International students PhD admissions

M246

15 hours ago, pipettingerror said:

Yes I applied directly to MCDB. I tried to open an application for PIBS but on the first page itself it made it clear that it was for US citizens only. I didn't dig too deep either since I was interested in MCDB anyway and the PI I reached out to also said to apply to that program. Let's see, if I don't hear from them for another two weeks that will pretty much confirm it. But fingers crossed for both! Quite keen on both these programs. 

Good luck!

On 1/1/2020 at 4:54 AM, bht said:

Hi everyone,

Are you planing to go on campus interviews or are you going to set a meeting over Skype? 

I got an on campus interview on Feb 5- Feb7. I will be actually in US until Feb 3. Do you think should I reschedule my flight and attend the interview?

Cheers

I would stay. Most school also have social activities during the interview weekend so you can get to know them, the faculty and current students, and the city/town where the school is in. The interview is for you to find out if this specific school is a good fit as well.

On 1/1/2020 at 8:56 PM, ndd23123 said:

I wouldn't lose hope on Vanderbilt though.

Right you were! Heard back from graduate program coordinator, she mentioned that my application had been reviewed favorably and they will get in touch to schedule an interview in the next two weeks!!! 

I reckon I heard back since I asked about the status of my application, but since she mentioned they will be coordinating interviews sometime during the next two weeks, I suspect other internationals might hear back during that time. Hope this helps someone! 

I’m an international student with a degree from a private US institution. I’m applying to:

-UW Seattle (MCB, M3D, Pharmacology, and Immunology

-UT Houston/MD Anderson GSBS

-Yale BBS, MMPP track

Update: Signed up for interview/recruitment weekends with UW M3D and Pharmacology. Got a rejection from MCB (VERY competitive and not my best fit, so neither surprised nor disappointed:)). I've gotten no news since the holidays. 

UW M3D and Yale BBS are my top choices. So excited for the interview invite, and anxious waiting for ANY news on the other. Would be interested in knowing if Yale has invited all their candidates for the interview weekend. They accept applications up until the 2nd so crossing my fingers there might still be hope........ 

Good luck everyone! Stay positive:)

On 12/31/2019 at 3:37 PM, OncologyResearch said:

Hey all!

International applicant here that also hasn't heard back from anywhere.

I've applied to NYU Sackler Biomedical Sciences, Johns Hopkins CMM, Penn State Biomedical Sciences, and Roswell Park Cancer Sciences.

Hopefully we find out more by the end of this week! I'll let you all know any news I hear. Hopefully no news is good news indeed! :)

Still no news from anywhere I've applied to ?

Has anyone here heard back from anywhere lately?

Hopefully we'll hear from admissions teams soon ?

Edited by OncologyResearch

6 minutes ago, OncologyResearch said:

Still no news from anywhere I've applied to ?

Has anyone here heard back from anywhere lately?

Hopefully we'll hear from admissions teams soon ?

nothing here either, but at least 3 out of the 6 programs I applied to are still reviewing the profiles, from what I've heard here on gradcafe. 

Edited by verdandi

1 hour ago, verdandi said:

nothing here either, but at least 3 out of the 6 programs I applied to are still reviewing the profiles, from what I've heard here on gradcafe. 

Hey,

Which 3 programs are still reviewing profiles?

1 hour ago, M246 said:

Hey,

Which 3 programs are still reviewing profiles?

UNC BBSP, Vanderbilt and Case.

Edited by verdandi
edit with the comments I got the information from. 

On 1/1/2020 at 1:54 AM, bht said:

Hi everyone,

Are you planing to go on campus interviews or are you going to set a meeting over Skype? 

I got an on campus interview on Feb 5- Feb7. I will be actually in US until Feb 3. Do you think should I reschedule my flight and attend the interview?

Cheers

Personally speaking, an onsite interview will let you have a better chance of getting offers... And it's also a better way to know the school, program and PIs in person. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! Have any international applicants heard back from the following PhD programs? Starting to assume I have been rejected by all of them....

Emory GDBBS (Cancer Biology)

UPenn CAMB (Cancer Biology)

WUSTL DBBS (Cancer Biology)

Northwestern DGP-Driskill Life Sciences

Scripps Research Institute Graduate Program

For emory and Upenn, although I am applying for comp biol, I think they have already interviewed most bio programs. Hope they'll have make-up interviews, but very very unlikely...good luck for your UChicago and Scripps though....

Also, they are all very competitive programs...although I believe you are definitely competitive too and at least have some self-confidence....it is highly not recommended for internationals just applying for those very competitive programs because each of them only accepts very few internationals (mostly 1-2)....you probably need some safe schools like CU Denver, UCSC, UThealth-MDAnderson those very good but less well-known programs. Emory might be a good safe if you are good enough, but one safe will not actually make you really safe since you never know where those top internationals are applying for and if programs already have applicants with strong connections they have to say yes.

Hi,

I am an international student and I have an interview at Scripps CA. I have not heard back from Emory or UChicago. I emailed UPenn and was told that all interview invites have been sent out. I also emailed WUSTL a few weeks ago and was told my application was under review. Emory never replied to my email...

Hope this helps, Good luck!

1 minute ago, mablid said:

Hey! International student here. I applied to 4 phd programs - art history:

Columbia (art history) 
NYU Fine Arts Inst. (art history) 
Princeton (art history) 
Rutgers (art history) 

Haven't heard anything from all 4 ... stressed and panicked! Has anyone gotten responses from these schools departments yet?

I think maybe you should not post here though...here is for biological science...

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 1:04 AM, cancerbuddy said:

Hi, would like to ask if anyone heard from SUNY- Roswell Park Cancer Center? 
Applied to their PhD in cancer sciences program and nothing was heard from them... 

Emails had been sent but no replies at all.. 

Thanks.. 

Do not give any hope, it is rejection....