MGH IHP 2020

I applied! My mother is a principal, and her school's SLP just graduated from MGH IHP. She has told me so many amazing things about this program. I am very excited. She informed me that the school is searching for highly Diverse individuals. I am hoping that my experience and highly diverse background helps me out! Anyway, Good luck everyone!

I also applied! @littlet4lks I saw on another thread that you applied to Boston University, Northeastern University, and Emerson College like I did. I was wondering if you had any idea when we would hear back about interviews? 

7 hours ago, nas7 said:

I also applied! @littlet4lks I saw on another thread that you applied to Boston University, Northeastern University, and Emerson College like I did. I was wondering if you had any idea when we would hear back about interviews? 

@nas7 I looked at the results page from last year and it seems that people starting hearing back from Northeastern about interviews as early as Jan 28th! BU and Emerson were the first week of February. I am so anxious waiting lol!

My top choice is Columbia (I live in NYC currently and don't want to move lol and also want to have the bilingual option) but I also applied to BU, northeastern, MGH, NYU and northwestern. The waiting part sucks and I just want to know if I even have a shot at getting (& I was a little ambitious with my program options but also limited in where I could apply due to not having all the prereqs). But good luck!! Hopefully things pan out well for us!!

On 1/24/2020 at 10:32 AM, slphopefulmeg said:

finally caved and created an account after lurking - this program is one of my top choices as well and i'm super anxious to hear back. i'm out of field with minimal speech experience so i'm unsure of my chances, but i also applied to a lot of other boston/nyc schools. 

honestly around half of our cohort is out of field, the IHP loves having people with a variety of diverse experiences, so don't worry too much about having minimal speech experience! if you have solid essays (SOP and diversity essay), that's generally what they weigh the most. Best of luck!!

@samiamslp ah that’s good to hear!! I wrote my diversity essay about being lgbt and gender non-conforming & why that perspective is important in speech (& about my out of field background) which felt a little risky but i think my essays are strong and I was hoping MGH would be a program that would value that so fingers crossed! 

On 1/26/2020 at 6:14 AM, slphopefulmeg said:

@samiamslp ah that’s good to hear!! I wrote my diversity essay about being lgbt and gender non-conforming & why that perspective is important in speech (& about my out of field background) which felt a little risky but i think my essays are strong and I was hoping MGH would be a program that would value that so fingers crossed! 

I’m a current student at IHP and my personal statement was very similar. The school really does well with inclusivity and cultural competency. Our professors are open to all kinds of feedback so they can ensure that everyone learns and grows in a safe environment. I feel very safe and happy to be surrounded by a great cohort!

16 hours ago, BioCook said:

I’m a current student at IHP and my personal statement was very similar. The school really does well with inclusivity and cultural competency. Our professors are open to all kinds of feedback so they can ensure that everyone learns and grows in a safe environment. I feel very safe and happy to be surrounded by a great cohort!

Hi! I was wondering whether you got any funding or whether you know how many people in your cohort gets funding? If so, do you know how much people usually get? MGH is one of my choices but I'm not sure whether I can afford to live in Boston, even if I somehow get in! Thanks in advance for your help and time!

3 hours ago, bezalel said:

Hi! I was wondering whether you got any funding or whether you know how many people in your cohort gets funding? If so, do you know how much people usually get? MGH is one of my choices but I'm not sure whether I can afford to live in Boston, even if I somehow get in! Thanks in advance for your help and time!

I didn't get any funding and unfortunately don't know the actual numbers. I'd say you can make living in Boston work, depending on the neighborhood and your roommate situation. Many people make it work through GA positions, work, etc. You should call the IHP finance office and see if they have any info on scholarships/funding. Good luck!

50 minutes ago, SLPsoon2be said:

Hey, anyone heard back yet from any of the Boston schools? 

I am still anxious awaiting interview notifications from BU or Northeastern. I also applied to MGH but as far as I know they don't interviews. Are you waiting on BU and Northeastern as well? It seems like Northeastern is slowly sending out invites so I'm hoping in the next few days I will hear something 

9 minutes ago, slphopefulmeg said:

I am still anxious awaiting interview notifications from BU or Northeastern. I also applied to MGH but as far as I know they don't interviews. Are you waiting on BU and Northeastern as well? It seems like Northeastern is slowly sending out invites so I'm hoping in the next few days I will hear something 

Yes I applied to all of them. I got an interview at Emerson but haven’t heard anything from BU or Northeastern. Is there another thread on here that pertains to Northeastern? I couldn’t find one. Also, new to this website so it’s a little confusing! 

1 hour ago, SLPsoon2be said:

Yes I applied to all of them. I got an interview at Emerson but haven’t heard anything from BU or Northeastern. Is there another thread on here that pertains to Northeastern? I couldn’t find one. Also, new to this website so it’s a little confusing! 

If you look under the results section and search "speech pathology" or "speech pathology northeastern" you can see more info about interview invites. it is a little stressful to see everything there though lol

51 minutes ago, slphopefulmeg said:

Ah congrats!! I wasn't even sure if/when they were interviewing, I'm hoping they are just sending them in waves 

Thanks! And yeah I think someone told me that NEU sends everything out in waves!

On 2/3/2020 at 7:22 PM, SLPsoon2be said:

Hey, anyone heard back yet from any of the Boston schools? 

I heard back from Northeastern today, as well as Emerson last week. Looking at past results it looks like BU was the last to notify people out of the Boston schools! Hope this helps and good luck :)