Spanish 2020

SlyManuel

10 hours ago, Ms. Ana said:

Hola :) May I ask when you heard back from UIC? I have not heard back from them yet and I am starting to freak out a bit. Hopefully you hear back from others soon!

Hi! Yup I received an email from DGS on Jan 30.

On 1/27/2020 at 10:51 PM, Vivian2020 said:

Hey, guys! I got into the PhD program in Spanish at the University of Virginia. They are offering me a really competitive admission package (five years funding plus an interdisciplinary fellowship related to my research interests). I have some doubts about living in Charlottesville, though. If any of you have visited or know anything helpful about UVA and living in this part of Virginia, please let me know. In the meantime, I have an interview with Emory this week (which is one of my top programs) and have been unofficially admitted into the Hispanic Studies program at the University of Houston. Still waiting to hear from Northwestern (also one of my top choices), and a few other universities. 

Hope everyone receives good news soon!!

Hi Vivian2020! I'm new to this thread...currently freaking out about decisions, but I wanted to comment on your post. I did not apply to UVA for grad school, but I did spend my four years of undergrad there. I absolutely loved LOVED UVA and Charlottesville. I never looked at it as a small city because there were always things to do--cultural events, concerts, sporting events, etc. It is a gorgeous area in the Blue Ridge Mountains perfect for nature/hiking lovers. In terms of distance, its about 2 hours from DC which really isn't that bad if you have a car (I made the drive many times as I'm originally from northern VA). There's also the AMTRAC (train), and I think people still do ride shares. Don't cross UVA off your list if you're worried about Charlottesville because it has much more to offer than what you see on just a google search. Also, UVA is a prestigious school and does attract quite a few big names. 

Hi everyone! I've applied to UMich (rejected ouch), UCDavis, UT-Austin, Tulane, and Notre Dame. Wondering if any have heard from Notre Dame? I was feeling really positive about my chances, but I saw that someone received their offer on the 30th. I've heard nothing either way. 

Also, congrats to all that have been accepted to their dream schools! Sending comfort to those receiving rejections ❤️

46 minutes ago, mariposa16 said:

Hi Vivian2020! I'm new to this thread...currently freaking out about decisions, but I wanted to comment on your post. I did not apply to UVA for grad school, but I did spend my four years of undergrad there. I absolutely loved LOVED UVA and Charlottesville. I never looked at it as a small city because there were always things to do--cultural events, concerts, sporting events, etc. It is a gorgeous area in the Blue Ridge Mountains perfect for nature/hiking lovers. In terms of distance, its about 2 hours from DC which really isn't that bad if you have a car (I made the drive many times as I'm originally from northern VA). There's also the AMTRAC (train), and I think people still do ride shares. Don't cross UVA off your list if you're worried about Charlottesville because it has much more to offer than what you see on just a google search. Also, UVA is a prestigious school and does attract quite a few big names. 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at UVA and Charlottesville with me. I have been exchanging emails with faculty members and a current graduate student in the Spanish department, and so far everyone has been very welcoming. I’m hoping to attend the recruitment event in a few weeks. Right now their program is high up on my list. They have offered me an interdisciplinary doctoral fellowship which comes with additional funding, and with the opportunity of researching topics related to the Caribbean and its diaspora, which is my main subject of interest. Hope you receive good news soon!! ?

1 hour ago, mariposa16 said:

Hi everyone! I've applied to UMich (rejected ouch), UCDavis, UT-Austin, Tulane, and Notre Dame. Wondering if any have heard from Notre Dame? I was feeling really positive about my chances, but I saw that someone received their offer on the 30th. I've heard nothing either way. 

Also, congrats to all that have been accepted to their dream schools! Sending comfort to those receiving rejections ❤️

Hello, I also applied to Notre Dame and got bummed when I saw someone was accepted. I talked to the DGS and he told me that their process is slow and we still had time, but I'm still confused about that post. And I also applied to UT Austin and I'm still waiting for any news about the process.

I hope you get some good news soon!

5 minutes ago, mariposa16 said:

Just received an email to check my status for UC-Davis...accepted for the Spanish M.A. program! Not really sure how to feel as I applied for the PhD...  I feel like it's either a mistake, or they didn't think I was strong enough for the PhD. Anyone else?

Hi! I was admitted to their PhD program, but when the professor spoke to me on the phone he told me that they typically do not admit undergrads to the PhD, and that he wanted me to know that I could drop down to just the MA because that would be easier for me. Tbh it kind of put me off: felt like he was saying “we admitted you, but our expectations are very low”. Are you also an undergraduate?

9 hours ago, coffeeortea said:

Hi! I was admitted to their PhD program, but when the professor spoke to me on the phone he told me that they typically do not admit undergrads to the PhD, and that he wanted me to know that I could drop down to just the MA because that would be easier for me. Tbh it kind of put me off: felt like he was saying “we admitted you, but our expectations are very low”. Are you also an undergraduate?

Yeah that's what I figured. I had talked to them before and they recommended the Masters because I didn't have it. I graduated two and a half years ago and have spent these past years on a grant teaching in Colombia...so I haven't been doing academic work in quite some time. I feel the same though... a little bit off-putting. 

13 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

A friend heard from Chicago yesterday...and me nothing. I'm facing potential shut out now and my imposter syndrome is worse than ever :(

Don't give up. This whole process is completely bonkers and its all about the right time and what schools are looking for at that particular moment. I am sure that there is a program out there who will see how amazing you are. 

18 minutes ago, SlyManuel said:

Did anyone apply to NYU and has heard from them? 

Hi, I applied to NYU and had an interview this past Wednesday with two members of the admission committee. They said they would make decision in the next two weeks.

On 2/4/2020 at 7:13 PM, SlyManuel said:

Congrats to all of those who have received acceptances thus far. As for me, I just found out that I am waitlisted at UVA, my POI assured me that I am high on the list so I am excited about that. I have an interview with Temple tomorrow through Skype which I am very confused about since they said it would only be 10-15 minutes, still excited about tho. 

P.S. good luck to those taking MA exams soon. 

Who cares about the length of the interview, this is super positive. I never got any interviews from anybody.

So how did it go?

Edited by xolo

1 hour ago, xolo said:

Who cares about the length of the interview, this is super positive. I never got any interviews from anybody.

So how did it go?

It was super interesting. They asked me a couple of questions regarding my interests and a possible dissertation project. They provided some feedback (not too in-depth), then spent the rest of the time telling me about the merits of the program and the changes they are making for next year. They told me that they had just hired a new professor whose interests greatly aligned with my own.  

Enhorabuena to all the acceptances. I'm happy (and jealous) for you.

I just logged into U of Chicago to see the official rejection. After the rejection from UIUC in December...that makes 2 rejections out of the three applications. I still have a few weeks to wait for Colorado-Boulder to come in, but I don't have much hope. 

I'm reconsidering this whole academia thing...yet at the same time being rejected just makes me want it more, jaja. 

I was rejected from U Chicago as well. Ended up being referred to the MAPH program. I most likely will not be going down that road (if they accept me) as I don't want to go massively into debt, especially considering the competitiveness in Spanish teaching job market. I'm also doubting if it's worth applying again next year. Congrats to everyone on their acceptances and interviews!

Hey everyone, 

I'm so pleased to see so many people getting acceptances and I really feel for those who haven't heard back yet or only have heard rejections so far. Remember it's still early days! Just thought I'd give a quick update - I've been accepted into Arizona which I'm thrilled about. However, I've not heard back from Georgetown and I can see that acceptances have been sent out there so I'm assuming the worst. Still radio silence from OSU and UIUC. UIUC's website says that decisions should hopefully be made by Feb 15th so that's keeping me a little bit saner with the waiting. 

On 2/4/2020 at 2:34 PM, span59 said:

Hey guys I thought I’d join this thread to share some information.

I am an international applicant applying for Hispanic linguistics Phd programs.

I got acceptances from UIC and Georgetown, and is waiting for five others.
Have you guys received any notice from UCLA, UIUC, or Penn State?

UIUC says on their website decisions should be made by Feb 15th. I applied for the Hispanic linguistics program too!

Edited by keating5

1 hour ago, keating5 said:

Hey everyone, 

I'm so pleased to see so many people getting acceptances and I really feel for those who haven't heard back yet or only have heard rejections so far. Remember it's still early days! Just thought I'd give a quick update - I've been accepted into Arizona which I'm thrilled about. However, I've not heard back from Georgetown and I can see that acceptances have been sent out there so I'm assuming the worst. Still radio silence from OSU and UIUC. UIUC's website says that decisions should hopefully be made by Feb 15th so that's keeping me a little bit saner with the waiting. 

Congrats on your acceptance to ASU! Which track did you apply to, Linguistics or Literature? ASU is my first choice (Spanish Linguistics) and I still have not heard back so I'm freaking out a bit :( Hopefully you hear back from the others soon. I did my master's at UIUC and heard back from them at the end of February so don't lose hope :)

15 hours ago, Ms. Ana said:

Congrats on your acceptance to ASU! Which track did you apply to, Linguistics or Literature? ASU is my first choice (Spanish Linguistics) and I still have not heard back so I'm freaking out a bit :( Hopefully you hear back from the others soon. I did my master's at UIUC and heard back from them at the end of February so don't lose hope :)

I applied for the linguistics track but at U of Arizona not at ASU. I also looked at ASU and that looked like another great program - I almost applied to both but funds meant I could only to one and I felt I would be a slightly better felt at U of Arizona. I’m sure you’ll be hearing good news from them soon @Ms. Ana

Also - thanks for that info. Arizona and Illinois are my top two choices out of the four I’ve applied to. I always felt Georgetown was a bit of a reach. Not so sure about OSU - there’s no pattern in the results history about when they release decisions. Just wait and see.