2020 Religion Application Thread

NyarkoSan

46 minutes ago, xypathos said:

Yale also doesn’t interview.

Yale (Religious Studies) does interview. I had an interview a few days ago. I cannot claim they interview everyone they are interested in, but that's not to say they do not interview.

Technically, all PhD departments at Yale are supposed to interview, assuming this policy is still in effect. That said, I'm sure there are professors out there who don't do it.

My interview is later today, but it seems like it will be just a brief chat on the phone. 

20 hours ago, soitgoes said:

Yale (Religious Studies) does interview. I had an interview a few days ago. I cannot claim they interview everyone they are interested in, but that's not to say they do not interview.

Apologies! They weren’t interviewing when I applied and didn’t know that it had changed.

I got an email invite to a Skype interview for BUSTH today (Theology, Ethics, and Philosophy track). I'm excited but super nervous. I don't feel like interviews are my strength, but we'll see. Also applied to UVA and Drew, but nothing from them yet. I'm so thankful to have found this forum! 

6 hours ago, batyah said:

I got an email invite to a Skype interview for BUSTH today (Theology, Ethics, and Philosophy track). I'm excited but super nervous. I don't feel like interviews are my strength, but we'll see. Also applied to UVA and Drew, but nothing from them yet. I'm so thankful to have found this forum! 

Same!! Sending you best wishes :)

1 hour ago, Eshearer said:

@batyah I also applied to Boston and UVA! I haven't heard anything from either of them yet.  Congrats on Boston! 

From what I can see, UVA doesn't typically interview, just emails, and that maybe next week or so is usual time, and that they have wait lists too. 

Boston seemed to have a less clear pattern. Hope process goes well for you. I think Drew (my MDiv alma mater) is my first choice but I know they accept only about 2 students in the division (Religion and Society) out of about 18 applicants, so I'm very anxious about my chances. 

51 minutes ago, batyah said:

From what I can see, UVA doesn't typically interview, just emails, and that maybe next week or so is usual time, and that they have wait lists too. 

Boston seemed to have a less clear pattern. Hope process goes well for you. I think Drew (my MDiv alma mater) is my first choice but I know they accept only about 2 students in the division (Religion and Society) out of about 18 applicants, so I'm very anxious about my chances. 

Do you know when Drew usually gets back to people?

I'm applying for the M.A. in Religion at Syracuse, but also M.A. programs for Southeast Asian Studies at Cornell and Wisconsin-Madison with concentrations in religion/history of religion. Excited, but also deeply wracked with stress and nerves on a daily basis lol. 

my background is a double major undergrad in history and religious studies (with a broad concentration of "asia") from an R1 university that isn't super well-known but it is a good school. 

UPenn just sent me an email regarding an interview this upcoming week. Good luck to anyone else also going through the process. 

(Also if anyone has advice for this sort of thing, please hit me up)

Edited by NyarkoSan

19 minutes ago, foucaultsturtleneck said:

Was the email from a POI or the department at large?

POI, but phrased that the admissions committee would like to interview. 

Does this change things?

1 hour ago, gls2814 said:

I have an interview with Columbia Religion soon. Y'all wish me luck. This is my #2 choice

Congrats! What subfield? I did my MA at Columbia and still know a lot of the students there. There are some great folx around.

21 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Congrats! What subfield? I did my MA at Columbia and still know a lot of the students there. There are some great folx around.

Thanks! North American Religions. I am really excited about the program and my stomach is in absolute knots right now. I just know my nerves will get the best of me and I will sound crazy and incompetent. 

13 minutes ago, SAH08 said:

Anyone know if Princeton Theological Seminary interviews for the PhD program?

I don’t believe they do, but it’s possible I’m wrong (or that things have changed). I also applied and am eagerly waiting to hear back!!

Edited by saab