2020 Application Thread for Communications Program

Fall 2020 Application Thread for Communications Program

Hi all,

I can't be the only one here who's already started this process, right?! Plus, I figure reading everyone's replies will motivate me to send that e-mail or make that edit to my CV that I've been putting off :) 

Anywho, here is my list-in-progress:

- NYU,

- Columbia,

- University of Minnesota (considering for both Comm and Asian Languages, Cultures, and Media),

- UT Austin,

- USC,

- Boston University,

- University of San Fransisco,

I have my BA in Mass Comm and I'm primarily looking at programs with a strong corporate communications emphasis. Anyone else out there interested in international communication/corporate communications?

Can you also share other programs that you might be applying to as well?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else out there applying to media-focused communication doctoral programs? I've submitted to Ohio State, Penn State, UNC, Rutgers, University of South Florida, and will be applying to University of Florida. I know Ohio State and UNC's deadlines were/are this week, so curious if anyone else is applying there. 

Looking at rhetoric programs with a cultural studies presence, here. Applying to:

- Penn State

- Arizona State

- University of Georgia

- UNC Chapel Hill

- University of Minnesota

- Colorado-Boulder

- Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Half way through the applications, though one is due tonight and one of my LORs hasn't been uploaded yet. I'm worried that that is going to be a regular issue on the rest of them ?

Well, I just logged into my Ohio State applicant account (even though I know it's way too early to see a decision) and was shocked to see that my status had changed to "decision" and I've been admitted! It seems super bizarre to me though, and I was curious if anyone else is seeing the same thing. I haven't received any word from them (through email, phone, etc.) regarding the decision, and the application was only due last Sunday (12/1). Seems too good to be true and kinda freaking out that it's a mistake lol. Anyone have any similar reports? 

Edited by sea382

58 minutes ago, sea382 said:

Well, I just logged into my Ohio State applicant account (even though I know it's way too early to see a decision) and was shocked to see that my status had changed to "decision" and I've been admitted! It seems super bizarre to me though, and I was curious if anyone else is seeing the same thing. I haven't received any word from them (through email, phone, etc.) regarding the decision, and the application was only due last Sunday (12/1). Seems too good to be true and kinda freaking out that it's a mistake lol. Anyone have any similar reports? 

It is really exciting! I haven't seen any change on my account. But I guess OSU nominated you to a university fellowship, because I heard they had an admission meeting on Dec. 5th to make decisions about fellowship receivers. Congrats!!! You must be the first one who got accepted this year!! Btw, may I know a little bit about your background? 

9 minutes ago, fffighting said:

It is really exciting! I haven't seen any change on my account. But I guess OSU nominated you to a university fellowship, because I heard they had an admission meeting on Dec. 5th to make decisions about fellowship receivers. Congrats!!! You must be the first one who got accepted this year!! Btw, may I know a little bit about your background? 

Oh wow, good to know! Thanks for sharing that. I was shocked to see a decision so early. Best of luck to you as well!!! As far as my background, I graduated in 2018 with my MA from Purdue in communication. Since graduating, I've been working at a media-related nonprofit. My thesis research was a content analysis of television sitcoms from 1950-2009 looking for paternal social support given to children. I'm interested in the intersection of family and entertainment media, so I was really excited by the number of faculty at OSU studying similar areas. What's your area of interest?

8 hours ago, sea382 said:

Oh wow, good to know! Thanks for sharing that. I was shocked to see a decision so early. Best of luck to you as well!!! As far as my background, I graduated in 2018 with my MA from Purdue in communication. Since graduating, I've been working at a media-related nonprofit. My thesis research was a content analysis of television sitcoms from 1950-2009 looking for paternal social support given to children. I'm interested in the intersection of family and entertainment media, so I was really excited by the number of faculty at OSU studying similar areas. What's your area of interest?

I am interested in studying interpersonal communication and close relationships. Yes, it sounds like several faculty's research at OSU aligns well with yours. Congrats!

On 12/9/2019 at 12:15 PM, sea382 said:

Hi, I got an email from OSU's department of communication today. I also got admitted!

Edited by fffighting

Interested in media psychology, social network, technological affordances. Applying to:

- Boston University

- UC Davis

- UW Seattle 

- UTA 

- UPenn

- UWM (Journalism and mass comm)

- Cornell

- UCSB

- UGA

- Washington State University

Edited by JIAYU SUN

On 12/10/2019 at 1:52 AM, sea382 said:

Congrats!!! One of my friends also received her PhD offer from OSU today! Can I know what other programs are you applying to?

Edited by JIAYU SUN

Hi, 

I'm interested in public opinion, emotions, and social media, focusing on the spread of political misinformation from a comparative, cross-national perspective. 

I'm applying to Stanford, University of Texas-Austin (Journalism), University of Pennsylvania, University of Michigan, and University of Illinois-Urbana Champagne. 

1 hour ago, JIAYU SUN said:

Congrats!!! One of my friends also received her PhD offer from OSU today! Can I know what other programs are you applying to?

That's great!! I'm also applying to UNC at Chapel Hill, University of Florida, Rutgers, Penn State, and University of South Florida. 

Hi guys!! Congrats to everyone who got their admission decisions already! That's super exciting :-)

I applied to Stanford, UC Berkeley, Columbia, NYU and CUNY - my interests lie in the intersection between digital misinformation and health (in particular emerging infectious diseases). Hoping I get positive answers (I think I have to wait until mid-Feb at the earliest :/). 

Hello everyone!

First of all, good luck with the upcoming submission deadlines!

How many universities did you (any of you) apply to for the PhD communication program? I wasn't sure as to how many I should applied to, so I went with a healthy high number! After doing a bit of research from past years, it seems like the admissions letters will come in around late January to early March. This depends on the school of course. On the actual application site, only one or two specified when the notification would actually be sent for graduate admissions. Understandably, each department is different. Ohio seems to have come in early, but I didn't apply there!

What were your feelings on the GRE? For me the writing might have been a boost, but math has never been my strong suite. Anyways, I'm interested in finding out 

17 hours ago, Rosen said:

Hello everyone!

First of all, good luck with the upcoming submission deadlines!

How many universities did you (any of you) apply to for the PhD communication program? I wasn't sure as to how many I should applied to, so I went with a healthy high number! After doing a bit of research from past years, it seems like the admissions letters will come in around late January to early March. This depends on the school of course. On the actual application site, only one or two specified when the notification would actually be sent for graduate admissions. Understandably, each department is different. Ohio seems to have come in early, but I didn't apply there!

What were your feelings on the GRE? For me the writing might have been a boost, but math has never been my strong suite. Anyways, I'm interested in finding out 

I am applying to six universities. I think it's just a matter of how many institutions you're actually interested in pursuing and how much time you want to spend applying. :)   As far as the GRE, the writing is the worst part for me. I retook it this fall and got a 4.0 again. My verbal is high and my quant is pretty good, but I think the GRE is usually considered as just one of multiple factors (and is perhaps not a super important one?) institutions look at in determining whether or not they want to offer admission. Best of luck on all your applications!

Hey everyone,

I need some advice about one of my applications. I applied to Brown's Modern Culture and Media program over the weekend. They ask for ALL* schools that you've attended (in bolded letters) so I wanted to be sure I included everything. I just graduated from a master's program at Duke, but before I got to Duke I took one course at Hunter College in New York as a part-time student in the Art History MA program. I honestly barely remember taking the course (it was a couple of years ago) and I don't have a transcript or evidence that I took the class. I added Hunter the Education section of the app, and attached a short paragraph where the transcript is supposed to go explaining why I took this course. I thought had received a B+ in the course so I wrote the letter grade in the description. I checked back after the fact and realized that I actually got a B minus. 

I'm honestly kicking myself today because I feel like I totally messed up this section of the app. I was surprised they wanted every* school so I didn't have the transcript ready or on hand from this one course. I can't believe I reported something incorrectly, and I'm worried this looks really sloppy. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this? How bad will this look on my application? I have accurate transcripts for my master's degree and undergrad, and the rest of my app is totally fine. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2019 at 7:22 AM, ffayo104 said:

Hi all, 

Congrats to everyone who got into OSU! Wow. 

My interests are media effects/media psych/health comm, and I'm applying for Penn State, Cornell, SUNY Buffalo, Florida State, UCSB, UC Davis. 

It seems that we have similar research interest. ?My interests are media psychology/ online communities/ social media affordances.  And I also apply for Cornell, UCSB, UC Davis, but I am still working on the UCSB online application form... Can I know more about your background??‍♀️I have several research experience but I don't have any publications. Good luck for your application!

Edited by JIAYU SUN

18 hours ago, JIAYU SUN said:

It seems that we have similar research interest. ?My interests are media psychology/ online communities/ social media affordances.  And I also apply for Cornell, UCSB, UC Davis, but I am still working on the UCSB online application form... Can I know more about your background??‍♀️I have several research experience but I don't have any publications. Good luck for your application!

Haha, we have pretty similar research interest and background as well. My research interests are media psychology & info tech. I also applied for Cornell, UCSB and UC Davis. I have several research experiences but no publications as well. I only have a Bachelor's degree though, so I'm feeling pretty insecure D:

On 12/25/2019 at 6:39 AM, JIAYU SUN said:

22 hours ago, gradlurker said:

Haha, we have pretty similar research interest and background as well. My research interests are media psychology & info tech. I also applied for Cornell, UCSB and UC Davis. I have several research experiences but no publications as well. I only have a Bachelor's degree though, so I'm feeling pretty insecure ?

I only have one pub and some research experience but not in the areas I'm working on. I have heard it's normal not to have any pubs before doing PhD anyway, or so I reassured myself. 

None of these programs requires you to get an MA first right? Also, a college graduate with a bunch of research experience seems pretty competitive to me. Let's hope we all get in :)