the body, flanerie and the city, and maps, to name a few. 

I've been working on my writing samples lately... all of my programs have different length requirements, which is sort of annoying! I'm working on expanding an 11-page piece to be closer to 17 pages. Wish me luck!! 

What research topics are you all interested in?

17 hours ago, coffeeortea said:

Hola a todos! How exciting! I've been waiting for a thread like this to pop up. I'm still in the application process... right now I have 9 PhD programs on my list, all in the US. I also have one application submitted already for an MPhil at Cambridge, but still waiting to hear 1. if I'll get in, and 2. if I'll get Gates funding. I'm applying straight out of undergrad, so I'm still in my senior year right now. 

I focus mostly on contemporary Iberian literature, though I'm also interested in doing some comparative work with contemporary Latin American literature as well. I'm drawn to themes of censorship, the body, flanerie and the city, and maps, to name a few. 

I've been working on my writing samples lately... all of my programs have different length requirements, which is sort of annoying! I'm working on expanding an 11-page piece to be closer to 17 pages. Wish me luck!! 

What research topics are you all interested in?

I am mostly focusing in Caribbean and US Latino literature. Particularly interested in gender, sexuality, and national identity. 

I recently started delving into 18th-19th century Iberian and have been very interested in it. Especially because there are some topics that lend themselves to be compared to other European regionalities, as well as the Americas. 

• 2 weeks later...

¡Hola a todos! I applied back in September (I was going to apply last year, but decided to wait another year last minute) and for some reason now that I know that universities will be looking at my application soon, I'm getting very anxious! I applied to Spanish Linguistics programs in four universities: UT Austin, Arizona State, University of Illinois at Chicago & University of Pennsylvania (Educational Linguistics). I'm very excited for next year :)

¡Hola Hola! Nice to e-meet you all! I am applying to hispanic PhD programs in US and Canada this year. My research focuses on the modern and contemporary Latin American literature and culture more broadly and I am interested in urban and landscape studies, visual culture and critical theory.

I am still striving to finish all the materials and will try my best to catch up with the first due. I feel super stressed as I am working at the same time and I am from China without academic experience in English-speaking countries. T.T But anyway, good luck to all! (with fingers crossed

• 2 weeks later...

For those applying for a Master's first, I would suggest my program. It is highly ranked in the US. However, they expect students to take one course in each area. The doctorate is more area-focused, but they require a Master's to apply. Unfortunately, the deadline is tomorrowhttps://www.colorado.edu/spanish/graduate

Hey all,

I thought I would finally introduce myself after longtime lurking. I’ve applied to four PhD programs in Spanish linguistics (OSU, UIUC, Arizona and Georgetown). My main focus is less common still: Spanish in the US so I haven’t applied to as many programs as I’m sure others will have. 

My main query is mainly about UIUC - I’ve noticed from the results search that they’ve historically released results the past two years this week. Does anyone know if they have released any results (even for internal candidates)? Or have they been delayed until after the holidays this year? I’m aware it’s still VERY early days but Illinois historically always seems to be the first to make their decisions. 

3 hours ago, keating5 said:

Hey all,

I thought I would finally introduce myself after longtime lurking. I’ve applied to four PhD programs in Spanish linguistics (OSU, UIUC, Arizona and Georgetown). My main focus is less common still: Spanish in the US so I haven’t applied to as many programs as I’m sure others will have. 

My main query is mainly about UIUC - I’ve noticed from the results search that they’ve historically released results the past two years this week. Does anyone know if they have released any results (even for internal candidates)? Or have they been delayed until after the holidays this year? I’m aware it’s still VERY early days but Illinois historically always seems to be the first to make their decisions. 

UIUC has only decided on a select few at the moment. They will decide on everyone else at a later date. 

Edited by senorbrightside

6 hours ago, keating5 said:

Hey all,

Have you looked into Rutgers program?

I might as well fess up. I was an internal applicant at UIUC from the MA to Ph.D, and I was rejected, and this is the worst I've ever taken any grad school rejection. And now wondering if it's too late to throw together an application for places that don't have due dates until Jan as I only applied to two others as I was so certain I would be able to continue at UIUC. Any advice? I feel really weird about asking faculty for letters of rec now right after they just decided I wasn't right for them. 

4 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

I might as well fess up. I was an internal applicant at UIUC from the MA to Ph.D, and I was rejected, and this is the worst I've ever taken any grad school rejection. And now wondering if it's too late to throw together an application for places that don't have due dates until Jan as I only applied to two others as I was so certain I would be able to continue at UIUC. Any advice? I feel really weird about asking faculty for letters of rec now right after they just decided I wasn't right for them. 

@senorbrightside I’m really sorry to hear that. All rejections are tough to process especially from a department where you already know the professors. Did they give you any feedback to explain the decision? You could always use that if you were to go for any other programs. 

I’m still in limbo it seems then. Hopefully I’ll take this as neither an acceptance or a rejection and see if they contact me in January/February (OSU had a similar deadline and normally make decisions around then it seems). 

@SlyManuel - I’ve not looked into the Rutgers program. Will have a look now. Always best to be prepared for any eventuality. Thanks for the pointer. 

23 hours ago, keating5 said:

Hey all,

Hi @keating5! I am also interested in Spanish in the US :) You should also look into UIC!

7 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

I might as well fess up. I was an internal applicant at UIUC from the MA to Ph.D, and I was rejected, and this is the worst I've ever taken any grad school rejection. And now wondering if it's too lae to throw together an application for places that don't have due dates until Jan as I only applied to two others as I was so certain I would be able to continue at UIUC. Any advice? I feel really weird about asking faculty for letters of rec now right after they just decided I wasn't right for them. 

@senorbrightside I am so sorry to hear that! I completed my MA in Spanish Literature at UIUC back in 2016 and later decided that the PhD was not for me (3 years later here I am applying to programs and shifting to Linguistics haha). Anyways, I think you should definitely ask your professors (especially your advisor) for feedback and recommendation letters. The fact that you were rejected does not mean that they think you are not capable of completing a doctoral program. Maybe they just think that your interests & the focus of the program do not align? I know that happened to a couple people in my class. Do not lose hope if this is what you really want. Al final, todo va a salir bien, ya verás. ¡No te desanimes!

On 12/20/2019 at 9:29 AM, senorbrightside said:

I have no idea why that happened nor do I know you, but this sounds absolutely heinous. Friggin dysfunctional departments. There was one really nice guy in my department who failed his MA exam so left with nothing after a couple of years of his time. Just give him his MA and let him go, maybe he wants to teach Spanish at a high school or something. Friggin egotistical professors "setting an example".

You should ask the faculty that you have rapport with to write letters, not that letters are that important, but it is a check-box that must be in place. Your written material is what matters.

Edited by xolo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Kkkkk2020 said:

¿Alguien tiene noticias del programa de Princeton, Columbia o Emory?

I applied to Columbia as well, but have got no further news so far. ?Just to mention that the application system of Columbia allows for opportunities to update your materials, though I am not sure whether the new documents will be considered first by the committee before the previous ones. Anyway, I just updated my CV and SoP, as I have done further research on my proposed topic and I would like to share, even for its own sake.

Good luck to all!?

On 12/24/2019 at 6:09 AM, xolo said:

I have no idea why that happened nor do I know you, but this sounds absolutely heinous. Friggin dysfunctional departments. There was one really nice guy in my department who failed his MA exam so left with nothing after a couple of years of his time. Just give him his MA and let him go, maybe he wants to teach Spanish at a high school or something. Friggin egotistical professors "setting an example".

You should ask the faculty that you have rapport with to write letters, not that letters are that important, but it is a check-box that must be in place. Your written material is what matters.

I have to disagree on letters of recommendations. If the letters come from an institution where a member of the committee graduated from OR if the person writing is an internationally respected scholar from a respected program, that letter will carry a lot of weight. 

On 1/7/2020 at 4:55 PM, theatergeek said:

Según las estadísticas oficiales del programa, ya existen 13 acceptances de University of Minnesota:

https://apps.grad.umn.edu/stats/ad/1216900.shtml

¿Alguien recibió algo?

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 12.53.00 AM.png

Pero eso fue para el año académico en el que ya estamos.