Spanish 2020

SlyManuel

On 1/16/2020 at 4:10 AM, Kkkkk2020 said:

¿Alguien tiene noticias del programa de Princeton, Columbia o Emory?

¡Hola a todos! Yo postulé a 8 programas doctorales en Hispanic Studies/Spanish (Northwestern, Pittsburgh, Virginia, Emory, Tulane, Vanderbilt, Houston y Princeton). De momento solo he recibido noticias de Emory (invitación para una entrevista). ¿Alguien más ha sido invitado para entrevista en Emory? 

Best of luck to all!

On 1/21/2020 at 9:32 AM, hanxiaobojing said:

Just wondering if anyone applies to Washington University St. Louis as well?   

@Vivian2020Parece que tenemos intereses totalmente diferentes jaja. Ninguno de los 8 programas que postulaste aparece en mi lista. Pero ¡buena suerte de todos modos! 

I have applied to Washington University in St. Louis, too!

Hello, I'm applying too to Spanish PhD programs! I'm applying to 10, including WashingtonUniversity in St. Louis, Notre Dame, Berkeley, UC Santa Barbara, UT Austin and Northwestern. Have you heard back from any of them? I saw someone had an interview with Berkeley but the post hasn't any details about it.

Good luck to everyone! 

PS. I'm really nervous and there are days where I think I'm going to fail every application and days where I think I'll get accepted into 3 or 4 (10 just seems unrealistic, hahaha). Also, the lack of any clear date for the results is destroying me.

On 1/21/2020 at 2:42 PM, Cafeau said:

Hello, I'm applying too to Spanish PhD programs! I'm applying to 10, including Washington University in St. Louis, Notre Dame, Berkeley, UC Santa Barbara, UT Austin and Northwestern. Have you heard back from any of them? I saw someone had an interview with Berkeley but the post hasn't any details about it.

Good luck to everyone! 

PS. I'm really nervous and there are days where I think I'm going to fail every application and days where I think I'll get accepted into 3 or 4 (10 just seems unrealistic, hahaha). Also, the lack of any clear date for the results is destroying me.

Hola :) I applied to UT Austin as well and have not heard back yet. I think we should be hearing back (late January or early February) based on forums from previous years on here. Which track have you applied to? I applied to Spanish Linguistics. Good luck y ya verás que vas a entrar al programa indicado para ti, ¡ánimo! Will post if I hear anything.

7 minutes ago, Ms. Ana said:

Hola :) I applied to UT Austin as well and have not heard back yet. I think we should be hearing back (late January or early February) based on forums from previous years on here. Which track have you applied to? I applied to Spanish Linguistics. Good luck y ya verás que vas a entrar al programa indicado para ti, ¡ánimo! Will post if I hear anything.

¡Hola! I applied to the Iberian and Latin American Languages and Cultures track. Hope to hear from any program soon, just to get with it. Thank you for the great wishes, I know it will be the same for you.

On 1/17/2020 at 11:54 PM, Ciboney said:

I have to disagree on letters of recommendations. If the letters come from an institution where a member of the committee graduated from OR if the person writing is an internationally respected scholar from a respected program, that letter will carry a lot of weight. 

Well, of course you are right in those cases. I didn't know any internationally respected scholars when I applied (I do now since I'm at a UC campus). At my school, the membership of the admission committee seems to be a state secret, I certainly didn't have that info when I applied.

I actually was pretty ignorant when I applied to nine programs. No, I was very ignorant. I managed to get accepted into several programs somehow. The MA that I would have paid for (riiiiight) and others, but I did someone get accepted into a nearby UC campus where I taught Spanish for four years and went ABD last year. Now I'm doing what I really wanted to do, fieldwork in Mexico. But I don't study literature.

Anyway, good luck to everybody. I remember how exciting it was when I applied and when I got that email offering. That turned out to be life changing.

Hey, guys! I got into the PhD program in Spanish at the University of Virginia. They are offering me a really competitive admission package (five years funding plus an interdisciplinary fellowship related to my research interests). I have some doubts about living in Charlottesville, though. If any of you have visited or know anything helpful about UVA and living in this part of Virginia, please let me know. In the meantime, I have an interview with Emory this week (which is one of my top programs) and have been unofficially admitted into the Hispanic Studies program at the University of Houston. Still waiting to hear from Northwestern (also one of my top choices), and a few other universities. 

Hope everyone receives good news soon!!

Edited by Vivian2020

Hey there @Vivian2020,

That's a nice fellowship, but please consider how terrible living in Charlottesville can be -- it is extremely difficult and time-consuming to get to any major city. If you study foreign languages, you probably have some interest in travel and the like. Traveling while going to UVA is extremely annoying. I'd much rather go to Emory than UVA. Of course, you should visit and then make up your mind.

13 hours ago, Vivian2020 said:

Hey, guys! I got into the PhD program in Spanish at the University of Virginia. They are offering me a really competitive admission package (five years funding plus an interdisciplinary fellowship related to my research interests). I have some doubts about living in Charlottesville, though. If any of you have visited or know anything helpful about UVA and living in this part of Virginia, please let me know. In the meantime, I have an interview with Emory this week (which is one of my top programs) and have been unofficially admitted into the Hispanic Studies program at the University of Houston. Still waiting to hear from Northwestern (also one of my top choices), and a few other universities. 

Hope everyone receives good news soon!!

I also got into UVA with the same package! I'm not sure about living in Charlottesville either.

14 hours ago, Cafeau said:

No, where did you get notifications and invitations from?

I was contacted yesterday by Yale for an interview, and Stanford for a campus visit/interview. I was also accepted to Cornell yesterday, which I'm very excited about! I wasn't expecting to hear so soon from any of them. 

10 minutes ago, coffeeortea said:

I was contacted yesterday by Yale for an interview, and Stanford for a campus visit/interview. I was also accepted to Cornell yesterday, which I'm very excited about! I wasn't expecting to hear so soon from any of them. 

Congratulations!!! I was contacted by WashU and had a little interview with a non POI faculty member. Other than that, my options have been silent. Still a little bit stressed.

35 minutes ago, Cafeau said:

Congratulations!!! I was contacted by WashU and had a little interview with a non POI faculty member. Other than that, my options have been silent. Still a little bit stressed.

Thank you! Congrats on WashU! I wouldn't be too stressed yet. I feel like it's still very early, all things considered!