2020 Religion Application Thread

NyarkoSan

9 hours ago, professionalmethodist said:

I heard from a friend who interviewed with BUSTH (Phd) that they would hear on Friday about their status. So, it appears that BUSTH is a week delayed than they have been historically, but there will be some answers this week.

As in BUSTH is letting people know about their status this coming Friday (Feb. 21) or they were supposed to alert people last Friday (Feb. 14)? 

40 minutes ago, SAH08 said:

As in BUSTH is letting people know about their status this coming Friday (Feb. 21) or they were supposed to alert people last Friday (Feb. 14)? 

As in, those who applied would learn their status this Friday (2/21). Historically, it’s always fallen on the same weekend as last weekend. 

14 hours ago, batyah said:

Sorry to hear, @duckie0817. Congrats @Dewey! Very encouraging to hear about someone that persisted after rejections and got in the next year. Did you do something differently this year in your application process? Or focus on some area of improvement? I'm still waiting for results, but thinking ahead to what I will do if this year isn't it for me.

After I let some time pass, I eventually reached out to professors at places where I was considering re-applying to ask their thoughts. One essentially told me that I got burned on timing (they didn't accept students in my subfield that year), another gave more substantive feedback. I had more to go on the second time around - the first time I was still in an MA program; the second time I had completed a MA thesis and had a clearer picture of a potential research project based on that thesis. I was able to reference specific authors, texts, etc. more confidently, and (I think) had a more compelling case to make for myself in my personal statement.

As for a writing sample, I actually submitted the same one, but I revised portions of it substantially. One thing I noticed was that in some recent journals, there were articles that intersected with what I was doing in my writing sample (and sometimes by professors at the institutions I was applying to!), so I updated the sample to reflect that. Hope that helps - happy to talk more about it if you DM me.

12 hours ago, _Athena_ said:

By chance, does anyone have information on when Columbia and UPenn might send out decisions?

I had an interview with Columbia, and my POI estimated that decisions would be made this week. I can’t speak to how soon notifications should follow.

13 hours ago, _Athena_ said:

By chance, does anyone have information on when Columbia and UPenn might send out decisions?

I heard from UPenn (acceptance) Sunday evening from the department chair. Official notices to come. 

9 minutes ago, blitner said:

I heard from UPenn (acceptance) Sunday evening from the department chair. Official notices to come. 

Seconding this. I was also accepted Sunday night.

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

After I let some time pass, I eventually reached out to professors at places where I was considering re-applying to ask their thoughts. One essentially told me that I got burned on timing (they didn't accept students in my subfield that year), another gave more substantive feedback. I had more to go on the second time around - the first time I was still in an MA program; the second time I had completed a MA thesis and had a clearer picture of a potential research project based on that thesis. I was able to reference specific authors, texts, etc. more confidently, and (I think) had a more compelling case to make for myself in my personal statement.

As for a writing sample, I actually submitted the same one, but I revised portions of it substantially. One thing I noticed was that in some recent journals, there were articles that intersected with what I was doing in my writing sample (and sometimes by professors at the institutions I was applying to!), so I updated the sample to reflect that. Hope that helps - happy to talk more about it if you DM me.

Thanks so much - this is very helpful!

42 minutes ago, thiscalltoarms said:

@batyah

Drew just updated their admissions portal, but I don't think emails have gone out yet...

28 minutes ago, duckie0817 said:

Yes, I just got in ???

I got in too!!! I'm SO EXCITED and RELIEVED! YAY!!!!!

How common is it for programs to update the portal prior to a phone call or email? I'm wondering if I should check my accounts more frequently rather than waiting by the phone? 

7 minutes ago, SAH08 said:

How common is it for programs to update the portal prior to a phone call or email? I'm wondering if I should check my accounts more frequently rather than waiting by the phone? 

I was under the impression that the portal would email you automatically when there’s a change, but then again, I never actually got an email from Yale... so I’m not particularly sure.

1 hour ago, gls2814 said:

Has anyone been officially rejected from UVA yet? I keep wondering when they're going to send them

Not yet. Still on wait list.

4 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I heard from a lil birdie that Columbia will be emailing everybody tomorrow. 

Well, I didn't want to sleep tonight, anyway. ? Thanks for sharing!

4 hours ago, Dewey said:

I heard from a lil birdie that Columbia will be emailing everybody tomorrow. 

Oh God I'm not ready. Did you interview with them? I had one and I'm not sure how it went