Anyone (1) receive an interview invitation from the Physical Sciences panel, (2) hear anything since Friday 12/6, or (3) get an official rejection email?   

Like many others, I still haven't heard anything, and at this point suspect the Trust is just waiting to release a whole hurricane of rejections (including mine) on Friday 12/20.  

Thoughts?

6 hours ago, Double_Espresso said:

Anyone (1) receive an interview invitation from the Physical Sciences panel, (2) hear anything since Friday 12/6, or (3) get an official rejection email?   

Like many others, I still haven't heard anything, and at this point suspect the Trust is just waiting to release a whole hurricane of rejections (including mine) on Friday 12/20.  

Thoughts?

I emailed my department (chemistry) this week and they informed me that I didn't make it past their departmental ranking. However, I haven't received any kind of rejection from G-C yet.

On 12/12/2019 at 10:00 PM, aliceoutofwonderland said:

@Jillybean06 weird! I figured it was a waitlist situation but that makes me a little less certain - I know I was nominated by my department. Looking back on old threads it seems like the interview offers are all sent out at once and then rejections trickle in through January, but no harm in being hopeful!

I think I assumed we would get a rejection notice if we weren’t nominated at all, especially as the Gates site says all applicants are notified by December 20. Guess we will see Friday!

Also, it seems some departments wait until they complete the degree committee hearings to nominate, if they don’t have any strong candidates to put forward at early admission. I pestered some people with GC and at the Uni and was told we could be waitlisted due to pending nominations, and it was implied (though not directly stated) that we would be informed Friday about waitlist status. However, I haven’t seen many people on previous years’ threads report waitlist notices. That could be self-selection or a misinterpretation of info on my part, though. Either way, I feel alright about submitting early and not getting a rejection from Cambridge itself if they had to look at my GC app already to decide on shortlisting.

11 minutes ago, Double_Espresso said:

Me too!   I guess by sending early interview offers on 12/6, and then waiting until 12/20 to send an avalanche of rejections, Gates (unintentionally) did a pretty good job of managing down expectations.

Received Gates Cambridge rejection email this morning. Disappointed but oh well. Congrats to those who got interviews! My PhD application is still in departmental review, which is the same status it’s been in for over two months. I’m hoping the Gates rejection isn’t a negative sign for my broader application.

Hey all, I was successful in applying for Gates last year - PhD Astronomy, interviewed by Skype with the Physical Sciences panel

If anyone has been invited to interview and wants some tips, PM me! 

[although obviously I can't give much advice for fields very different to my own, different panels and all]

No, you won't get anyone from the Trust. Your interviewers will be mostly previous scholars. I was interviewed by two engineers and a chemist, and Luisa sent their names shortly before the interview. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a slack group/groupme of people waiting to hear back/who have been selected for the scholarship or google spreadsheet with info about interviews and such? I heard this was a thing for Rhodes and Fulbright, but wasn't sure if the same was true for Gates.

@Moremi Also in the international round, haven't heard back yet.

Any international applicant heard back from their department yet? I applied by the Jan 7th deadline and my program requires an interview. However my app status has been stuck in "submitted" ever since. Is anyone seeing the same thing? 

I assume if I don't hear back about an acceptance before the trust starts shortlisting in mid-Feb, that automatically means it's been rejected? 

• 2 weeks later...

hey all - also an international applicant here and figured I’d get in on the waiting game with you all. got my acceptance into my program and a college and just hoping a scholarship comes through to make the dream happen! I think we’re to find out mid-March if we were shortlisted. Anyone applied to the Smuts or HRH one, too? I can’t find any info on Smuts - # of scholarships, adjudication criteria, notification dates, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2020 at 9:53 PM, Castles said:

Any international applicant heard back from their department yet? I applied by the Jan 7th deadline and my program requires an interview. However my app status has been stuck in "submitted" ever since. Is anyone seeing the same thing? 

I assume if I don't hear back about an acceptance before the trust starts shortlisting in mid-Feb, that automatically means it's been rejected? 

Has your department interviewed you already?