Chances of getting into a top program w/ a low-ranked undergraduate institution? (Social psych/OB)

k_198

I can't speak to whether or not you can get into a program, but I can tell you that the ranking of your undergrad institution won't matter. I am at a VERY low ranked school and just got invited to interview at one of the top Developmental Psychology programs in the country. My situation is VERY different from yours and I can tell you that I was told again and again that all of my "real world" experience (12 years) combined with my research experience (2 labs, 3 first author posters) and my perfect research fit was what lead to PI's offering me interviews. 

So as many others have said, there is no magic formula, but if you don't get in this round I think you should go be a lab manager, get some publications/posters and then reapply in 2 years. But in the end, none of us have the "right" answer for you.

• 1 month later...

Looks like you have a solid shot. 

However, I wouldn't hang so much on that perfect SAT score. Graduate programs will not care about that. It mattered for undergrad, but don't get caught up clinging to that achievement. Instead, focus on your great GRE scores. I wouldn't even mention the SAT to grad programs as it might indicate immaturity since most college graduates don't talk about SAT scores.