2020 Religion Application Thread

NyarkoSan

Hey everyone, I just saw that some people received invitations for interviews from Upenn. I also received an email but not from my POI, but was also told that it will be with the admissions committee. Does anyone know what their interviews are like and who is in the committee?

And did anyone receive emails from Columbia for other subfields? Thanks!

2 hours ago, SAH08 said:

Anyone know if Princeton Theological Seminary interviews for the PhD program?

I have no idea what the official policy is. A friend of mine did have an interview of some type with them a year or two ago--but that may or may not be their policy. They may have just had more questions for him. 

41 minutes ago, blitner said:

I got the same email, and it was not from my POI. 

29 minutes ago, Anonymon1234 said:

Hey everyone, I just saw that some people received invitations for interviews from Upenn. I also received an email but not from my POI, but was also told that it will be with the admissions committee. Does anyone know what their interviews are like and who is in the committee?

And did anyone receive emails from Columbia for other subfields? Thanks!

Good luck everyone.

Hmm, I did have an email that my POI had yet to respond to before interviews went out, maybe they used the email as an opportunity to reply and ensure they didn't leave me hanging.

I wonder how many people are getting interviewed. What are your research areas, if I may ask?

21 minutes ago, bigsh said:

I have no idea what the official policy is. A friend of mine did have an interview of some type with them a year or two ago--but that may or may not be their policy. They may have just had more questions for him. 

I applied two years ago, and there was only a Skype interview. Not sure if that differs depending on your area of study, though. 

22 hours ago, bigsh said:

Thanks everyone for the info! Best to all applying. We can do this! 

4 hours ago, gls2814 said:

I guess I didn't get into Virginia's Religion program. There's at least 3 acceptances on the results page and I didn't get an interview or even a status update.

I haven't heard anything from them either. But hoping for at least a wait-list!

Saw on the results page that someone was accepted to FSU "Religion" Ph.D. Does anyone want to claim it? Is this Religious Studies? If so, what track? I applied to American Religious History and felt pretty good after a campus visit in the fall, but lack of word wears on the nerves!

1 hour ago, saab said:

What do you think? Is this going to be the week that things start moving? Or are we still a week or so away!?

I'm hoping for this week, but I think next week is more realistic-- Based upon previous years. 

I was accepted to Brown via email today (Religion and Critical Thought subfield). This is my second time applying, after a round of 6 “NO” replies. For personal reasons, I am not even sure if I’ll enter a PhD program next Fall (there’s a lot going on in the background here that I won’t get into), but just wanted to tell people who don’t get in the first round that hope is not lost!

I have my interview for Boston University tomorrow over Zoom. Anyone been through an interview before? What's it like? I've seen some of the generic questions on other threads - any theological/religion specific insights folks can share? 

On 2/4/2020 at 7:24 PM, FearNTrembling said:

Just received an e-mail inviting me to (Skype) interview for the Ph.D. in Religion at Syracuse University. 

I received the same notification by for the master's program! Congrats and good luck @FearNTrembling!

Edited by elizbiz
add

I just received an email for a Skype interview with the graduate committee at Syracuse. I'm applying for the masters program and am surprised by the interview! Anyone have any virtual interview tips? What should I prepare for? What's really good to mention/emphasize to them? I have done phone interviews before, but never a video chat one.