Venting Thread - 2019 Applicants

Coconuts&Chloroform

36 minutes ago, Coconuts&Chloroform said:

I just received a personal email from a major POI (one of my favorite philosophers, really) at UMD telling me how much he liked my sample.

That's amazing! As I said to another buddy earlier (who I'm pretty sure I know who it is here), "It's always good to feel wanted." Sounds like you're very wanted there, and that's awesome. Congrats!

On 1/29/2020 at 8:50 PM, Coconuts&Chloroform said:

Checking the portal, I now notice that the mysterious expression 'Grad 20', which did not appear on my portal until just a few hours ago, is now all over my portal page.

Funny enough, I happened upon another thread in another field about this same thing, and it was clarified that all their applications said it, including both those who were eventually admitted and those who weren't. So it's just a logistical update.

Got into WUSTL (#21 USA), so I'm very happy about that, since my goal was to be in a Top 25 (USA) school. But now...I am SO anxious to hear back from the Top 20 (USA) schools! I haven't heard anything from any of those schools, and with the exception of Berkeley, it doesn't look like anyone has heard anything from them yet. Am I wrong about this, or have more of the Top 20 schools made decisions?

Anyone else feeling this way? 

Edited by Estudiante Graduado

So Berkeley's result-release date has been updated on the predictions speadsheet. How do we know that all acceptances are out for Berkeley (but not Toronto, for example)?

Also, congratulations to everyone who got into UMD! I did my undergrad at UMD and the department is full of the most brilliant and supportive people I’ve ever met. My AOIs aren’t really represented here, but their passion is enough to get me absolutely captivated, no matter the subject.

1 hour ago, midcentury said:

is Michigan going to start calling tomorrow for sure, or is that somebody’s guess on the spreadsheet?

The spreadsheet (I'm fairly certain) contains someone's estimates based on the past few years' decision release dates (I assume it's an averaging of the dates—perhaps a weighted one, favoring recent years). I've seen consecutive years where a school releases decisions weeks apart (one year 2/5, say, and then the next 2/27), so there is potential for extreme wiggle room. On the whole, though, the estimates seem to be at least somewhat accurate so far. 

Edited by energeia11235

56 minutes ago, seuil-limite said:

As I am now 3 rejections deep (out of 9) I am big stressed. Anyways. Are there any Master's programs that are still accepting applications? I have to do something and the idea of sending out more application seems like a good idea. 

Quite a few are still taking applications. That spreadsheet has a list of them and the deadlines. For example, University of Missouri-St. Louis has a later deadline. 

7 hours ago, seuil-limite said:

As I am now 3 rejections deep (out of 9) I am big stressed. Anyways. Are there any Master's programs that are still accepting applications? I have to do something and the idea of sending out more application seems like a good idea. 

If I'm not mistaken NYU's MA has a pretty late date. It's not considered a great MA, in spite of the reputation of the department, and it's almost completely unfunded, but if you're, say, already in the New York area, or could get a job there, it may not be the worst idea as a last-minute option.

Edited by Coconuts&Chloroform

I thought the application process would be much easier this time around given my experiences last year and the fact that I have more stuff to do whilst I am waiting but it has still been quite stressful.

I'm applying to UK programmes and I have only heard back from one of them so far (offered an interview which is great) but I am aware that they have started sending out rejections at one of my top choices and I am also aware that they have sent out some interview offers. It has been radio silence for me and this seems to make me think that I am probably on some sort of "hidden waitlist" and that I am not within their preferred choice of candidates. The person I know that has been offered an interview does work in a completely different field and so it is possible that my application is still undergoing review but it doesn't feel positive given that they usually interview applicants within the next two weeks.

It is hard not to ruminate about the process to begin with and everyday that passes by it becomes harder to concentrate on anything else. I pray that this week I will receive an interview offer!

22 hours ago, seuil-limite said:

As far as I know, Australian universities have rolling deadlines, opposed to "definite" deadlines in the US.

On 1/29/2020 at 8:50 PM, Coconuts&Chloroform said:

Okay, here's some cryptic stuff from Berkeley:

Checking the portal, I now notice that the mysterious expression 'Grad 20', which did not appear on my portal until just a few hours ago, is now all over my portal page. See the attached images. What could this mean? Am I 20th on some list? Does this just mean that I applied for acceptance in '20? If you applied to Berkley, it might be worth taking a look at yours to see if anything has changed.

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 9.42.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 9.46.06 PM.jpg

On 1/29/2020 at 9:10 PM, ericanei said:

haha I have this too dw dw. Must just be a reference to the F20 application season ^.^ 

I don't mean to speculate, but only logistical decisions are pending I think?

On 1/29/2020 at 9:42 PM, energeia11235 said:

I hope you're right that there's still a chance, but I kinda doubt that they would send out acceptances if they hadn't figured out exactly who they were accepting (so as to ensure a balanced set of subfields, for example).

Also, they probably only accepted 5-10 people. Hearing from 3 of those 5-10 seems like a pretty decent number (the rest might be too shy/too excited to post or unaware of these sites or something).

Anyway, I have the "Grad 20" too—so let's hope that we get some resolution soon. (Best of luck.)

The Grad 20 has disappeared from my application.

My POI at Berkeley wrote to me in January to inform me that he or she notified the chair of the admissions committee of his or her interest in working with me. I wrote to my POI last week to say that it looks like we will not be working with each other, thank you again, and we will cross paths at X in the future. My POI wrote back to say that, while he or she has not heard anything definite, he or she also cannot provide any assurance.

53 minutes ago, diodotus said:

My POI at Berkeley wrote to me in January to inform me that he or she notified the chair of the admissions committee of his or her interest in working with me. I wrote to my POI last week to say that it looks like we will not be working with each other, thank you again, and we will cross paths at X in the future. My POI wrote back to say that, while he or she has not heard anything definite, he or she also cannot provide any assurance.

The 'Grad 20' disappeared from my app as well.

Man, that sounds rough (I, at least, would have a hard time not getting my hopes up upon receiving such a note)—best of luck in all your apps (hope it ends up working out at Berkeley!).

1 hour ago, diodotus said:

Gone from mine as well. 

Good luck! It's hard to know what to make of this. But in any case, the fact that he or she was interested in your work and advocated for your acceptance bodes very well for your other applications.

On 2/8/2020 at 11:19 AM, syn said:

Quite a few are still taking applications. That spreadsheet has a list of them and the deadlines. For example, University of Missouri-St. Louis has a later deadline. 

The spreadsheet is down it seems but I really appreciate the reference to University of Missouri-St. Louis! It seems like an excellent program.

On 2/8/2020 at 5:34 PM, Coconuts&Chloroform said:

If I'm not mistaken NYU's MA has a pretty late date. It's not considered a great MA, in spite of the reputation of the department, and it's almost completely unfunded, but if you're, say, already in the New York area, or could get a job there, it may not be the worst idea as a last-minute option.

I will look into this! I have heard rather mixed things but if they are taking applications I will send one off probably. 

I am still holding out for my top choice (Emory) and think I have a very good chance at acceptance given my background in foreign languages. (Since this a venting thread I just want to say again that I really want to go to Emory and ugh. It does not have a great placement history but I think the program is so well fit to my research interests and what I want to do in philosophy.) Though, I cannot stake this whole thing on an intuition no matter how founded it is. 

Edited by seuil-limite

1 hour ago, Absurd'sTheWord said:

If it has been a month since you've seen an acceptance on here for one of the schools you've applied to, should you solicit? What's the etiquette for soliciting to find out about your status?

I don't know if there's any sort of standard, but I think if you have good reason, like having seen some things come through a month ago, that's fine. I don't see how inquiring would ever hurt you unless you're rude in your inquiry.