Gender/Feminist Studies (Fall 2020)

jenny67

1 hour ago, masthana said:

To the person waitlisted at UMN Feminist Studies, did they mention any more information, like if they've already decided their final candidates?

? 

I would like to know as well! I've been anxiously checking my email for a message from them

On 1/18/2020 at 3:16 PM, masthana said:

I got an interview invitation from the grad director of UCSC FMST earlier this week and got it done yesterday. He said I was shortlisted to their top 8 and they'll probably make 3-4 offers around mid-Feb. The decision also involves budgetary information the department has yet to receive, so the funding may shift the final number of offers.

Funny how the email said "relatively informal" but it was more formal than one of my other interviews (Anthro). Anyway, he basically dissected my whole SOP. I did my best, so we'll see. I'm a bit somber because I received my first rejection last night ? It was from the Anthro dept ^ from which my POI interviewed me 5 days after my app submission because she was so impressed...so I'm disappointed. Sigh. Anyway thanks for listening. 9 more decisions to wait on...

Same here! Got it done this past Tuesday the 21st - my interviewer also mentioned the thing about the budgetary decisions, they said they won't release the acceptances until they get the funding and won't accept anyone they don't get funding for. So... that's good and ethical, also stressful! Fingers crossed for both of us :) 

On 1/15/2020 at 12:05 PM, whatkilledthedinosaurs said:

Anyone else apply to a joint PhD program at UMichigan? My deadline for Women's Studies & History was December 2nd and I haven't heard anything back yet

I applied to the joint English & Women's Studies! the rest of my programs are English/literature. Nothing yet, I was under the impression I wouldn't hear until March

18 hours ago, jm6394 said:

I applied to the joint English & Women's Studies! the rest of my programs are English/literature. Nothing yet, I was under the impression I wouldn't hear until March

My friend applied to the joint PhD in Women's Studies and Psychology and got rejected on Friday, 1/17 :( Another person posted on the results section that they got rejected from the psych joint PhD as well so I think psych might be done earlier just because it's psych and those are typically done earlier

On 1/7/2020 at 9:16 PM, femstudies said:

I've heard back from Ohio State (Quick rejection), but nowhere else yet... Anxiously checking my emails every day!

I feel your pain. I received a quick rejection from Minnesota (phd program in sociology rather than gender studies. Although the programs are different but the pain is the same.

I wasn't surprised. Actually, I was super calm when I opened the email as if I already knew...

On 1/24/2020 at 2:07 PM, GradHopeful2020 said:

Same here! Got it done this past Tuesday the 21st - my interviewer also mentioned the thing about the budgetary decisions, they said they won't release the acceptances until they get the funding and won't accept anyone they don't get funding for. So... that's good and ethical, also stressful! Fingers crossed for both of us :)

Had either of you had prior contact with either of the faculty that interviewed you? 

2 hours ago, salterinthepark said:

Had either of you had prior contact with either of the faculty that interviewed you? 

The faculty that interviewed me was the grad director, who I had never contacted or mentioned in my SOP. They said they were offering me the interview on behalf of the committee. I had contacted two other faculty members in the department though.

11 hours ago, masthana said:

The faculty that interviewed me was the grad director, who I had never contacted or mentioned in my SOP. They said they were offering me the interview on behalf of the committee. I had contacted two other faculty members in the department though.

Mine was a faculty member I had mentioned in the SOP, but I hadn't contacted any faculty in the dept. 

1 hour ago, lkaitlyn said:

Anyone else starting to lose their minds waiting for UCLA?

Not waiting for UCLA response specifically but still waiting to hear back from my LAST opportunity (for F20 admission) for an acceptance with funding and I'm just about at my wits end. Part of me is like "if you just are patient you'll get in" and the other half is like "just tell me already I need to know!!!!" 

20 minutes ago, Plshelp said:

Not waiting for UCLA response specifically but still waiting to hear back from my LAST opportunity (for F20 admission) for an acceptance with funding and I'm just about at my wits end. Part of me is like "if you just are patient you'll get in" and the other half is like "just tell me already I need to know!!!!" 

Rooting for you! Did you apply to MA programs or PhDs?

3 hours ago, lkaitlyn said:

Rooting for you! Did you apply to MA programs or PhDs?

Here in solidarity for you as well! I applied to PhDs this round. I'm graduating from my gender studies M.A. program in May :) 

1 hour ago, CaliAcademic said:

100% lol! I wish they would provide us with a set notification date, or even just a range. But c'est la vie.

A friend of mine called. Apparently the committee decided last week on decisions and the department is probably going to try to release the decisions this week, but the person wasn't 100% sure. So hopefully we'll hear something soon!