2020 Religion Application Thread

NyarkoSan

1 hour ago, kenshiro said:

I have to say I'm pretty surprised that there was a Skype interview process for the GPR; that's a significant change of protocol. Was your interview with people you listed as your potential POIs, or faculty chosen at random? Invites for on-campus interviews have gone out already, and in years past that has been a soft acceptance; it remains to be seen whether that's still the case.

The email invitation for the interview was from the convener for the subfield, and the interview was with my potential POI, subfield convener, and another professor in the subfield.

Yes! It turned out I didn't have to languish on the wait list too long; I just got the email that I was accepted to my No. 1 choice (FSU)! Now I'm all shaky ... having trouble processing that this is actually happening.

5 hours ago, Rauschenbusch said:

Yes! It turned out I didn't have to languish on the wait list too long; I just got the email that I was accepted to my No. 1 choice (FSU)! Now I'm all shaky ... having trouble processing that this is actually happening.

Congrats! Wonderful! 

10 hours ago, Eshearer said:

Still looking for that BU rejection.  Bound to happen soon!

Are they finished with interviews? I'm guessing no interview at this point means a rejection? 

Hi, total newb here. This was my first time applying this round for PhDs in Religion. Applied to Duke ThD, Vandy PhD, BU PhD, SMU PhD, and GETS PhD in Christian History (or its equivalent). I got in years ago when I did an app for a PhD in Urban History, but I had to withdraw from the offer because of a health issue. 

Today was the first day I heard a peep, and it was a rejection letter from Duke DDS in the ThD program. 

The waiting is miserable.

Edited by professionalmethodist

I know of one Duke NT phd acceptance who is waiting to hear back from another program - in case someone here is on the waitlist for that sub field. 

My understanding is that if they are accepted at another program, they will decline the Duke offer.

Condolences to all who received rejections today. 

Does anyone know about the following programs? 

1. BUSTH? (Ph.D. Practical Theology)

2. PTS? (Ph.D. Practical Theology)

3. Harvard? (Ph.D. Religion, Christianity) 

Thank you! 

2 hours ago, NyarkoSan said:

Rejected from BU. Starting to really get stressed.

Sorry to hear that :( I haven't heard anything from them yet, but I'm School of Theology, not Religion. 

Hello everyone! I am new here. Just discovered this thread yesterday. I am currently a senior applying for an MA in History of Christianity/Church History (Pre-modern) as well as in Art History (Medieval). I am waiting to hear back from Yale Divinity, UChicago Divinity, Notre Dame (both MTS and ECS), and the Catholic University. Does anyone have any insight into these programs? (When we should expect to hear back, acceptance rate, etc?) Thanks!

I applied almost exclusively to PhD programs in History this year but also applied to Princeton's PhD in Religions of Mediterranean Antiquity in the Dept of Religion. Based on past years it looks like the results for that will come out at the end of next week (i.e. around Friday 2/21). I graduated recently with an MDiv from HDS -- as I recall, when I was accepted their notification went out on March 15th and I believe they release all masters-level results -- good news or bad news -- around that date every year. The waiting has been agonizing for me this year -- I only started to feel better this morning when I decided that I'll try again in the fall if I strike out again (I applied to two programs last year which were way too far outside of my field of training, PoliSci, and thought I'd be safer this year with 8 programs closer to home, but I didn't get any interviews or waitlist notifications and fear for the worst while continuing to hope for the best).

2 hours ago, Fiat said:

Hello everyone! I am new here. Just discovered this thread yesterday. I am currently a senior applying for an MA in History of Christianity/Church History (Pre-modern) as well as in Art History (Medieval). I am waiting to hear back from Yale Divinity, UChicago Divinity, Notre Dame (both MTS and ECS), and the Catholic University. Does anyone have any insight into these programs? (When we should expect to hear back, acceptance rate, etc?) Thanks!

To my knowledge, many of these schools come out with results around March 15.

Edited by duckie0817

3 hours ago, duckie0817 said:

I know Yale's decisions come out on March 15, and I have heard that ND would call those who are accepted in late Feb don't know if this is true...

9 hours ago, duckie0817 said:

If you are in at Notre Dame, you will hear back around Feb. 22/23.  If you don't hear back then, you got dinged.  I was waitlisted last year to their MTS.  The year before that I was dinged.  Hence I know.  From experience.