On 2/21/2020 at 1:25 PM, vector55 said:

Has your department interviewed you already? 

Yes, I was told that my department runs things a little differently. Apparently they had nominated candidates without an interview or an offer, but then they wait until more applications after the funding deadline come in, and then interview and make offer altogether. It's a little strange but I guess it meant the interviews for the nominated candidates would be more of a formality. I have no ideas whether I was nominated or not however. Do you know when the Gates interview invites are going to be out? It seems like historically the invites come earlier than the rejections. 

I have received a conditional offer from Cambridge, I am a non-US citizen so I have applied for the second round. I have also applied to Gates Cambridge, however, I am abit worried, I don't know if Gates Cambridge consider applicants with Conditional offer or not. Any thoughts ? 

On 2/5/2020 at 7:46 PM, vector55 said:

I am an international applicant waiting expectantly for an interview invite. Any Gates interview tips, suggestions etc perhaps from this year (US applicants) or past years?

Hello, first of all good luck for your interview. During the application period there was two questions: 

Apply for Cambridge Trust  and Apply for Gates Cambridge. I clicked No for trust and Yes for Cambridge, do you know what is the difference, would this affect my application ? ( I got a conditional offer ). 

On 2/23/2020 at 1:18 PM, Castles said:

Yes, I was told that my department runs things a little differently. Apparently they had nominated candidates without an interview or an offer, but then they wait until more applications after the funding deadline come in, and then interview and make offer altogether. It's a little strange but I guess it meant the interviews for the nominated candidates would be more of a formality. I have no ideas whether I was nominated or not however. Do you know when the Gates interview invites are going to be out? It seems like historically the invites come earlier than the rejections. 

Congratulations!

If the past years are anything to go by, I would say certainly before the end of next week. Yes, invites come earlier cause they give folks a few days to accept or reject the  invites, and let the rest of the people know by mid-march ( March 13th or so). 

23 hours ago, query123 said:

Hello, first of all good luck for your interview. During the application period there was two questions: 

Apply for Cambridge Trust  and Apply for Gates Cambridge. I clicked No for trust and Yes for Cambridge, do you know what is the difference, would this affect my application ? ( I got a conditional offer ). 

I don't think it will affect your Gates  but you really won't lose anything by clicking both. I learned from a video on their Youtube channel that apart from the prestige that comes with Gates, the only difference between the two is that Gates pays for your flight at the beginning and at the end of your program. Pretty much same amount of funding

Congrats on your offer by the way!

Edited by vector55

23 hours ago, query123 said:

I have received a conditional offer from Cambridge, I am a non-US citizen so I have applied for the second round. I have also applied to Gates Cambridge, however, I am abit worried, I don't know if Gates Cambridge consider applicants with Conditional offer or not. Any thoughts ? 

Yes,  you are good. I would say pretty much everyone is conditional at this point.  

On 2/24/2020 at 7:15 PM, query123 said:

If you ticked yes for Gates then your department will consider putting you forwards for Gates, and if they do, then Gates will assess you.

If you ticked no for the Trust, then you are effectively no longer in the running for most other scholarships though. Aside from Gates and a few scholarships within your first-choice college, nearly everything is administered by the Trust. 

The offer and the funding are separate. No one is going to have an unconditional offer before scholarships are awarded because one of your conditions is a financial one, which the scholarship can satisfy. If you have a conditional offer, you have a conditional offer. But getting funding is an entirely different round. If you don't get funding then your offer stays as it is, but you'll have to pay it out of your own pocket. They're not going to consider people for scholarships who wouldn't get an offer, so it's no advantage on your end to have a conditional. 

Because I couldn't find a slack group, I decided to make one for those in the international round waiting. Thought it'd be a good idea to keep each other company and encourage one another.

Here's the link: https://join.slack.com/t/gatescambridg-tfo7619/shared_invite/enQtOTcxNTI0NTYyOTUwLWUwYzRiZjZmMDgxMDA3NThlZmVjZWMzMGJmYTM1ZmI2NjUwOGQwMWIwMDE4NTBkZDZkNmEzMmVkYWI0ZDM3ZjY

Look forward to meeting folks!

44 minutes ago, marimach said:

Do they send all interview invitations in the same day (today, as it seems) or could I hear next week?

I think you can hear any time between now and March 13th (the date on the website) because some people might turn down the invites cause they have other plans or accepted offers from other universities or scholarships programs, however, the closer it gets to March 13, the lesser the chance of hearing good news. 

Edited by vector55

On 2/25/2020 at 10:20 AM, vector55 said:

Congratulations!

If the past years are anything to go by, I would say certainly before the end of next week. Yes, invites come earlier cause they give folks a few days to accept or reject the  invites, and let the rest of the people know by mid-march ( March 13th or so). 

It looked like in previous years if someone hasn't heard back on the day they sent out invites, they are typically rejected right? Are there actually people who receive invites after the first wave of invites?

Hey, all,

Education PhD offer-holder here. I'm an American living abroad, and got the exciting news I've been offered a Gates interview! Wishing good luck to all still waiting.

Does anyone have any advice on the Skype interview process, or links to advice given in the past? I have a friend who interviewed in the US round, but I'm curious what the Skype interviews are like -- and how I should prepare. Crazy it's only a 20-minute conversation!

1 hour ago, mada34 said:

Hey, all,

Education PhD offer-holder here. I'm an American living abroad, and got the exciting news I've been offered a Gates interview! Wishing good luck to all still waiting.

Does anyone have any advice on the Skype interview process, or links to advice given in the past? I have a friend who interviewed in the US round, but I'm curious what the Skype interviews are like -- and how I should prepare. Crazy it's only a 20-minute conversation!

I wrote up a blog post about my experiences a while back, hopefully the link is allowed here (I gain nothing from it, not even ad revenue):

https://www.paytonelyce.com/blog/2019/4/17/a-guide-to-graduate-scholarships/#the-interview

On 2/29/2020 at 11:25 AM, mada34 said:

Hey, all,

Hey! When did you submit your application? I also applied to the Education PhD, though I haven't heard back from the department or Gates. :/

On 3/5/2020 at 12:54 PM, What'sTheWord said:

Hey! When did you submit your application? I also applied to the Education PhD, though I haven't heard back from the department or Gates. ?

Hey there! I applied just before the funding deadline in December. I moved to GAO on Jan 28, and had my conditional offer a few days after that.

Sorry this is taking so long -- what a drawn-out, painful process this is. Wishing you best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2020 at 6:08 AM, query123 said:

I have been short listed for the interview but I received a mail that they won't be conducting the interview with me due to the virus. They said there will be an application review process. Anyone in the same boat?

same boat. I think it's the same process for everyone. Good luck!

4 hours ago, foreigncorrespondent said:

Anyone else in the international round receive an acceptance? :) Got mine today! (Arts Panel, PhD)

Congrats!! ?

I was also shortlisted for the international round but haven't heard back yet (MPhil, Biological Sciences Panel). I'm assuming I have been unsuccessful as they usually let successful candidates know before they send out rejections... ?

Edited by aidlich

3 hours ago, aidlich said:

Congrats!! ?

I was also shortlisted for the international round but haven't heard back yet (MPhil, Biological Sciences Panel). I'm assuming I have been unsuccessful as they usually let successful candidates know before they send out rejections... ?

It could well be that they are sending out offers by panel-by-panel, so don't lose hope! :)

10 hours ago, foreigncorrespondent said:

It could well be that they are sending out offers by panel-by-panel, so don't lose hope! :)

I hope so – I'm not very optimistic though, if it's like interview shortlisting they don't operate on a panel-by-panel basis...

Major congrats to you!! ?

Edited by aidlich