Spanish 2020

SlyManuel

7 hours ago, caeiro said:

Also, would anyone like to claim the Columbia offer?

Hi, I am also curious about the offer, and rejections as well. I read that two people reported rejections, one via website and the other via email. That made me confused, because my portal still says nothing about update of status. 

10 hours ago, hanxiaobojing said:

Hi, I am also curious about the offer, and rejections as well. I read that two people reported rejections, one via website and the other via email. That made me confused, because my portal still says nothing about update of status. 

Same! Did you have one or two interviews? (In years past, it seems applicants went through two rounds of interviewing.) 

16 minutes ago, caeiro said:

Same! Did you have one or two interviews? (In years past, it seems applicants went through two rounds of interviewing.) 

I only had one interview with the Admission Committee. 
But a friend (from another department at Columbia) told me today that LAIC sent out 5 offers this year. I don't think they keep a wait-list thing. So I am assuming a rejection. But I still hope to receive the notification asap - whatever it turns out to be - so that I can make my decision. 

2 minutes ago, SlyManuel said:

How is everyone doing with the decision making? I have to choose between three programs, all which have pros and cons and I am struggling with it. What are some things you guys are considering in your decision making process?

There's a big factor that gets little attention (usually). Besides the academic alignment and all that stuff, a big question is how well the department runs and is it functional or dysfunctional. Professors' egos get in the way all the time, not to mention when you have people from all over the world working together it can be culturally stressful. 

The problem is trying to get a "read" on how you might be affected since it's pretty subjective and probably most departments are not perfect. (Oh, far from it).

Then again, maybe you don't care. I decided to just not let it bother me because that wasn't what I was there for and I knew university students are only there on a temporary basis. I'm now far away from it and trying to write. But there were events I experienced, where I just shook my head and thought wtf?

33 minutes ago, SlyManuel said:

How is everyone doing with the decision making? I have to choose between three programs, all which have pros and cons and I am struggling with it. What are some things you guys are considering in your decision making process?

I am also having a hard time... I've been accepted to 5 programs, and I know I won't be attending UC Davis, but I am thinking about Yale, UVA, Cornell, and Georgetown. Yale is making me feel some typa way because of the whole scandal in the last few years with Echevarría... I'm leaning towards Cornell or UVA right now. But I'm also still waiting to hear from Princeton and I'm waiting on my Stanford interview the first week of March...

Right now I’m leaning towards UVA, which awarded me a fellowship that aligns perfectly with my research interests, but Tulane nominated me for a great scholarship that, if I get it, will equal the offer made by UVA, so I am waiting to visit UVA and hear back from Tulane before making a decision. 
I’ve been accepted to three programs so far; still waiting to hear back from other four (honestly, would rather not have so many more acceptances as I feel it would drive me crazy to have to pick one program out of too many choices, is this weird??  

1 hour ago, Vivian2020 said:

Right now I’m leaning towards UVA, which awarded me a fellowship that aligns perfectly with my research interests, but Tulane nominated me for a great scholarship that, if I get it, will equal the offer made by UVA, so I am waiting to visit UVA and hear back from Tulane before making a decision. 
I’ve been accepted to three programs so far; still waiting to hear back from other four (honestly, would rather not have so many more acceptances as I feel it would drive me crazy to have to pick one program out of too many choices, is this weird??  

3 hours ago, coffeeortea said:

I am also having a hard time... I've been accepted to 5 programs, and I know I won't be attending UC Davis, but I am thinking about Yale, UVA, Cornell, and Georgetown. Yale is making me feel some typa way because of the whole scandal in the last few years with Echevarría... I'm leaning towards Cornell or UVA right now. But I'm also still waiting to hear from Princeton and I'm waiting on my Stanford interview the first week of March...

Seems like the three of us are seriously considering UVA. I really like their program and although I got a slightly better offer elsewhere, it is still very much at the top of my list. 

I have to admit, however, that I am slightly jealous of the Cornell admit, coffeeortea, I regret not applying but I made the decision to only apply to 5 places and Cornell was #6 on my list, but their program is great. 

12 hours ago, SlyManuel said:

That's a good question. In addition to those concerns already mentioned above, I am wondering how you guys think about big cities vs small towns. ?

Some of friends would like to do a Ph.D. in New York City, where people enjoy more cultural resources, and dynamic life. Others prefer small towns, where living expenses are less stressful. Personally, I am a little bit more inclined towards big city, but living in small places will definitely make me more concentrated on the studies. I am curious about your opinions. Any idea?

17 hours ago, María de Zayas said:

Do you guys have any news on NYU? I entered my dream program, but I am waiting for my NYU rejection letter to end all this. I didn't get an interview, so I'm pretty sure they don't want me at Washington Square Park.

Hi María, I got interviewed by NYU, but then there's no further news. I saw people already reported offer. So I assume a rejection. I am planning to write to the program director this week to see if they keep a waiting list or something, so that I can make my decision with other offers. 

3 hours ago, hanxiaobojing said:

That's a good question. In addition to those concerns already mentioned above, I am wondering how you guys think about big cities vs small towns. ?

Some of friends would like to do a Ph.D. in New York City, where people enjoy more cultural resources, and dynamic life. Others prefer small towns, where living expenses are less stressful. Personally, I am a little bit more inclined towards big city, but living in small places will definitely make me more concentrated on the studies. I am curious about your opinions. Any idea?

This is totally subjective and personal, just try to visualize where you'd be happier and go there. I was 4 years in a California "small town" but super expensive at the same time. Also, I'm now in a "small town" in Mexico that, for me at least, is culturally very rich. 

23 hours ago, coffeeortea said:

When did you hear from Davis?

3 hours ago, coffeeortea said:

February 1st, by email. It actually went to my spam mailbox, I found it by chance like 3 days later.

I guess that means a) I'm on an unofficial waitlist, waiting to see if their first round of applicants don't accept, b) I'm rejected but they haven't gotten around to sending them out yet. I guess I could send them an email to ask.

Is anyone else waiting for a TA offer from ASU? I've seen a couple people post on the results page that they've been accepted and I'm wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as me... When I asked the Graduate Coordinator, they replied saying that there is a list of people waiting and that "It is difficult to say if or when an offer will be sent to you. It could be as soon as today, or potentially during the summer. If an offer becomes available, we will reach out to you." Not very helpful ?

Dear all, I have been waitlisted at Washington University in St. Louis (WashU). If you have been accepted and are thinking to decline the offer, please do so as soon as possible. WashU is my top choice and I would be very happy if I have the chance to get off the waitlist. Thanks!